Starting to actually get into running

• Thread starter Origin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I've been flirting with going running since about the ass-end of last winter, going about 3km (with numerous walking stops) every few nights. I also started reshaping my diet to include no fast food/pop/etc. In the past 3/4 of a year I've flaked on it a lot, got back into it, flaked, took a break for two weeks at a time, etc. and never made much progress.

Last month or two I've been forcing myself to go regularly, and even extended my route to 5k, but I would still stop often to walk and huff and puff, especially in the recent heat wave. A few nights ago coinciding with the nicely dropping temperature and partly due to my 24/7 green tea BINGE, I finally got my first personal milestone down of going 5 kilometers without stopping or walking at any point. And tonight I did it again. :)

Full-time school and work make it kinda a bitch, but it feels great to be improving and actually committing to losing the small amount of weight I want to lose/replace with muscle and drastically improving my cardio health. (I'm only 20 but fuck it)

TL;DR Anyone have any tips or experiences to share pertaining to getting into more advanced/extended running? I know I'm barely at the tip of the iceberg, but I want to get to 10k in the next year or so.

Thanks dudes :wub:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember awhile back there was a similar thread to this. Tiger (SSO's fitness guru of such) gave the recommendation of going to a "real" shoe store and getting a premium pair of running shoes professionally fit for optimum comfort and ergonomics. Some places will apparently tape your feet running on a treadmill to help analyze what shoes fit you best. Something I never would have thought up, but makes tons of sense.

FretWizard88

Reaction score
Dude, running is AMAZING! (Never thought I would say that) I was like you, I started running short distances and was off and on. When spring came around, I was determined to keep at it. I began running four miles every day to every other day, and I just fell in love with it. Not only do you feel good about yourself, but you feel a lot better physically as well.

Hope you keep up with it man.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I've been going every couple days as muh schedule allows. It's been getting easier and easier to do. Except my hips and legs still kill the day after. :lol: Still, :yesway: I might start going my 3k route on the days I can't go all 5 cause of doing assignments/shifts and shit just to do SOMETHING.

So far so good though. :wub:

ivancic1al

Probrem?
Reaction score
If you search proper running posture/breathing, it makes your runs a lot less terrible I've found. If you start to feel like shit, try finding a breathing rhythm in through your nose,out through your mouth. It helps more than you think. Might be old news, but it's really simple and a lot pf people aren't really aware of it I've found. Best of luck to you!

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I run 5-10k every day to every other day. I've recently gotten my girlfriend to start running with me too.

Consistency is more important than getting your distance up for now. Keep with running every other day or so until you're not feeling sore the next day. Then try to get out every single day. Keep the distance short enough that you aren't injuring yourself. Distance can come later with time. What you want is for it to turn into a habit kind of like showering where, if you haven't gone for a run that day, you'll feel uncomfortable like something's missing.

Personally, I really prefer to run early in the morning. There are fewer other people out to get in the way, it's usually cooler, it's easier to run on an empty stomach, and it's a nice wakeup. I can roll out of bed, run for an hour, take a shower and feel like I've already accomplished something for the day.

Also: drink a ton of water. Most people are mildly dehydrated most of the time. Being well hydrated is very important to feeling good when you run.

Krankguitarist

Reaction score
Good form and posture is really important while running...not only does it make your runs easier, it also helps to prevent injury.

Good shoes are an important factor as well. Here's a good rundown:

How to Choose Running Shoes!

For instance, I overpronate a little and have relatively low arches. I used to use a cushioned trainer for running, and those...well...didn't work out too well for me. I'm using a stability shoe now, and it makes doing my interval sprints MUCH more enjoyable. I'm a fan of new balances, but there are plenty of companies out there that make good shoes.

Also, if you ever feel like you're getting bored with distance running, try changing up your routine with interval sprints. Makes for a shorter, more intense workout.

meisterjager

Now available in HD
Reaction score
There's an awesome 1.1 mile (1.7km) run I used to do when I was fit (mid-teens). I used to do 2 laps of that every other day, then the first time I sat and mapped out a 3.7 mile (6km), I despised doing it, and got so bored doing laps of the short route that I just stopped doing it.

I'd love to take it up now I'm not quite so ADD about life :lol: Don't reckon my knees would like me for doing it now I'm about 16st, 6'1".

So, yeah.. I envy you!

