Stambaugh Fanned Fret 8 string

ricez

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi!

I wanted to post to let everyone know of a great builder just over the Mass border in New Hampshire named Chris Stambaugh. He just built me a fanned fret 8 with a low B and High A. Total cost was about $2200. His work is excellent and the guitar plays great. Check out his site at www.stambaughdesigns.com

Also, here is a pic of my eight:

Attachments

• The Finished Stambaugh 8 String.jpg
    The Finished Stambaugh 8 String.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 682

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
That thing is beautiful! 2200 bucks? Holy shit, that's a good price, how about some specs?

Congrats man!

~A

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nice!

My buddy Eric is (if I recall correctly) having a guitar built by him as well. That looks fantastic man!

Edit: Unless that's you, Eric, in which case, welcome to ss.org! :D

ricez

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Chris- yup, it's me. Specs on the 8:

Fanned Fret- 26"-23 3/4

Walnut Top
Mahogony Body
ABM Individual Bridges
Lundgren Pickups
Sperzel Locking Tuners
Birdseye Maple Fretboard

If you want to see some more pics, check out:

http://www.ericclemenzi.com/media.php?catagory=Pictures

I placed the order right before thanksgiving of 2005 and received the guitar on March 30th. I should have some sounds clips of the guitar up soon.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Very nice! How are those Lundgren pups working out for ya?

ricez

Contributor
Reaction score
I love the Lundgrens- I can actually hear the sound of the guitar! I am very impressed with how clear they are. As far as the output goes, I was a bit concerned since I had heard many reviews saying they were too high gain. My main 7's are the RG 7620's with the Dimarzios, and I feel the gain is very similar, but with a much clearer tone. Definitely worth the money.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Awesome bro. Glad to hear you got it - I can't wait to hear you unloading on it. :D

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Wow. The world can never have enough 8-strings. Gorgeous!

gojira

Reaction score
hmmm - the pole piece positioning looks a little off on those pickups.......at least for the fanned fret application anyway.

ricez

Contributor
Reaction score
That was one issue that Chris Stambaugh found with the Lundgrens - I guess the pole piece spacing was a little wider than usual, so to try and make a better fit for the pickups, he slanted them.

gojira

Reaction score
ricez said:
That was one issue that Chris Stambaugh found with the Lundgrens - I guess the pole piece spacing was a little wider than usual, so to try and make a better fit for the pickups, he slanted them.

i dont know about that -

you need to slant pickups on a fanned fret guitar in order for it to sound any good at all - that is generally what causes the pole pieces to not be aligned on standard pickups.

fatclown

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what the practical use of fanned frets are? I've never seen fanned frets before.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
fatclown said:
I'm just wondering what the practical use of fanned frets are? I've never seen fanned frets before.
They allow for a more consistant string tension throughout the strings on instrument with large ranges, plus it looks cool :cool:

that guy

Reaction score
fatclown said:
each string gets its own scale length , like in a piano each strings a different and what not ,its all for tuning and people who dont have sasguach hands that wat teeny weeny frets...

')