Standard Strat for modern metal?

• Thread starter Sollipsist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sollipsist

Reaction score
I've got a Fender Strat that isn't getting much play, so I've basically been using it as a test guitar for pickups.

Problem is, it has a lot of things that make it very different from the guitars that the pickups would end up in - pickguard mount, vintage tremolo bridge, classic rounded neck radius, nickel frets, etc.

So I'm just not sure I'm ever getting a fair idea of what modern higher gain pickups would sound like. Does anybody use a Strat or similar guitar for modern tones? I guess it probably shouldn't be done, but can it be done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
Strats with a traditional bridge are pretty bright and “jangly” sounding and tend to pick up a lot of the spring/springclaw vibration and noise. Not to say you can’t pull off metal on a strat, but it’s not the IDEAL test bed for high output pickups for metal. Most “superstrats” were made with that in mind...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
IT can definitely be done. I think the bigger difference is that you're talking an alder or ash body and a pickguard rather than whatever the specs are of the other guitars you play, but a Strat with a humbucker will do metal well - a bit brighter and crisper than a LP, say.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
with the right pickup (preferably humbuckers) it can be done. in fact my am std strat with a paf pro is one of my favorite guitars to chug away

Darkscience

Reaction score
I've got a Fender Strat that isn't getting much play, so I've basically been using it as a test guitar for pickups.

Problem is, it has a lot of things that make it very different from the guitars that the pickups would end up in - pickguard mount, vintage tremolo bridge, classic rounded neck radius, nickel frets, etc.

So I'm just not sure I'm ever getting a fair idea of what modern higher gain pickups would sound like. Does anybody use a Strat or similar guitar for modern tones? I guess it probably shouldn't be done, but can it be done?

Pickups are going to sound slightly different in every guitar. They might even sound slightly different in the same model guitar. The only way to know how they will sound in whatever guitar it is you plan on using them in, is to use them in that guitar. But in my opinion you should be able to get an idea of how they sound, it is not going to be THAT drastic of a difference.

Whenever you think something shouldn't be done, that is probably when it should be done. Why not? I personally have not come across any guitar rules that says this should not be done.

Your last question is silly, you have been doing it all along, so yes it can be done.

zappatton2

Reaction score
Just speaking for myself, but I had an ash body strat and stuck a Seymour Duncan JB Jr in the bridge position and got perfect metal tones through the old-school Boss Metal Zone. I'd recommend a mini-humbucker to fit into the single coil slot.

JSanta

Reaction score
I'm selling a Highway One Strat for a family friend, and it's my first experience with a HSS Strat. It nails metal tones with the bridge humbucker. I've been really impressed with the guitar. If the neck shape was a regular C instead of modern C, I may have bought it myself. Any guitar can do metal, it's just how you shape your tone at the end of the day.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
^ Basically what Max said. If it feels comfortable to you and sounds good overall, it's just a matter of finding the right bridge humbucker.

Sollipsist

Reaction score
I've heard the theory that the wood doesn't matter, not sure that I believe it but even without a wood difference, there's a lot more "rattle" from the pickguard mount and trem springs. Definitely adds a zing to some pickups, a tiny bit of metallic echo. Could be a benefit for a duller pickup I guess...

mpexus

Reaction score
Personally I think you can play any style of Music on basically any guitar, its just a matter of adaptation and of course your preferences. That said... here are a couple examples:

Just change the pickups to what suits you better and rip on it :)

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
I think I can speak from this as I can actually relate to this topic. My first real guitar after my squier was a Fender Standard strat. I got this about 1 year 10 months ago in olympic white and back then I didn't want anything to do with metal. Nowadays, quite the opposite.

Anyways I definitely changed the stock pickups when I started getting into metal. I currently have the Jb/Sentient config (I had a custom loaded pickguard made for me and it is a weird combo yes) and the neck pickup is great and the JB is great for some things.

I say this because it would not really do well in thrash metal. For sabbath and early heavy metal, works fine IMO. Definitely works great for Hard rock and soloing.

It really depends on the type of metal you want to play. If it is modern I would GO ACTIVE!!! Take a look maybe into the fishman moderns? For passives maybe BKP? I would look at other brands and such if you don't like those. I really can't speak highly for what you want unless you list some bands since 'modern' metal can mean an array of things tonally speaking.

SD Blackwinters and Blackouts I heard are pretty good options. You really have to experiment with pickups. I feel that once you find the right one, you will see the light that Strats can do metal. Trust me it is more than the guitar, I think a good combination is pickup choice and amp choice will work towards your metal tones. I also heard the Duncan Distortions are pretty good for metal both older and modern.

As you can see I listed a bunch of options. Some might disagree and some will agree. Also do not listen to those who say get another guitar. I know this prob isn't the best option for you. Experiment with it before you decide what you want to do with the guitar.

Sollipsist

Reaction score
So far I've been testing darker pickups with the thought that too much high end would turn harsh. I was looking at Nailbombs but harshness hat been an issue for some people.... Foxbats seem like a definite possibility... or possibly a dimarzio set, Titans or maybe Sonic Ecstasys. Pretty wide range of choices nowadays.

Darkscience

Reaction score
I've heard the theory that the wood doesn't matter, not sure that I believe it but even without a wood difference, there's a lot more "rattle" from the pickguard mount and trem springs. Definitely adds a zing to some pickups, a tiny bit of metallic echo. Could be a benefit for a duller pickup I guess...

