Star Wars ruined (Episode 7, Disney)?

• Thread starter Xiphos68
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stealthtastic

Doesn't play guitar
Reaction score
This will either be really good, or really bad.

Disney usually produces decent movies. But the fact that it is STAR WARS, the movie every kid dreamed about being in, that is a house hold name, will probably play a major factor in how well people like the movie.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Another thing to think about is that Disney also owns Pixar. Imagine a Star Wars made by Pixar. That could be really good. It's unlikely, but I can dream.

soundgardener75

Resident Weirdo
Reaction score
I'm all stoked about it. Finally I'll see Episodes 7, 8, and 9 while I'm still alive, and I'll be 40 when 7 comes out! :D

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I can actually see another trilogy being good, if Disney tries to treat this franchise with respect. Given how much money they spent just in buying the goddamn rights, not to mention making the movies, you can bet they'll do everything they can to make these successful.

Anyway, having recently watched all six episodes in numeric order, it became very clear to me that Lucas was trying to 'foreshadow' or hint at some of the major themes in the series from the beginning. There are a lot of parallel relationships and choices, some more obvious than others, between the original trilogy and the prequels, and I think if handled smartly, sort of recycling these themes with a new descendant would be fairly poetic. I would go as far as to say that the prequels, when taken as a whole, could be considered a re-imagining of the latter three episodes.

In theory, Lucas actually had a brilliant idea, by comparing/contrasting Luke and Anakin, but we all know how the execution is generally held to have worked out. Who knows if millions of Disney dollars can't at least make something worthwhile?

I don't even like Star Wars, but you guys tricked me into talking about it. Rude.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
You're forgetting that the reason the prequels sucked is because George Lucas can't direct. He won't be directing these, so they have the potential to not to suck.

He also can't write dialogue. :lol:

I am a huge Star Wars nerd, (Original, unaltered initial trilogy of course) and I gave up on Star Wars after Episode II. I saw Ep I when I was like 8 and thought it was ok, granted I was a dumb asshole at 8. :lol:

I just hope they get some decent actors. Not teenagers who can't act worth a shit but who look pretty (cough cough John Carter...). Also I REALLY hope this doesn't become the new Hunger Games/Twilight.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I just hope they get some decent actors. Not teenagers who can't act worth a shit but who look pretty (cough cough John Carter...). Also I REALLY hope this doesn't become the new Hunger Games/Twilight.

I didn't even think about this. It seems that in my lifetime, Hollywood has perfected the billion-dollar-movie-franchise, and half of them are teen/young adult series. I'd even reluctantly have to put The Avengers and such in that category, even though it burns my ass to consider comic book movies in that category.

I'm officially against Disney having the rights to Star Wars now.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
$4B is a lot of money for a bat and a dead horse. Goddammit.

As long as Adawyn's Revisited edits don't get stunted by lawsuits now that there's new ownership of rights/etc I don't care, but jesus. :lol:

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
Disney can't do any worse than Lucas. :2c:
this

while many dont like it, the phantom menace is my #2 in all the films
but attack of tthe clones and revenge of the sith are at the bottom

i really cant see how disney could make this worse...unless...

the continute the skywalker story:wallbash:

if any of you are SW nerds like i used to be, i'd like you to share your insight on this, but i find everyting after ROTJ is just poor garbage writing and awful story continuation. the NJO, Yuuzhan Vong, New Republic, all that stuff is just repetitious trash.

but i find all the back story to the old republic to be interesting and gloriously exciting. the whole bane series of books are worthy of a movie.

if anyone seen the trailers for the Old Republic game, imagine those short films at movie length
there's a lot of creative people that have been trying to keep the franchise alive, and while skeptical, i hope this will breathe live back into the first sci fi universe that fully captivated me as a kid

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
The whole Extended Universe is about to bent over a chair and sodomized with a frozen paper towel roll, soaked in tabasco. :rofl:

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Maybe I had some what of an over-reaction.

While Disney has proved to make some great movies (The Avengers, Pirates 1).
I was just very surprised to see that Lucas sold that part of the company and there is a chance Disney making Star Wars worse. But then again they could offer us something really cool.

It's up in the air right now.

wankerness

Reaction score
I'm surprised anyone had a negative reaction to this. It's virtually impossible that they'd produce anything worse than the prequel trilogy, and if you still feel strongly about star wars, it probably means that the prequel trilogy didn't manage to ruin the original series for you either. So, more movies can't hurt, can they?

What are people afraid of, a crossover with Jar Jar Binks and Sebastian the Crab? I really can't see Disney doing anything overtly terrible with teh series, and even if it's simply "meh" I doubt it would hurt too much.

I think the number of people out there who would jump at the chance to try and undo some of the damage done by the prequel trilogy would mean there's no shortage of real talent to make a halfway decent movie in the franchise. Like, Joss Whedon and the Avengers movie came from Disney - someone like him working on the next star wars movie would be completely awesome. The prequel trilogy forever cured me of any aversion to anyone "messing up the originals" via sequels. With how bad those were, it's probable that the more movies that come out the better the series will get as a whole.

The real question is, does this mean Disney will be able to get away with releasing the unmolested originals? I have avoided buying the dang blurays just cause of that NOOOOOOOO and the fact that you can't get any of the documentaries without buying the friggin prequels.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
I liked the Prequels.

crying-indian.gif

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Walt Disney Studios. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Latest posts

')