Stage Names

• Thread starter PyramidSmasher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
How do you feel about them? Im in a band that plays at local bars and the sort, and I was thinking about using a stage name on official stuff for ambiguity, and so I can almost be two different people between my daily life and when playing.

Any haters? I know everyone here likes at least one. What are you guys favs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
How do you feel about them? Im in a band that plays at local bars and the sort, and I was thinking about using a stage name on official stuff for ambiguity, and so I can almost be two different people between my daily life and when playing.

Any haters? I know everyone here likes at least one. What are you guys favs?

only works in black metal or when theres something that a certain person in a band just does alot or is known for like Lord Worm (Ex Cryptopsy) was known for eating worms or something of the sort.

other than that its kinda stupid, I even admit that George Fisher calling himself "Corpsegrinder" is pretty kiddy like.

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
on all my recording ive labeled myself as Narthelic. but then again the music i make is thrashy black metal.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
I don't think your name should be a big deal.
Fuck, even something simple like oh Alex Lifeson
can be great.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
I plan on using my mother's maiden name, instead of my true last name; because there's a football player named Brandon Jacobs and the lead guitarist of Mutiny Within is also named Brandon Jacobs, so I don't want to start any confusion. :lol: Though, the football player is black, so that wouldn't be too confusing, but still.

It's not really a stage name like you're talking about, but close to one. :rolleyes:

lookralphsbak

Reaction score
My thrash metal project uses stage names. I originally didn't think too much about it but after I started promoting the band, the concept of the band, and telling people about my song Hipster Holocaust among other songs that deal with hating, killing, and poking fun at hipsters I decided I needed stage names to help protect my identity. Now a days I don't really give a fuck, although since facebook allows you to browse the site using your page I can get fans without using my main account.

Oh and here are the stage names:
Lorimer St. Ficksgere- Vokiller of Hipsters
William S. Burg- Rhythm Guitar
??????????????- Lead Guitar
Dr. Roebling PhD- Drums
Sir Franklin McGuiness- Bass

Obviously the stage names are all related to hipsters/Williamsburg.

S.A.D. (Salvation Army Destroyers) | Facebook

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
IMO, stage-names and just pseudonyms are okay, as long as they are not totally excessive and out of place.

Like, calling yourself "Lord maximus the sixth omniversal cabbage destroyer" and playing in a jazzband... Just no.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
IMO, stage-names and just pseudonyms are okay, as long as they are not totally excessive and out of place.

Like, calling yourself "Lord maximus the sixth omniversal cabbage destroyer" and playing in a jazzband... Just no.

That sounds like something Devin Townsend would use. :lol:

snowblind56

Reaction score
What if you are a drummer in a hair metal cover band and you call yourself Jimmi Stixx?

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
My stage name is Sofos for this reason:
I've used the name Soldiers of Filth online for years, for damn near everything. Over time it got shorted to SOF, and while studying latin, I learned about the term Sophos, which means wise. I just replaced the ph with f and got Sofos. My vocalist/bassist goes by Gestas.'

I'm thinking about going by CG tho (Cole Garrett). I hate my first name, and on everything i can, go by C. Garrett. My dad brought up the idea of CG a couple days ago. What think?

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
I think its stupid. But then again I think all corpse paint looks fucking stupid so I guess my opinion isnt tr00 kvlt

Skyblue

Reaction score
Never liked it, but I won't really care for something like that.
I guess it works for black metal and the likes (I was never a black metal guy, so... )

When I think about it, I just think- I'm hoping that one day I'll be big enough so people will actually talk about me and my band. do I want them to know me by me, or by some different stage identity?
I'd prefer them to know me as me, but it's up to you, really.

0.02$.

Reaction score
Honestly it depends. For my band I didn't want to use my birth name for multiple reasons.

1) It doesn't really work in a black/death metal aesthetic
2) I don't care for my name (long history)
3) I wanted something that embodied personal philosophy
4) It separates things. People who don't know me don't use my real name because they don't know it. I like to keep it that way. People often ask me my real name, however I very rarely, if ever, tell them. My birth name isn't important because people don't know me by what I've done via that name. If you know me musically than the name I've given myself is of more importance. I've never been one for people wanting to know things about me just to know them. If it has nothing to do with my music then you don't really need to know.
5) As a chosen name, it has far more meaning and it was a sort of rebirth.

I can't stress this enough..whatever you name yourself, take into consideration that you may be called that name for the rest of your life. If you think it sounds dumb, then you surely wouldn't want to stick with that name. It should be something that has some meaning to you so you don't get tired of it or embarrassed that you used to be (should you change) called that.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a stage name for a little while, but it was in a glam metal band, so that was just to "get into character".

')