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
You're stretching after runs, right? Stretching beforehand when your muscles are cold is pointless, but afterwards it's essential and will go a long ways towards preventing injury and making you less sore the next day.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I'm stretching both before and after but if before is useless then I can ditch it I guess haha. The hydration thing is a no-brainer but I appreciate the push since I haven't been taking a bottle with me or anything. I'll start of course. I have a really nice pair of Asics I use, so there's no worries there; my feet have very pronounced (off the ground :lol:) arches, and they feel absolutely fine after running...love Asics :wub: My legs have been firming and I'm a little less spaghetti-legged after each one :yesway:

And I'll definitely look into the breathing and posture, I appreciate that. :)

Reaction score
3rd year xc runner here :wavey:
One thing you HAVE to remember, is to warmup, and then stretch, BEFORE a run, and then, you need to cool down at least a mile AND THEN STRETCH afterwards. Or you will hurt and possibly develop a chronic injury.

Something else is to make sure your back is straight, and that you have good arm movement and leg lift. Also, breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, in a controlled way. If you're going on a long, easy-paced run, and your breathing is ragged, you are going too fast.

If you want to really step up, you can have a schedule of hard-easy-hard days, that's what my team does. My schedule is usually Monday: 800 meter repeats (generally 6), Tuesday: Long run (6-7 miles, plus warm-up/cool-down) Wednesday: 200 yard hill repeats (12-16), Thursday: long recovery run (5-6 miles, plus warm-up/cool-down), Friday: 400m repeats (12-18), Saturday: Extremely easy day, 3 miles, Sunday: Long run, 6 ish miles.

Something else to remember is to have a good diet. Eating like shit will make you feel like shit.
Hope I helped/ shed some light on something

Krankguitarist

Reaction score
There's been some studies on static stretching before exercise in the past 10 years, and it seems that it might not be as beneficial as previously thought. In fact, some reports claim that it can destabilize your muscle fibers, making them less prepared for exercise.

If you ask me: it's probably a good idea to skip the static stretches in your warm up. That means the stretches where you hold a position for 10-30 counts or so. Ditch 'em. Try dynamic stretches instead: lunges, torso twists, side bends, arm circles, etc. Just work through your whole range of motion.

BrutalExorcist

Chronic Chugger
Reaction score
I'll probably have about 30 people attempting to stab me with spears for saying this, but as expensive as it is, check out getting a heart rate monitor watch. Definitely look for one which reads from a monitor strapped around your middle torso, and preferably use one which will convert your heart rate into percentage of your maximum heart rate. I use an Timex Ironman Road Trainer, and at first I worried that I was blowing $102 on a fancy piece of bloated crap, but it's helped me quit my overtraining-undertraining spiral and more methodically plan my runs. It also helped me get through my first trial 20K run a couple days ago in a long time by alerting me I pretty much used up my carbohydrate reserves on the last few miles, so I dropped back to my Zone 2 (60-70% MHR, fat burning zone) to get through the rest of the run.

Do you NEED one? Nope, not at all. It's more of a Cadillac vs Chevy comparison than a Cadillac vs Schwinn Bicycle one.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
try doing the long distance every other day...and between those days do wind sprints as fast as possible. you could just go out on your street and run 40 meters, walk back, then run it again....do that about 30-40 times. One, you get to rest (briefly) but sprinting burns more fat than jogging, also, after stretching your muscles for sprinting, jogging will feel easier.

If the terrain allows, try jogging up hills over and over...that is a great workout for calves and strenghtens them for flat running

take aleve....seriously....not tylenol...just aleve...that shit is like morphine for your muscles. if you are still sore the next day take a few aleve and you'll be good to go

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I'll second the heartrate monitor recommendation. I don't use mine anymore but they're great for learning to pace yourself. When you're starting out and don't have a good sense of how your body reacts to running it's really easy to start out running way too hard and burn yourself out early.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I'll keep the monitor in mind, but so far I'm not straining myself very hard; I feel great afterwards, only my hips tend to be sore for a day or two, and not nearly enough to make me not able to run again. :yesway: no marathons yet for me. :lol: I'll see if my dad has some kind of monitor (casual runner too) laying around since I don't really want to budget it at the moment with tuition and the 8 getting built nagging at me, but the pacing aspect does interest me a lot. :)

Had a brief antsy period where I hadn't run for 3 days straight; kept doing things/hanging out later towards the night and using the 'ehn' excuse. Decided to piss myself off and force myself to go while in a state of lethargy after work today. Worked :yesway: going to try and step up to at least every other day to shake off the ehns.

matty2fatty

Reaction score
Go find 'The Running Room's' training programs. I did it last spring for something to do, and went from 3 or 4 km runs to up to 18kms at a time, and feeling great the whole way through. The program is spread out over 4 months.

You'll be amazed at the progress you can make. I only loosely followed the program and still drank and smoked on the weekends, and still made great gains

Latest posts

')