Star Wars Appreication Thread

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
i'm sure there are, but is anyone else a major star wars head? for years i have bought and sold customized star wars figures, i'm a huge fan of the movies and the books, comics as well, who else is strong with the force?:yoda:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I used to be a real SW geek, but it has died down a bit the last several years. It's still awesometasticness, though.:hbang:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta admit I love Star Wars. Just went to the Star Wars exhibit at the children's museum with my girl and her kids.

I used to read the comics back when the comics were about Darth Vader and Boba Fett and stuff.

When I was a kid, I had a ton of the action figures and stuff.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
I know donnie sometimes makes shannon dress up in a metal bikini. Does that count? :vince:

:rofl:

I loved episodes IV - VI. But I wasn't so crazy about all the prequels. They just didn't do it for me.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
yea, but everyone had seen the originals for so many years, they never could have made a set of movies to make all of the fans happy

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
I like all Star Wars movies and most of the books.

My favorite SW stories though, are not necessarily the ones Lucas wrote.

In particular I'm quite fond of:

Heir to the Empire - book by Timothy Zahn
Shadows of the Empire - book by Steve Perry
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader - book by James Luceno
Darth Bane: Path of Destruction - book by Drew Karpyshyn

Maybe the best SW story ever was Knights of the Old Republic, the RPG. Revan is hands-down the most complex character in the SW universe.

I am a big fan of Karpyshyn's writing. He did excellent work on KOTOR & the Darth Bane novel, and I'm currently reading his Mass Effect novel & anxiously waiting for the Mass Effect RPG to be released.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
All I'm going to say about episode one is this: Jar Jar Binks.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, some people think that Timothy Zahn is better at writing Star Wars stories than George Lucas is. I like his stuff, but I didn't think the Prequels were really that bad. I'm glad they did the prequels rather than sequels.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Timothy Zahn is too long winded. I've read 6 of his books. I've liked one. His ending of "The Last Command" about made me puke.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
What a coincidence. I've been on a Star Wars kick for the last few days. I've been watching them in numerical order (since I've never done that before) and over the past few days, I watched Episode I, II, III, IV, and V. I'm planning on watching episode VI tonight. "Return Of The Jedi" has always been my favorite Star Wars, followed by "The Empire Strikes Back."

Yeah, some people think that Timothy Zahn is better at writing Star Wars stories than George Lucas is. I like his stuff, but I didn't think the Prequels were really that bad. I'm glad they did the prequels rather than sequels.

I don't think the prequels are as bad as people make them out to be. Actually, I really really like "Revenge Of The Sith." "The Phantom Menace" could have actually been a pretty cool movie if there had been no Jar Jar Binks, Anakin had been a little less obnoxious, and a few other changes. The light saber fight at the beginning of the movie and the one at the end between Quin Gon and Obi Wan against Darth Maul were really cool.

A lot of people complain about the cheesy lines in the prequels, but they seem to forget about how many cheesy lines there are in the original trilogy. In high school, my best friend and I jokingly made a "Star Wars: Special Edition Special Edition" where we mocked and exaggerated Lucas' Special Edition. Among some of the things we changed, we upped the amount of "I've got a bad feeling about this" and "looks like we got company" lines.

Granted, the original trilogy's cheesy lines didn't have to do with romance, so we don't get any horrible lines like "You're so... beautiful." "Only because I'm so in love." No... only because I'm so in love with you." "So love have made you blind?" "That's not what I meant." Ah... those lines are SO bad...

I've been a Star Wars fan since I was 7 years old. I've owned over 10 Star Wars games by now (Rebel Assault 1 and 2, Shadows Of The Empire, Pod Racer, Star Wars - for Game Gear, Super Empire Strikes Back, and a bunch more I'm not remembering right now). In general, games based off of movies really really suck, but there are A LOT of really really good Star Wars games.

I also like how Anakin was the chosen one from the prophecy but not in the way they had expected. Kind of an interesting twist there. I didn't like how he had a virgin birth...

