Stage Presence for Guitarists

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
Assume said stances and fucking go off
01DevinTownsendProject_Vilen.jpg

ts

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ill-Gotten James

Reaction score
I like to move to music, so if I am feeling inclined to move around while playing, I will. I really do not try to act any certain way on stage and I certainly refuse to do any synchronized movements with other members. I think the most imporant part of stage presence is eye contact with the audience. I hate watching guitarists who look at their neck for more than 50% of a song, or who only seem to be making eye contact with other members of the band. I like watch the audience to see also who is really digging our music, so that way when the set is over, I can go up and thank them for coming out to the show.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Quit headbanging if you don't have hair, seriously. It looks ridiculous. Or grow Kerry Kings beard :lol:

K-Roll

Reaction score
one of the best stage performances I've ever seen in my whole live was the one by band Pain of Salvation and more specifically- their guitarist/ lead singer Daniel Gildenlow. That guy is a monster and a huuuge personality..
Their music is so complex, yet he sings simultaneously and still cares about what his body does, different gestures, faces, movements, stances but not overkilling it..I personally do not like all those crabcore movements, headbanging or torsobanging :) stuff and so on but I think that a simple walk to the other side of the stage and interacting with people means quite a lot..
Sometimes one simple look into the audience and smile can be worth a dozen of headbangs... Some of the best vibes a band can create is to have a couple of well counted/timed stop times during their songs where an artist has some time to show some gesture, or to just simply lift the instrument into height, or yell something at the audience or freeze in a previously done movement..
Sometimes lightshow helps even more. Over the years I somehow realized that bands with good lightshows tend to sound somehow 'better'.. but in fact it's not that they sound better, but the visual part of the show distracts the audience from really paying attention to the small mistakes which may occur :)

Kryss

Your new god!
Reaction score
one of the best stage performances I've ever seen in my whole live was the one by band Pain of Salvation and more specifically- their guitarist/ lead singer Daniel Gildenlow. That guy is a monster and a huuuge personality..
Their music is so complex, yet he sings simultaneously and still cares about what his body does, different gestures, faces, movements, stances but not overkilling it..I personally do not like all those crabcore movements, headbanging or torsobanging :) stuff and so on but I think that a simple walk to the other side of the stage and interacting with people means quite a lot..
Sometimes one simple look into the audience and smile can be worth a dozen of headbangs... Some of the best vibes a band can create is to have a couple of well counted/timed stop times during their songs where an artist has some time to show some gesture, or to just simply lift the instrument into height, or yell something at the audience or freeze in a previously done movement..
Sometimes lightshow helps even more. Over the years I somehow realized that bands with good lightshows tend to sound somehow 'better'.. but in fact it's not that they sound better, but the visual part of the show distracts the audience from really paying attention to the small mistakes which may occur :)

ya NIN always had cool light shows. adds a lot to the overall show without a doubt.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score

Just saw them live for the second time 2 nights ago, and I agree with you. Daniel is fucking amazing.

Do not overlook co-guitarist Johan Hallgren though, who rocks just as much! When I first saw them live, they played Deus Nova, a song in which Daniel doesn't play, and man, what a performance! Johan ran from one side of the stage to the other, headbanging like nobody's business, but ever displaying sincere congeniality. Amazing band... too bad their guitar tone sucks live almost as much as in studio.

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
I was @ the DEP show in Israel a couple of months ago - i believe it was a very important show for them as they've a bit of a Jerusalem syndrome :)

Their stage presence is nothing short of spectacular. Most powerful performance i've ever seen. Plus, we got 'When Good Dogs Do Bad Things' :)

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Quit headbanging if you don't have hair, seriously. It looks ridiculous. Or grow Kerry Kings beard :lol:

It's worked for Scott Ian of Anthrax for years. It's all in HOW you headbang when bald :hbang: .....of course, like Mr Ian....it's more of a head-bob instead of full-on headbang :p

(lets not forget moshing started with bald punks/skins in the 70s)

danieluber1337

☻☺☻☼☺☻☺
Reaction score

It's more about the upswing and chin.

For bald: (3:06)

One thing that annoys me is the head seizure thing that people with short hair/no hair think is cool. STOP THROWING YOUR HEAD AROUND LIKE A T-REX. MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT...

Latest posts

')