Standard or Drop (Poll)

• Thread starter RGA8
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Standard or Drop

• Standard

Votes: 136 48.7%
  • Drop

Votes: 143 51.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I use...

F# B F# B E G# C#

And sometimes another half step down.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Drop tunings for my 8 string for sure, and if I'm ever playing music or playing in a band where we use just one tuning, I prefer dropped tunings. I like the chord shapes they open up, and after basically learning 8 string in drop E, I'm really used to the fifth interval between the bottom two strings.

If I'm just playing 8 string stuff on my own, though, I like keeping my 6 string in E standard, so all my ideas can translate over to my 8 string and vice versa. When I get my 7, I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep it in B standard to coincide with my 8 string, or do drop A for awesome extended chords.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
For my band Algarothsyum, I play my 7321 in A-standard (ADGCFAD). But I've been writing music for another project in the works that is either E-standard or drop-D (6 string, obviously)

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
my "go to" tuning is Drop C:

C
G
C
F
A
D

8last

Reaction score
I like alternate tunings because you can come up with some cool ideas you may not normally come up with by accident. For the 7 string it makes no sense to me not to drop the low B to an A. You can play all the standard stuff and have that extra octave lower to go to when you want it. (for most people that just means chugging the open a with a dab of the higher strings once in a while)
It's just too much of a pain in ass getting everyone to deviate from standard when jamming with others so I practice standard tunings more than anything. The guitars tuning should never limit you. For a long time I would create a mental barrier and let higher tunings limit me. A real musician can make any tuning work. Took a long time for that to.sink in

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
My six string guitar is in drop Bb and one my basses have the B string dropped to A and then the whole thing down half a step (drop G#?). my six string bass is in standard though.

Guess I am a drop kind of guy :p

Mexi

Reaction score
C# standard on my 6, no 7 atm. though for years I was in drop C or drop A#/C standard.

TheFerryMan

Sauvage
Reaction score
6 - 1 : Drop C#
6 - 2 : anywhere from Drop C to Drop B

Though I'll usually switch to D-standard if i want to write Dillinger-esque material

avinu

Reaction score
A standard. Although I would like to branch out to drop tunings eventually.

Pfalz

Reaction score
I prefer playing standard most of the time, but Drop can be interesting to make something a bit different.

6: Eb standard/Drop C#
7: A# standard/Drop G#
8: F# Standard (Don't have it yet)

')