SSO Sometimes downloads random HTML files.

• Thread starter TedEH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Anyone else ever get this? Sometimes when I open up any random page on the site, it downloads an empty html file with a junk name.
1665602546351.png
It's rare, but often enough to be a pattern.

Edika

Reaction score
I haven't noticed this as I usually check the site on my phone. But I use Firefox on my laptop and desktop and haven't noticed that either. Nothing malicious on the empty HTML files I hope?

jaxadam

Reaction score
This is bad. A wKJBEmEX file (worm kilimanjaro jpeg bitmap exploit malware executable) is a known backdoor and most likely installed with someone running a Sub7 (SubSeven, netbus spelled backwards with the "ten" replaced with "seven") routine remotely.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I can't tell if that's meant to be a joke or not. If so, good one. If not... no, it's just a random string that changes every time it happens.

Reaction score
Where to in the computer is this file saved?
What browser are you using?

I'm using the Brave browser and so far I'm ok...?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Both of those questions are sort of answered in the screenshot -> it's firefox, and the file goes through the standard "you're downloading a file" path, so lands in whatever place you have configured as your Downloads folder.

Also, I know it's not unique to the PC I'm using, I've seen it happen on three different PCs. Common elements are: it's always Windows (10 or 11), it's always the latest Firefox x64 build, I'm always signed into this account. Other details are varied - like which plugins are in the browser, whether or not I'm signed into the firefox account, etc.

It reads to me like a Firefox vs. SSO problem.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Both of those questions are sort of answered in the screenshot -> it's firefox, and the file goes through the standard "you're downloading a file" path, so lands in whatever place you have configured as your Downloads folder.

Also, I know it's not unique to the PC I'm using, I've seen it happen on three different PCs. Common elements are: it's always Windows (10 or 11), it's always the latest Firefox x64 build, I'm always signed into this account. Other details are varied - like which plugins are in the browser, whether or not I'm signed into the firefox account, etc.

It reads to me like a Firefox vs. SSO problem.
Because it is a Firefox problem.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh I guess it's a firefox thing. False alarm. I only ever see it on this site though, which is odd.
Might be because you spend more time on the site, not sure. I get it from another forum I visit. It uses myBB instead of xenforo so I doubt it's a forum related issue.