Stage Presence for Guitarists

Counterspell

Wesley Belmont
Reaction score
Well First off I have to say one of my fav positions live is with a foot up on the drummers bass drum. It is fun, but what it also supports contributes to the overall band presence.

Musically - not just yourself, but the band as a whole should be able to convey the vibe to the audience. Make them experience that interaction as a unit from the band as a physical force. If you show you can hype up your band mates to your cause, It will surly inspire shared feelings from those on the other end of the music!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
Stage prescence is, to me, a lot about embracing the things that are unique to you, and exaggerating them. Be yourself but 300x moreso. -snip-

However, there are a few things that I think are important: first of all, eye-contact with the audience.

Well, that's great(!) I am terrible at eye contact in normal conversations, and normally stay quite still. To follow your advice of being myself 300x over would be to hide behind the drummer for most of the set. :lol::lol::lol: Don't do that.

I have heard that people have a normal personality and a musical personality, and I'm not nearly as shy and reserved in musical contexts. So I'd say I agree with JohnIce's advice, but apply that to your muscial personality, not your social one.

Do some silly synchronized moves during harmonized guitar parts or wherever you feel the need.

:agreed: Little cheesy moves are the best. But that's probably only going to work in a power metal band where a certain amount of cheese is expected. A great example is in the bend they do in the guitar break in this clip at about 3:35.

Or for that matter dress up as a lady. :hbang::hbang::hbang:

riffist

Reaction score
Not much performance experience here but I've noticed something as a music fan. Iconic musicians look like they could easily be turned into cartoon characters.

Examples:

Angus Young
Slash/Axl/Izzy
Dimebag/Phil
Bob Marley
Keith Richards/Mick Jagger
Amy Winehouse
KISS
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix

And on and on. Any of these would be easy to identify done in Simpsons or SouthPark style. Some could be identified in silhouette. Make of this what you will, but I think there's something to it as far as stage presence goes.

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
whilst doing all this you have to make sure that you're portraying that your having a good time and that you actually want to be there, and like John Ice said you have to exaggerate that fact to make the audience pay attention. Even if its not going DEP mental just having good body language and communication with your bandmates and the audience should work wonders.

Murmel

Reaction score
I have heard that people have a normal personality and a musical personality, and I'm not nearly as shy and reserved in musical contexts. So I'd say I agree with JohnIce's advice, but apply that to your muscial personality, not your social one.
Totally agree with this, my musical persona and my real personality are almost opposites of eachother...

Overtone

Reaction score
This video is a godsend

Lessons 14 (part II 2:50) and 20 (part I, 2:45) are especially useful for your particular concerns.

Off_The_Heezay

Reaction score
I have to echo some of the sentiments here - Go out and have fun! And make sure you look like you are. I personally think its awful when bands take themselves way too seriously and just stand there headbanging like they're 'too metal' to move around and have a good time.

One of the coolest things about being on stage is that it gives you the ability to do countless stupid things that you could never do in normal life without being ridiculed. Abuse this!

I think this video is a pretty good example of just relaxing and having a good time on stage while putting on a show. Or watch any DEP video on youtube - more serious, but really intense.

I'm a huge believer that when I go to a show, I want to see just that. A show. If I wanted to hear the songs played perfectly by some guys standing still, I would watch it on youtube or listen to the CD. Live shows are all about energy and excitement. That would be my number one rule. Of course, all of this is personal opinion.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score

Just do that...

But seriously:
I'm a huge believer that when I go to a show, I want to see just that. A show. If I wanted to hear the songs played perfectly by some guys standing still, I would watch it on youtube or listen to the CD. Live shows are all about energy and excitement. That would be my number one rule. Of course, all of this is personal opinion.

^ That. I'm in total agreeance of that. I try and make it a point to be exciting on stage, and go as nuts as I can. I find it helps to practice that at... who can guess? Yes. PRACTICE!
The other guys in my band say I'm crazy because I run around and go crazy at band practice, but come show time, I can do all the ridiculous stage moves and pull off all my parts perfectly.

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to be the cliche' poster, but Vai's gotta be one of the all-time best guitar performers out there... so entertaining to watch. He genuinely means every note he plays and that should be your man focus- SINCERITY! If it's not your thing or if you feel too awkward to bring yourself to actually do some of these things, focus on a perfectly executed set, i.e. John Petrucci. He's relatively boring compared to the likes of Vai, however he's usually always on!

Ricky_Gallows

lyketotallybrashdude
Reaction score
I like things in unison, personally. however best stage shows I've ever seen have been from Foxy shazam, converge, the chariot and (of coarse, as stated above) the Dillinger escape plan.

Just play clean, have fun and keep the crowed connected.

jr1092

Avalanche in D Minor
Reaction score
Just saw Dillinger Escape Plan tonight and their stage presence is unlike any other. I'm also nearly blind since I was second row with the lights blasting in my face.

Reaction score
Try relax and enjoy playing your well crafted tunes!

Also, if a mistakes happen dont make it obvious!!! audience wants to see you on that stage confident as fuck, dont start looking about to see who done what wrong etc, biggest pet peeve!

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Interacting with the audience or at least acknowledging that they're there is usually good. If you're hyperactive then taking tips from the lads in Killswitch Engage isn't the worst thing you could do regarding stage presence.

Kryss

Your new god!
Reaction score
i typically do stuff like interact with people while playing or at least when i used to have a band and play live. treat it more like a jam session with friends in a garage almost. don't be afraid to show off and just have fun. i would sometimes stare down people while doing solos too. great guitarists imo have a knack for making it look just effortless. so i always try to make what i'm doing seem like i'm not even trying while still being in a zone and having fun. if any of that makes sense.

')