Well, anyway, won't go into my complaints. I'll just say that overall I've really liked the entire series. Episodes 4-6 are all masterpieces and 1-3 are pretty entertaining good films for the most part.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with Naren. The sword fights, planets, Ray Park & Liam Neeson are the saving graces of Episode I for me.

the.godfather

Mr. Flibble
Reaction score
Yep, I pretty much agree with everyone else.

Episodes 4 - 6 are complete masterpieces that could not be improved in anyway shape or form. Even 30 years later. :yesway:

Episodes 1 - 3 I thought sucked. But that's only because I can't help but compare them to the originals. Which you shouldn't do, as they will never come anywhere close to the originals.

The originals are pure classics though. They will just never get old. :bowdown:

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I was a huge Star Wars nerd when I was little, and I still like it today. I actually do enjoy all of the movies.

I hope they would make a Shadows of the Empire movie :agreed: or a movie chronicaling Han Solos younger days

RonGriff

Reaction score
I like Star Wars and ive liked it since I was a kid. I own all the dvds and videos too, huge fan. :metal:

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
What a coincidence. I've been on a Star Wars kick for the last few days. I've been watching them in numerical order (since I've never done that before) and over the past few days, I watched Episode I, II, III, IV, and V. I'm planning on watching episode VI tonight. "Return Of The Jedi" has always been my favorite Star Wars, followed by "The Empire Strikes Back."

I don't think the prequels are as bad as people make them out to be. Actually, I really really like "Revenge Of The Sith." "The Phantom Menace" could have actually been a pretty cool movie if there had been no Jar Jar Binks, Anakin had been a little less obnoxious, and a few other changes. The light saber fight at the beginning of the movie and the one at the end between Quin Gon and Obi Wan against Darth Maul were really cool.

A lot of people complain about the cheesy lines in the prequels, but they seem to forget about how many cheesy lines there are in the original trilogy. In high school, my best friend and I jokingly made a "Star Wars: Special Edition Special Edition" where we mocked and exaggerated Lucas' Special Edition. Among some of the things we changed, we upped the amount of "I've got a bad feeling about this" and "looks like we got company" lines.

Granted, the original trilogy's cheesy lines didn't have to do with romance, so we don't get any horrible lines like "You're so... beautiful." "Only because I'm so in love." No... only because I'm so in love with you." "So love have made you blind?" "That's not what I meant." Ah... those lines are SO bad...

I've been a Star Wars fan since I was 7 years old. I've owned over 10 Star Wars games by now (Rebel Assault 1 and 2, Shadows Of The Empire, Pod Racer, Star Wars - for Game Gear, Super Empire Strikes Back, and a bunch more I'm not remembering right now). In general, games based off of movies really really suck, but there are A LOT of really really good Star Wars games.

I also like how Anakin was the chosen one from the prophecy but not in the way they had expected. Kind of an interesting twist there. I didn't like how he had a virgin birth...

Well, anyway, won't go into my complaints. I'll just say that overall I've really liked the entire series. Episodes 4-6 are all masterpieces and 1-3 are pretty entertaining good films for the most part.

What a coincidence for me too - girlfriend & I just finished watching them in numerical order for the last 6 nights in a row. It was really fun! Nice to see the whole arc of Anakin's life.

I pretty much agree with everything in your post :agreed:
Especially about how cheesy the old 3 actually are. We probably don't notice bad dialogue & acting as much when we're kids, and I think most people have very romanticized memories about how good the old trilogy was. Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of all 6 movies, but I kept watching 4-6 as an adult, so when 1-3 started being released I had no illusions of what to expect acting-wise, and I enjoyed them tremendously (often to my friend's bewilderment :lol:)
George Lucas can't write dialogue to save his life imo, but it's the quality of the overall story & underlying mythological themes that makes it work so well. He says himself that he's a visual storyteller and these days I find myself liking episodes 1-3 more than 4-6 because of the quality of the visuals, and especially because of the vastly superior martial arts scenes.

The Darth Maul fight is just beautiful imo, and the Obiwan/Vader fight is as well!

just my 2¢

(and yes I fully expect to be :flame: for liking 1-3 more :lol: )

Latest posts

')