Stage Presence for Guitarists

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan of stage presence...I go to hear music, not see a stageshow. For the few shows I would got to see a show (Roger Water's performing the Wall for instance) I'd be there for the overall presentation and still not care what the musicians were doing.

I have a request though... please for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT CRABWALK! Nothing makes me want to projectile vomit at a performer more than seeing stupid, unison teabagging on stage.

/rant mode off

No for someone that can perhaps answer the OP's question

:welcome: to OP btw

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Try jumping around, different stances/movements and leg on monitor always works too :)
Or you can go Dillinger Escape Plan all the time lol

I do somethings that I don't recommend other people do :)

amarshism

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't pace back and forth with an angry look on your face. This never looks cool. Never.

Murmel

Reaction score
I find it harder to have a high stage presence as a guitarist, it's much easier as a bassist IMO.
I just find it much easier in general to fuck up on guitar :shrug:

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
It's really not my thing, but if you want some stage moves just watch old(late 70's) AC/DC. Angus was quite the athlete back then.

sell2792

Reaction score
I try to move around but I always find myself focusing on my playing first, and its hard to fuck around when Im worried about trying to not screw up.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Make crazy looking faces at the rights moments in the songs (for metal at least).

Personally, I like to do all the above, point at people, and walk around the stage.

Look at the crowd not at your guitar and have fun.
Smile be happy, be funny when needed.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stage prescence is, to me, a lot about embracing the things that are unique to you, and exaggerating them. Be yourself but 300x moreso. It's not about trying to be good at being onstage, it's about letting out the energy that got you excited about playing guitar in the first place.

However, there are a few things that I think are important: first of all, eye-contact with the audience. You can divide the audience into 3 or more "zones", and look at them interchangeably making several people in the crowd think you're having eye contact with them at the same time. That's efficient! It gets the people involved, as opposed to just seeing you stare at the fretboard and totally excluding them from the stage.

Another good rule of thumb is that about 40% of what you do onstage will communicate to the audience. So you have to exaggerate every move and any speech to get a normal effect. This is why people in theatre or opera tend to be really flamboyant and making large gestures, talking slowly and with authority etc. It's because it greatly benefits their communication with the audience, and musicians could learn a lot from them. Even stage makeup is incredibly efficient to highlight your facial expressions, I use it every show these days. It does nothing to make you look prettier, but it helps the audience to feel connected to you.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
For death metal, look like you're pissed off but grin every once in a while :lol: Pretend you're casting a curse upon the audience :rofl: I'm not being funny, I'm death metal guitar player.

ive been on the forum longer than yo uguyd!

:hbang:

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Go watch Iron Maiden live vids, pay attention to Janick. He's a great player and is showy as fuck.

Or go the DEP route.

Bradd

Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan of stage presence...I go to hear music, not see a stageshow. For the few shows I would got to see a show (Roger Water's performing the Wall for instance) I'd be there for the overall presentation and still not care what the musicians were doing.

I have a request though... please for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT CRABWALK! Nothing makes me want to projeKt tile vomit at a performer more than seeing stupid, unison teabagging on stage.

/rant mode off

No for someone that can perhaps answer the OP's question

:welcome: to OP btw

I like that projectile part u said :hbang:

oh and a side note, just have fun on stage! look at the singer/ bassist/drummer and smile and move around and look at the crowd, just make sure u look like your having fun! even if your not lol.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I haven't done many gigs, but I was told to work on my stage presence, and we played our HSC Concert the other week and I was told I totally shredded and held up a good presence during my songs :D

Basically instead of just playing my piece and staring into the crowd looking around, I just walked around on stage, went to the front for solos and more so didn't stay so tense, I wasn't afraid to lift the guitar up or bow over to access the fretboard easier for harder stretches and of course the orgasm faces along with bends, which for me were a bit forced but some came (scuse the pun) natural.

Just loosen the fuck up and don't be afraid to move, basically.

Overtone

Reaction score
It's all about having a fan setup so that your hair blows in the breeze during crucial moments.

')