Standard C or B?

• Thread starter jori1995
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jori1995

Reaction score
I've just bought a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (which is really REALLY awesome) and I'm leaving it in standard E. Now I was planning on tuning my Ibanez (rg with 'floyd rose' bridge) to standard B or C. But I was wondering: which one is more useful and is more common? I'd like to play some Amon Amarth, Bloodbath, Devildriver and Vader, and I was wondering which tuning you guys would recomend.
Tnx

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
If memory serves correctly, 3 out of those 4 are in B standard at the moment (Bloodbath, Amon Amarth [also use Drop A], and Vader) with Devildriver being the only one close to being in C (they're drop B); so that'd probably answer your question.

I find B standard to be fantastic and allows you to sounds ridiculously heavy, but you can also do that in any tuning, it's all about how you phrase it. I've used C standard here and there but never really sat well with it, and the only band I can name off the top of my head who do it well is In Flames (now in Drop Bb).

Come to think of it, I really only use E, D, and B for my standard tuning :lol:

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Devil Driver is in Drop-C unless newer stuff has changed... I know when he got his Blue Custom that's now a Sig he was using 10-60's cause I always thought that was overkill.
In flames are in C Standard and some stuff use drop A#.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Well in B standard you can play any 7 string standard stuff too pretty much, though C tends to be a more favoured tuning as C just sounds nice to the ears.

Mexi

Reaction score
I always liked standard C for stuff like Black Dahlia Murder and In Flames and I generally roll with dropped B for bands like Veil of Maya. never really played much in standard B other than old Soilwork back in the day. it really boils down to personal preference really and what bands' music you want to play

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I'd recommend getting a fixed bridge so you can change tunings freely, especially if you're debating between those 2. They're both cool, but if my previous suggestion is out of the question, I tended to use C standard on a 6 more than B standard on a 7... :shrug:

datalore

awkward soul
Reaction score
B standard and C standard are one semitone apart. Neither is inherently more useful than the other. Why don't you try both and go with whatever you like best?

Reaction score
Or get a capo... Booyah!

Or even better...an amplifier capo!:lol:

In all honesty, I'd keep the floyd rose in standard and use the Schecter for multi tunings. I'm actually in a very similar set up. My Hellraiser C-1 manages all the low tuning and my Ibanez with the floyd rose stays in standard. I don't want to bother with adjusting the angle, even if my Ibanez outplays my Schecter.

NovaReaper

Banned
Reaction score
A tuning is just a tuning man. They all have different feels but really it's just down to personal preferance. I play alt rock in drop Bb.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of B standard. Pretty much I'm either in E or B standard. Sometimes I go with C but not too often.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Why not go whole hog nuts and try New Standard Tuning? :lol:

DaveFSJ

Reaction score
Go to B standard, but tune it above E, super high pitch. Sounds like you want to be original and you just might start something! Leader of the Up Tune Revolution!

Lilarcor

Reaction score
Or better, get a double neck guitar and tune it to both. Then you can play in C and B simultaneously. :rofl:

Latest posts

')