SSO Home Depot Contest feeler

• Thread starter Customisbetter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwDeOh

Reaction score
This would be awesome. Only thing is that a lot of us aren't in the US, so we don't have Home Depot and such. Bunnings is one of the main chains in Australia, New Zealand has Mitre 10.. if that helps.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not about using stuff you already have or WHERE you get it, just, don't use specialized/exotic materials. If you live two blocks from Gilmer woods and he happens to give you a pile on pine 2x4s :)lol:), then it'd be admissible.

The idea is, use materials that would be considered easily available to a non-luthier/cabinet/furniture maker. Like I said, it's not about specifics... you can usually feel out pretty good if you're using something that's a "no-no".

This would be awesome. Only thing is that a lot of us aren't in the US, so we don't have Home Depot and such. Bunnings is one of the main chains in Australia, New Zealand has Mitre 10.. if that helps.

Nothing wrong with that. A normal hardware/home improvement store works.

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
Got it. I can work with that. Hopefully by the time this starts, I'll be done with my current guitar and have some money to work with.

rekab

Reaction score
How about we answer these for starters:
1. Budget and how to prove it (I suggest we photo receipts and not allow the "I had this on hand" unless its the 'real' guitar parts such as pickups so we can prove origin of wood/parts)
2. Acceptable shopping locations. (if freebies are available lets place a material limitation)
3. Hardware/frets. Can we use real guitar bridge/nut/pickup/etc or no? Is this part of budget?

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Things like Guitar bridges and frets CAN be made by hand but I wont hate you if you buy them. My build had real frets but I made my bridge out of scrap metal. Its all a gray area. :lol:

However I would like to keep the $100 budget as strict as we can. You can buy a sweet schaller bridge but how much does that leave you for everything else?

rekab

Reaction score
So $100 is all inclusive? Every single part needed from hardware to pickups to wood?
Seems like frets, tuners, and a pickup would take care of the $100 if you don't get super crafty

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most of the guideline can afford to be pretty loose, I think.

The $100 thing, for example, it'd be pretty obvious if somebody tracked down a burl walnut dining room table to use as a top. If you're using "home improvement store woods" that usually going for ~$3 and ~$10 a board, it should be a pretty easy to stay in the parameters.

I think things like fitting within the guidelines and being well documented help your chances of being voted for anyway; which makes culling participants based on those same factors unnecessary. To be disqualified, it'd probably be pretty blatant what you did. :2c:

I'm on the fence about frets/pickups. Last time around, I don't think those things were make or break anyway...? My two-cents, I'd say things like that which are usually "necessary" on a finished guitar should be okay (especially since you're incurring the expense of building it, and should therefore get some use out of it after this contest is over) but people who chose to stick strictly to what's available at the hardware store have the opportunity to get creative, which probably helps their chances in a vote. I'd be a lot less impressed by a pseudo-professional looking fretboard than I'd be with a brad nail frets, etc.

EDIT: Regarding electronics, I'd say the same as above although *personally*, I'd think getting your electronics from Radio shack or something similar vs. Allparts/Stewmac would probably fit more within the parameters and help your case.

rekab

Reaction score
I'd say most likely I'm in. I've never built a guitar from scratch so mine will suck but I'm down to get creative.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
There should be prize categories like, most primitive, least money spent, etc.

I'm going for that last one. :)

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All good ideas. We'll use this thread to flesh things out and once we've got a basic idea of interest and guidelines, we should probably make an official rule list and take a semi-official headcount.

I think categories might be a pretty cool idea.

Reaction score
Categories would definitely be super sweet. Not so people have to build to fit a certain category, but so there is some distinction between builds. Personally, I'd like to be able to get actual fret wire and pickups simply because I would probably mod the thing after the contest is over and make it a refined polished axe. Just me anyways.

As for the wood, lets just say it all has to come from a big box lumber yard/hardware store? So that way no matter the country, we are all on the same page lol

OH! And to make it all official, have everyone that wants to participate put their names down and after a certain date the competition is closed to new people? Then after it all see if enough interest was generated to make it a regular type thing?

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
All the wood for my guitar i'm building right now came from a Menards store, beside the 2 purpleheart strips with came from a local Woodcraft store. I may be interested in doing the challenge but I would like to have a set of rules set in stone before I say i'm all in.

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
I'd like to have a specific list of allowable materials and/or allowable locations to buy materials.

I bought my maple and purpleheart at a large local lumberyard for $52 and change for my current bass build. The wood looked sick after planing off the rough.
20121108b.jpg

Is this acceptable? Because from what I've read so far it conforms to less than $100 and it was purchased at a large local lumberyard.

I have no problems building with $4 maple and mahogany boards from Home Depot if that will keep the competition even, but this rule needs to be more specific since we all have access to different materials and costs.

I also agree that, depending on number of entrants, categories could be set. Or set specs to fall within in general or per category. I can't imagine a nicely built strat-clone beating out a headless 23-27 scale fretless 8 string mutant head-to-head.

I'll gladly make the above abomination for $100 if it's an open competition!

Gregori

Reaction score
I think using exotic, or even semi-exotic woods(like purple heart), aren't in the spirit of the contest.

There should be a list of acceptable woods to use.

rekab

Reaction score
I would not count a lumber yard as big box store really. I've never seen anything exotic or all that nice at a Home Depot or Lowes but that doesn't mean one couldn't find a nice veneer at HD to slap over some 2x4s and compete with someone who's local store has better selection. I don't know.. OP what are your thoughts? You seem to be the authority on how this goes down compared to the rest of us lol

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
I think Gregori hit the nail right on the head when he said "the spirit of the contest".

Some things like fretwire is actually cheap enough and I just scored a pup off ebay for 99 cents.

CIB made the bridge on his Airline out of scrap metal and bolts.

I I think the point of this contest is to show how much can be made with very little at hand.

Which is what I do annyways, sooo....

I'm totally in.

Latest posts

')