Star Trek Online Review

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Dear all,

Used the search and didn't see a thread for this one within the first five pages...

Well, my toon, "Justy Ueki Tylor" is coming along moderately well, and have to say that the customization options are fairly happening for your uniforms, crew and to an extent your ship. A shame that it can't be painted tie-die. ;)

Would have loved to have been able to play more of the different races vs. being only allowed access to the Klingons after a play-through of the Federation. Just to hit up those other said races: Gorn, Hydran, Lyran (my favorite), Thollian, ISC, and even the Kzinti (though this one might not happen due to Larry Niven licensing, but then again, he isn't too expensive).

Game play in space is much more simplified version of, "Star Fleet Command," with a cumbersome camera. Game play on the ground reminds me a little of, "World of Warcraft" and "City of Heroes." I've a horrid feeling that this is what ambulation is going to be like with EVE-Online when that update shows up this next winter.
On the space end, you'll pretty much try to cross the T until one of the four shield facings are down on the ship you're attacking and then you'll want to face that shield facing head on. This is extremely similiar to the general tactics of Star Fleet Command. Just like the former title, you only have the ability to go up or down approximately 5 ship lengths in either direction before you're blocked from downward/upward movement. You're not able to roll your ship, nor are you able to do a loop on anything other than the horizontal plane. This boils down to making this less of a 3D game and more of a ported over 2D table top game, and I hope in the near future that this gets fixed. One good side is that you can use asteroids as a means of picking the ship(s) firing at you. Then again, the flip-side is that said targets can do the same thing to you, too and you're not able to shoot the asteroids. Great old Gorn tactic from the board game was to lob asteroids. Also have to admit that the ad hoc nature of fleet forming is kinda cool; this means that while you are in the middle of a space-based mission, someone else from the same side can hop into your mission and run it with you. With the exception of area (neutral) loot, one player cannot loot another player's kill loot which is kinda nice. Really don't dig the respawn portion after getting killed off, nor the key spamming for your weaponry, though. Rather prefer EVE-Online's methods in those two areas.

The ground-portion isn't too bad, but it could use a bit more polish. Mainly, you're in control of up to 4 NPC toons (these should be as many of your bridge crew as possible). If another player is there then the ranking player gets to select the toons on the away mission and you get to take up one of the slots. I've actually been on one such mission where it consisted of four players and the ranking player was able to bring one of their command staff with them. It's very jerky and the camera control is really bad, I've found that I've spent a good deal of the combat with the camera looking at a wall after getting shot. Some collision issues are also present, nothing like getting launched through the roof by a phaser strike that didn't do any damage to you.

The economies feel very tacked on and frankly need to be a bit more simplified in order to make things a little less cumbersome.

Tutorials with a few tutorial items for the ground portions and for the ship would have made things less confusing and more readily available to the players. Some decent manuals (since you have to pay for the game besides a monthly subscription fee) would equally have been appreciated.

Lastly, the chat system needs some serious modifications, again, I'd recommend using CCP's example with "EVE-Online" for the fix.

Over all, it's fun with caveats. Shadowing is fairly happening, though the graphics are a bit more cartoonish than other games out there. The planets are fairly static which is a shame and the asteroids are VERY cartoon like.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

')