Stainless Steel JAZZ III shape Picks

• Thread starter Rooster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster

Reaction score
These are the picks I've been making for my own use, for years. They take so much time and energy to make, and I just love 'em, so I thought I'd see if anyone else might be interested.

Lemme know what ya think. Below, I put the whole description (from the original Ebay auction).

I'm only charging $9.95 each and 1.50 shipping for the total order. I couldn't charge what they really cost to make (due to the hours involved) but this amount allows me to keep making them.

SS picks 001 resize.jpg

You're looking at a handmade, stainless steel guitar pick, unlike any other you've seen before. I've combined the speed and attack of a stainless steel pick with the shape of a shred-lover's preferred weapon, “Dunlop Jazz III (registered trademark) “, and a drop-proof grip. These picks are hand crafted from .51mm stainless steel and are totally rigid while keeping a thin string-attacking surface. This allows for tighter picking technique, needing less travel to clear the string. The sharp point means more accurate pick strikes, and the 3 holes are positioned to give a sweat-proof grip and allowing you to keep the pick in exactly the position you need. They measure: 1" x 7/8".

The 2 main edges of the picks are polished to be as slick as glass and gentle on the strings. Every pick has its own unique features as they are not made by machines and computers. Vice-grips, grinders, wire wheels, sharpening stones, buffers and power drills all leave their own marks. This can add a bit of texture to improve the grip even more. These picks may not be pretty, but they do perform, flawlessly. That's all that matters.

I've been using these picks for more than 5 years, exclusively. I recorded my entire album (A Prelude To Tragedy's “Shadows of the Past”) as well as 25 instrumental songs and a 6 song country project, with these picks. They give me everything I need from a pick, and they never seem to wear out. I have made 140 of them, so I decided to spread the love around a bit. Those I'm selling are from the newest batch are are a bit more presentable than my first run.

To hear them in action, check out www.myspace.com/stevetheroostersorrell , www.myspace.com/srsgoinsouth and www.myspace.com/apreludetoreagedy777 . Every note of every song was played with a “Rooster Pick”.

SS

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very nice. I tried stainless steel picks once and found that they had a very crisp, biting sound, but they ate through strings like mad. Have you rounded over and/or polished the edges of them?

Rooster

Reaction score
Very nice. I tried stainless steel picks once and found that they had a very crisp, biting sound, but they ate through strings like mad. Have you rounded over and/or polished the edges of them?
Yes. The contact edges are like glass. The top (rounded) edge isn't quite as smooth, but almost. I spent the most time on the 2 main edges. They're very gentle on the strings.

SS

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
Yes. The contact edges are like glass. The top (rounded) edge isn't quite as smooth, but almost. I spent the most time on the 2 main edges. They're very gentle on the strings.

SS

Ill order a set from you on this site to save you the ebay fees, send me a PM.

Rooster

Reaction score
How long will one of these last? would it last longer than $10 worth of jazzIII's?

Good question. I used 1 pick for the entire recording of my 78 minute album (A Prelude To Tragedy's "Shadows of the Past"). That was well over 200 hours of playing. When I was done, the pick looked like new. I have yet to wear one out. I haven't even needed to re polish any. I use stainless steel strings too.

In short; they're really durable.

A friend of mine laughs at me because I now have 140 of them. OCD much? I just love working on them. It's great stress relief.

SS

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
How much would you charge for mailing a couple to Canada?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I ordered two, and they arrived today. I immediately took one for a quick play against my Clayton Spikes.

I played them unplugged, mainly to get acquainted with the feel of them and their direct effect on the strings.

HUGE kudos to Steve for the work he does on the edges of these things. They're polished to a superb shine, and they glide effortlessly off the strings. With any plastic-based pick, you'll always hear a bit of "slap", "snap" or "plink" as you pick, but that's very noticeably absent with these stainless picks. They're silent and stealthy. I don't like thick picks, but i like stiff picks. I used to use Stubbies, but found that they had that "plink" to them that was audible when playing hard, even through the amp. These are super-thin, AND super-stiff, with surprisingly no pick noise that i could hear. I'll have to try them out amplified to be sure, but so far, i quite like them.

The "speed holes" are in a great place for the edge of your finger and thumb to make contact and keep the pick steady. If i really dig in, sometimes the lower middle hole scraped on the strings... i wouldn't mind seeing these moved up a bit, away from the top and more toward the middle of the pick.

Overall, the quality, feel and workmanship is fantastic. I'm quite pleased with these. I'm not sure i'll use them all the time, as i'm sure the hard stainless alloy will eat through the softer nickel alloy of my strings in short order, but they'll be great to have around for live or studio use.

Rooster

Reaction score
I ordered two, and they arrived today. I immediately took one for a quick play against my Clayton Spikes.

I played them unplugged, mainly to get acquainted with the feel of them and their direct effect on the strings.

HUGE kudos to Steve for the work he does on the edges of these things. They're polished to a superb shine, and they glide effortlessly off the strings. With any plastic-based pick, you'll always hear a bit of "slap", "snap" or "plink" as you pick, but that's very noticeably absent with these stainless picks. They're silent and stealthy. I don't like thick picks, but i like stiff picks. I used to use Stubbies, but found that they had that "plink" to them that was audible when playing hard, even through the amp. These are super-thin, AND super-stiff, with surprisingly no pick noise that i could hear. I'll have to try them out amplified to be sure, but so far, i quite like them.

The "speed holes" are in a great place for the edge of your finger and thumb to make contact and keep the pick steady. If i really dig in, sometimes the lower middle hole scraped on the strings... i wouldn't mind seeing these moved up a bit, away from the top and more toward the middle of the pick.

Overall, the quality, feel and workmanship is fantastic. I'm quite pleased with these. I'm not sure i'll use them all the time, as i'm sure the hard stainless alloy will eat through the softer nickel alloy of my strings in short order, but they'll be great to have around for live or studio use.

Wow! Thank you very much. That's a great review. :hbang:

I'm really glad you like 'em. Next time I make a batch (when I wear out this 140 :lol:) I'll make 'em with only the 2 horizontal holes. I made them for my playing style, so I really do appreciate other players' feedback.

Thanks again!

SS

')