Let me put into perspective for you all the variables just off the top of my head that can change your sound. When I say change your sound, I am talking about something only you would notice. Not the audience, not your friends, only you, because you need to really get to know the guitar to hear a difference when changing these things.

Think about your guitar wood, pickups, string material, string gauge, string type (wound or unwound), pick material, pick thickness, pick size and finish, nut material, bridge material, bridge type, hollow body or non, pick mounting mechanism, thickness of wood, fret board wood type, fret material type, fret size, scale length, pickup placement, tone knob or non, capacitor type, capacitor value, wiring gauge, tuners, pick guard no pick guard, trem block size, trem block material, string angle off the nut, string angle to the tuners, string spacing at the bridge, neck through, set neck, guitar body shape, headless non-headless, amp type, tube type, amp settings, pedals, etc etc etc...(I got lazy at the end I think I can go on for a bit longer)

What matters is that you practice consistently, through practice you will begin to learn what you like and do not like about all those things above and have preferences. But in the end the point I am trying to make is that it will only matter to you, not your audience.

You can play blues, country, whatever with actives just as much as you can with passives.

Now I will say that yes, some things are better suited to certain genres. This happens because that is how the genre became that genre to begin with. Metal by nature is typically played with high gain etc etc.

Put into simple closing arguments, your guitar is not a limiting factor to the type of music you want to play. Hope this helps man.

P.S. being unique is better than following the masses. Playing Metal on a Strat sounds like a really good idea, go for it!

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
So far I've been testing darker pickups with the thought that too much high end would turn harsh. I was looking at Nailbombs but harshness hat been an issue for some people.... Foxbats seem like a definite possibility... or possibly a dimarzio set, Titans or maybe Sonic Ecstasys. Pretty wide range of choices nowadays.

BKP maybe look at the Warpigs? I heard they can really thicken and fatten the sound of an alder bodied guitar. Also are you against the use of actives?

Sollipsist

Reaction score
BKP maybe look at the Warpigs? I heard they can really thicken and fatten the sound of an alder bodied guitar. Also are you against the use of actives?

Not at all, my favorite 6-string for metal is my Schecter with EMGs. I'm really bad about forgetting to pull the cord out when I'm done playing though, so I burn through 9v batteries :D

The Warpigs sound great, very thick. I've thought about going with p90s for a while, Thorn has a staple-top pickup that I'd love to try out, I hear it's got a great grind.

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
Not at all, my favorite 6-string for metal is my Schecter with EMGs. I'm really bad about forgetting to pull the cord out when I'm done playing though, so I burn through 9v batteries :D

The Warpigs sound great, very thick. I've thought about going with p90s for a while, Thorn has a staple-top pickup that I'd love to try out, I hear it's got a great grind.

Maybe look into the emgs the schecter has? I would really advise that you look at all possible options. I am currently dealing with the same dilema with my Jackson Soloist. I am trying to find a set (Active or Passive) that fits my criteria.

Fuck I even bought a soldering kit to begin doing this stuff.

I plan as practice taking apart my squier and assembling back together (electronics wise). Any tips since I am sure you have experience soldering guitar pickups and stuff?

Sollipsist

Reaction score
Let me put into perspective for you all the variables just off the top of my head that can change your sound. When I say change your sound, I am talking about something only you would notice. Not the audience, not your friends, only you, because you need to really get to know the guitar to hear a difference when changing these things.

Think about your guitar wood, pickups, string material, string gauge, string type (wound or unwound), pick material, pick thickness, pick size and finish, nut material, bridge material, bridge type, hollow body or non, pick mounting mechanism, thickness of wood, fret board wood type, fret material type, fret size, scale length, pickup placement, tone knob or non, capacitor type, capacitor value, wiring gauge, tuners, pick guard no pick guard, trem block size, trem block material, string angle off the nut, string angle to the tuners, string spacing at the bridge, neck through, set neck, guitar body shape, headless non-headless, amp type, tube type, amp settings, pedals, etc etc etc...(I got lazy at the end I think I can go on for a bit longer)

What matters is that you practice consistently, through practice you will begin to learn what you like and do not like about all those things above and have preferences. But in the end the point I am trying to make is that it will only matter to you, not your audience.

You can play blues, country, whatever with actives just as much as you can with passives.

Now I will say that yes, some things are better suited to certain genres. This happens because that is how the genre became that genre to begin with. Metal by nature is typically played with high gain etc etc.

Put into simple closing arguments, your guitar is not a limiting factor to the type of music you want to play. Hope this helps man.

P.S. being unique is better than following the masses. Playing Metal on a Strat sounds like a really good idea, go for it!

All good points. Some things work well together on paper but not IRL, some things work so well that they've been done to death, and some totally unexpected combinations end up being exactly right. I've got a semi-hollow with low output toasters that gets great EVH and black metal sounds :)

I was thinking more along the lines of whether I was wasting time chasing a specific sound with the wrong fundamentals. If somebody was looking for a Hendrix tone, they might be able to get there with active humbuckers and mahogany, but they'd save themselves a lot of trouble by just getting a Strat with a good neck pickup :)

MoJoToJo

Reaction score
Love my AM Standard one guitar I will never sell built like a tank & versatile, I have numerous loaded pickguards that i chop & change one has Kinman Woodstocks but my favourite is a HSS with a DiMarzio Mo Jo humbucker in the bridge.. I had been looking for the right bridge pickup for this guitar & just removed the mo jo from an Ibanez as it did not work for me in that guitar & for kicks dropped it into the Strat & loved it in this guitar instantly. Not saying it will work for you but for me its staying put.

')