Stambaugh guitars?

• Thread starter hanachanmaru
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hanachanmaru

Reaction score
Stambaugh Designs

Wonder if anyone have experienced on their custom design? i have heard Eric Clemenzi had his 8 string build by them... any comments or appraisals on their work? :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ricez

Contributor
Reaction score
I have had two custom 8's built by Chris, and a third on the way. Chris is a great guy, easy to work with, and highly skilled. He is the only one I go to for custom guitars. His prices are beyond reasonable for a custom guitar or bass too. If you have any specific questions, let me know, or simply drop him a line.

hanachanmaru

Reaction score
I have had two custom 8's built by Chris, and a third on the way. Chris is a great guy, easy to work with, and highly skilled. He is the only one I go to for custom guitars. His prices are beyond reasonable for a custom guitar or bass too. If you have any specific questions, let me know, or simply drop him a line.

awesome !! could you mind share us your custom build? ;) :yesway:

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
I've played one of his 7's and a bass (it was a while ago, I think it was a 5 or 6-string), and the quality is pretty good. Definitely better than any < $1k guitars I've played, and his prices are good. I've played (& owned) nicer guitars, but Stambaughs are not bad at all.

hanachanmaru

Reaction score
I've played one of his 7's and a bass (it was a while ago, I think it was a 5 or 6-string), and the quality is pretty good. Definitely better than any < $1k guitars I've played, and his prices are good. I've played (& owned) nicer guitars, but Stambaughs are not bad at all.

Thanks alot there but you mentioned is pretty good.. but could you eleborate more on the details on what could have been better? could it match up with the playability feel and tone of a prestige ibanez? or even a USA made jackson soloist?

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Thanks alot there but you mentioned is pretty good.. but could you elaborate more on the details on what could have been better? could it match up with the playability feel and tone of a prestige ibanez? or even a USA made jackson soloist?

Are you talking about a USA CS Jackson? Or just a USA-made?

I think that comparison sort of depends on which Prestige Ibanez you're talking about.

The Stambaugh 7 I played had a really nice feel to it, with good resonance and playability. It had a really slim, fast neck, which was cool. The only downsides I saw were in the little details - fretwork, wood seams, etc. Nothing structural, or even functionally negative, just things I noticed that could have been better. I've played other custom-made instruments with similar shortcomings, and a few that were absolutely flawless. The 2 Onis I've owned / played are good examples of absolutely flawless work. I think it's just a difference in the experience and knowledge of the luthier.

hanachanmaru

Reaction score
Are you talking about a USA CS Jackson? Or just a USA-made?

I think that comparison sort of depends on which Prestige Ibanez you're talking about.

The Stambaugh 7 I played had a really nice feel to it, with good resonance and playability. It had a really slim, fast neck, which was cool. The only downsides I saw were in the little details - fretwork, wood seams, etc. Nothing structural, or even functionally negative, just things I noticed that could have been better. I've played other custom-made instruments with similar shortcomings, and a few that were absolutely flawless. The 2 Onis I've owned / played are good examples of absolutely flawless work. I think it's just a difference in the experience and knowledge of the luthier.

Sorry but i have never played a oni before which that i would like to someday... but my guessing was Sherman>Oni>Stambaugh ?

while Stambaugh>USA Jackson>Ibanez ?

Sorry for my bad but i need to know more :wallbash:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry but i have never played a oni before which that i would like to someday... but my guessing was Sherman>Oni>Stambaugh ?

while Stambaugh>USA Jackson>Ibanez ?

Sorry for my bad but i need to know more :wallbash:

More like Oni>Stambaugh... given that Sherman's customers don't seem to be receiving guitars or communication anymore I wouldn't include him in the equation.

TMMs post would seem to indicate that the Stambaughs are roughly on par with "normal" production guitars in the $1000+ price range.

hanachanmaru

Reaction score
More like Oni>Stambaugh... given that Sherman's customers don't seem to be receiving guitars or communication anymore I wouldn't include him in the equation.

TMMs post would seem to indicate that the Stambaughs are roughly on par with "normal" production guitars in the $1000+ price range.

I'll like to see and feel how well a sherman would...

having said that the stambaugh would win over any 1k+ guitar and i'll probably rate it larger than a prestige ibanez... and i do like my ibanez HRG7 ;) and could never imagine how an Oni would played having it to be > Stambaugh ;)

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
... but my guessing was Sherman>Oni>...

Um, no. Though Shermans are nice from what I can tell.

Or Oni > &#8734;

That's more or less an accurate statement. The Stambaugh's quality was on par with a number of $1-$1.5k production guitars I've played, except you obviously get the options that come along with a custom guitar.

')