Stainless Steel JAZZ III shape Picks

• Thread starter Rooster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster

Reaction score
Pretty sure it won't ever wear out on you. It tears strings up pretty fast (I pick pretty hard sometimes), but the edges are still same as they were the day I got it. I don't mind changing strings out once a month (or sooner depending on how often I play)...this thing makes it worth doing. :yesway:

Excellent! I've been using stainless steel strings since the 80s, so I don't notice the wear at all.

I'd suggest trying Ernie Ball Custom Stainless strings. I use the .009 thru .046, with an added .056 on the low B. They last until I just want to change 'em.

SS

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

6o66er

Awful Jack-ass
Reaction score
Excellent! I've been using stainless steel strings since the 80s, so I don't notice the wear at all.

I'd suggest trying Ernie Ball Custom Stainless strings. I use the .009 thru .046, with an added .056 on the low B. They last until I just want to change 'em.

SS

I actually just found out about these on Saturday when I dropped my new 7 off for a setup. The tech told me about them, I'll be running 10-54's. :agreed:

I'm really interested in trying them out - good to hear they last alot longer!

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I just thought I'd bump this thread to say that these are pretty neat and to mention for those who may be interested that he's doing a limited number of these in standard pick size soon.

Rooster

Reaction score
I just thought I'd bump this thread to say that these are pretty neat and to mention for those who may be interested that he's doing a limited number of these in standard pick size soon.

Cool! I ordered the steel last night. Will be here in a couple of days. Picks will be ready to ship by next Monday (at the latest).

They will be standard plectrum size with the sharp point of my other picks. The holes will be more centered on the body of the pick, as opposed to close to the tip. This should work for a wider range of players. The others are made for my picking style (for better or worse :scratch:) and don't work for everybody.

Thanks to TomAwesome for inspiring me to do this special run. :hbang:

SS

Rooster

Reaction score
They're done! :hbang:

They turned out better than I'd anticipated. There are only 34 of them.

I'll make a separate post for this specific shape, in this same forum.

Contact me for info.

SS

Snytbaggen

Reaction score
Do you still have some regular Jazz III sized picks left? And if I just want to order one, is it just to pay to you paypal and give you my address?

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Shit, didn't even see your response to me until today :lol:

Payment sent.

MattKMatt

Reaction score
Just recieved the picks I ordered, they play great, highly recommended!
No problems concerning shipping or payment, thanks a lot!

Aghasura

Reaction score
I placed an order and they shipped right away. Eager to try them. Given that I play a pretty bright set up to hear articulation of Palm muted notes (playing death metal), the steel may or not work for me but I'm so pumped to give them a try. Thanks, steve!

Aghasura

Reaction score
Ok, wanted to post a quick review on these puppies. First, let me just say that Steve is a good dude to deal with; he was quite prompt in both communication and delivery. He also included a second, larger pick for me to try out. Interestingly, I've never been a big fan of the small jazz style picks, instead preferring the jazz XL envelope, but with Steve's picks, I actually find myself preferring the smaller version. It never feels that it will slip out of my hand, and I actually prefer the slight tonal difference relative to the larger pick. Steve was right when he said that the pick thickness makes you more economical. I barely had to move my hand to perform runs, and the picks glide effortlessly over the strings. The polished edges are nicely done, and it doesn't feel as if they are too "hard" on the strings or anything like that. The only downside - for me - is that i'm not sure i like the sound as much on wound strings. Given the thinness of the picks, it's a little "scrapey" sounding for rhythms, and i prefer a more focused attack. That said, I love using them for lead stuff, and I'm going to see how they sound on wound strings using different pickups. Fantastic pick, great price, and I only hope he starts offering them for sale more broadly. Even though these picks will never wear out, I certainly wouldn't mind buying more of them, especially if he plays around with additional shapes and materials (e.g. copper).

Rooster

Reaction score
Right on Aghasura!

Very nice review. I'm always glad when someone else likes my picks. I've tried (in the interest of progress) to switch picks a number of times. Didn't happen. I keep going back to mine.

As for the scratchiness when used on the low strings; That took some adjustment. I rarely notice it anymore. I use 'em on my 8 string, 7 string and 6 string shredders as well as, on all 5 of my custom Teles and all the others. I just love the attack of these picks. (The only guitars I don't use them on are my acoustics. I just prefer the sound of Ultex on those.)

I'm making another 100 picks in a couple of weeks, so there will be plenty to go around.

Thanks again.

Aghasura

Reaction score
What did you do technicall to remove some of the scratchinscratchiness? I'd be happy to make a minor adjustment to my technique if it means I can use these all the time. They're really great.

Rooster

Reaction score
Honestly, I can't say. The only time it's been an issue is when I used the "Big Bottom" model on my Vetta amp. It makes the perfect Meshuggah tone, but the attack was too scratchy. However, I was working on what I call the Time-sig-DaVinci-Code (Meshuggah's "Bleed") again recently and the scratch sound wasn't an issue. Might have been EQ...

I would suggest tweeking the EQ on your amp. High mids and or treble being rolled off a bit, will certainly help. Simply remove the offensive freq from the equation. My tone has warmed up a bit lately and I love the picks even more than before.

I use stainless steel strings on all my electrics and the picks sound great. I have A/B'ed many different picks with mine and I just love the attack sound I get with my picks. Everything else sounds (to my ears) too soft.

Lemme know if this (my babbling) has helped at all.

Aghasura

Reaction score
It does! The attack is fantastic without being too tinny or anything. I'm a fan.

')