Standard-Dropped Tuning? [DCGCAD]

• Thread starter IRIS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IRIS

Reaction score
I was dilly-dallying around with some different tuning approaches tonight and I just thought I would share it with you all.

First off I took a favorite tuning of mine I always come back to play on with my 6-string, CGCFAD (Dropped C).

Then I took some aspects that I like about the way 7-strings handle drop tuning and tried to apply it as best I could to Dropped C on the 6-string. I also tried to make it so that while I do have it in a drop style, it also has a standard tuning feel. I took CGCFAD and heightened the C to a D to incorporate the standard feel. I then decided to make one of the notes have an open octave one string away as a dropped tuning does, so I took the F from DGCFAD and heightened it to G. In the end, I got DGCGAD.

I thought it were strange but it is almost as fun as it is challenging and thought-provoking to play in this tuning. I actually composed most of a song tonight because I liked it so much.

Anyway, I haven't seen or heard of this tuning anywhere. I just felt like sharing this approach/tuning to all of you. If you have heard or seen this type of tuning, please let me know. Thanks. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
Having you tried to barre a huge powerchord on that yet?
-0-1-
-0-1-
-2-3-
-2-3-
-2-3-
-0-1-

I imagine that might sound big as hell
And I've not seen that tuning before

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I use something similar on my 7 string, I have it tuned to Drop D with a Low A, so it's A-D-A-D-G-B-E. It was a challenge at first, especially figuring out ways to incorporate the low A, since the rest of the band tunes to Drop D, which is what necessitated this tuning in the first place, but I realized that I can use the low A in power chords that would usually just be on the D and A, and it sounds massive. Absolutely huge. It's completely changed the way I use a 7 string. It's fun to mess with weird tunings like that, I will agree.

aolol

Reaction score
I was really bored so I had to try this. G string snapped right off :lol:

Latest posts

')