Started to play bass

• Thread starter maliciousteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
So recently I've had the itch to play bass. I think it's due to being bored and unenthusiastic to play the guitar. I've been playing guitar for over 11 years now but for the last year or so I haven't really practiced as hard as I used to. So I thought of trying something a bit different that may help.

With the help of one of my close friends (who's a great bass player) he leant me his Ibanez SRX-500 for really, as long as I want.

So today I went out and bought Bass guitar magazine (great interview with Stanley Clarke and Victor Wooten) to look for some inspiration and what I should persue.

Set that aside and learnt the bass line to "Play that funky music white boy". Already I'm alot more inspired and looking at music in a totally different way. I'm quite happy.

If I keep this up I'll look into buying my own bass (was looking at the Ibanez GWB-35) and maybe even look to join another band but as a bass player.

While you're reading this, please suggest some songs with 'need to know' bass lines :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slay

Reaction score
pink floyd - money
fleetwood mac - dreams
death - the philosopher

those are a few essentials imo

Reaction score
I have a little cheap ass Ibanez bass, that i got for $50 bucks at a pawn shop. I fuck around on it every once in a while. I have alot of fun playing bass and trying to translate guitar licks to the bass. Since i've been messing around on the bass, for some reason, its sparked a shitload of ideas on the guitar.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Death - The Philosopher

Re-fixed.

I've been playing bass for almost as long as I've been playing guitar (over 9 years playing guitar and almost 8 years playing bass) and, while I prefer playing guitar, the bass is a pretty damn fun instrument.

A lot of Led Zeppelin songs are fun on bass.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Aeroplane

is a great song on the bass.

Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls
Incubus - a lot of their songs off "Fungus Amongus" and "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." are great on bass

Anything by Atheist or Cynic is great on bass too. The bass on the album "Individual Thought Patterns" by Death is excellent too.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
If you're into Steve DiGiorgio's stuff, try to learn some stuff off of Defiant Imagination by Quo Vadis. Steve DiGiorgio had some killer bass lines all over that album.

Latest posts

')