SSO Home Depot Contest feeler

• Thread starter Customisbetter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
Nonono, no extra $200 for "guitar parts". That's the entire idea of the contest. It's obvious that you can't buy all the wood and propper hardware for $100... You need to get creative and make shit up as you go to stay within budget.

I agree all the wood and hardware can be made from random home depot stuff, but what about the pickup(s)?

Can we use whatever spares we have, or should we be winding our own pickups using whatever we can find/afford?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
I agree all the wood and hardware can be made from random home depot stuff, but what about the pickup(s)?

Can we use whatever spares we have, or should we be winding our own pickups using whatever we can find/afford?

I think you can buy pickups. Although it might be more "in the spirit of the contest" to make them yourself, I think they're an exception as long as they stay within your $100 budget.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
So, what exactly is the goal of this competition?

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
Build a guitar with stuff from home depot or other hardware stores for under $100. doesn't have to be fancy.

Gregori

Reaction score
Artec pickups are cheap. I believe they manufacture pickups for GFS and some others.

For knobs, I've used wine corks on cigar box guitars.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
But why? What is the point of that? Just to see if you can?

Or is the point to try to encourage new people to pick up some tools and show them that it's neither hard nor expensive to make a decent guitar? (That's the impression I got, which was why I suggested more reasonable limitations.)

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
Artec pickups are cheap. I believe they manufacture pickups for GFS and some others.

For knobs, I've used wine corks on cigar box guitars.

pots in general are a luxury, not necessity. You don't need them. you could build a guitar with one pickup and no controls at all.

Gregori

Reaction score

Or is the point to try to encourage new people to pick up some tools and show them that it's neither hard nor expensive to make a decent guitar? (That's the impression I got, which was why I suggested more reasonable limitations.)

It's a contest to see who can make a gem from junk materials. Or at least, that's what I thought it was.

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score

The point is to have fun, build a guitar and it helps that it can get people into building some themselves. Also, why not?

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
The point is to have fun, build a guitar and it helps that it can get people into building some themselves. Also, why not?

It's an interesting goal. I just don't think, at the very least, that tuning machines and pickups should be included in the $100 budget, simply because they are impractical things for most people to be able to cobble together from hardware store parts.

Gregori

Reaction score
It's an interesting goal. I just don't think, at the very least, that tuning machines and pickups should be included in the $100 budget, simply because they are impractical things for most people to be able to cobble together from hardware store parts.

If you really want to, you can use a piezo from Radio Shack($2 buzzer) for a pickup, and some eye bolts for tuners. But then we start getting into novelty instrument territory, which is cool for a beginner, but not very exciting to me(been there, done that).

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score

20130407212118104.jpg
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lu...esonator-microtonal-design-2.html#post3499207

Tuners. pickups aren't all that expensive if you don't plan on getting expensive ones. But I was wondering, what if I just do piezos?

EDIT: ninja'd.

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
If you're concerned about the budget, use most or all of it on pickups and tuners. you make most of the rest yourself.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Think of it as MacGyver stranded on a Home Depot. Outside of Homedepot are 10,00 honey badgers, so he needs to stay inside until the badgers starve to death or leave.

In his boredom, he decides to build a guitar out of stuff he finds in the store.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Y'all are making this way too complicated. I *thought* the goal was to make a guitar mostly out of home depot stuff and stay under a hundred bucks. If someone wants to snag a cheap bridge, who cares? There is no prize, the goal is to have fun. If someone wants to spend $1500, fine. TBH, I know I'll be buying tuners and a bridge. I don't feel like making them. If people dock me points, fine, I just want to have fun.

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
Exactly. Just build the best guitar you can out of the cheapest stuff possible.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Also, I attend a college so I'll start mine over the summer. I can't do anything after August.

EDIT: So, I propose we make a deadline not a start date. Like, January 1st of 2014. That way, people have a lot of time and no stress for the people that can't do it over the summer.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
This will be my first build for a guitar as well. Going to try to make as much as I can myself without buying. Dunno about pups :lol:

')