Starting to actually get into running

• Thread starter Origin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Is there anything decent for $20? I need it really quickly, and money's not something I need to worry about for XC. I only need a running watch because it's required by my coach.

attachment.php

I suspect it will get you all of the ladies too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bevo

Reaction score
Ran a 30K race in a pair of what I thought were neutral shoes with lots of padding and found out after they were support type shoes.
I don't know if it related but I have shin splints now and an issue with my quad...sucks!

No running for a bit for me..

I think I might hit the gym and try to put some muscle on this body, my 90lb girlfriend is stronger than me at times LOL!!

Tiger

Reaction score
The gym certainly helps with retaining your quads man, thats why I squat so often.

Dude maybe you can help me out, Im trying to figure out what is causing my right calf to be so strained. I posted this over at runners world.

So far the best idea is that Im 'cocking' my foot sometimes but not always, but then I wonder why my left leg has no symptom at all.

Bevo

Reaction score
I see that but its slight, your toes come up to high then have to go a long way to get to your forefoot.

When I started running barefoot style the guys mentioned to lift your leg straight up but with your knees almost letting you toes down.
The idea was to keep you calfs moving as little as possible.

Going to check out a gym today, I have stuff at home but not near enough and the gym I like has a pool which I really want for cross training!

troyguitar

Reaction score
So now that I've determined I'm actually capable of some decent distances and times, it's time to get a little more serious about this stuff.

Do you guys who do distance running really only do one long run per week, with 2 days of no running at all, and 4 days of running less than half of your long distance, like most plans I've seen online?

Before this I was running a flat 4 miles a day, every day at the same pace. Now yesterday I ran 10 miles. The online plans seem to indicate that I should do nothing today, then stick to 4 or less until going for 11 next Tuesday. I swore there were people who run 15+ miles every day, is that not true?

Bevo

Reaction score
Some of the big mile guys I run with run surprisingly light during the week and long saturday and sunday.

After a long run if your pretty sore a short run of 25% or less of your long run will make you feel much better.

My week is typically like this, miles would vary depending on my goal or progression.

Monday Off
Tuesday 10K easy pace
Wednesday fast 15K trail run with hills, maximum tempo run with warm up and cool down.
Thursday 15-20 easy pace.
Friday Off
Saturday race or fast 25-50K depending what the group is doing.
Sunday 25% of Sat easy run.

Fast pace is 7:30-8 min mile, easy is 9:30 min mile.
The fast race pace can sometimes get into low 7's for the entire run.

Hope that helps!
For me I found the two rest days and slow runs helped me recover faster and be stronger for the faster stuff.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Interesting, I'm not actually varying my pace at all at this point. The 10 miles and 4 miles have all been at very easy pace (10 minutes per mile).

I guess I'll just keep getting on the treadmill every day for now until I start feeling bad :lol:

Infamous Impact

Reaction score
While we're posting our workouts, here's my running one, it's more track and field oriented, but I find it to work very well, and easily adjustable. Currently I'm doing a lot more long runs for cross country, but it only helps my 400 meter times.
Monday: Hard Conditioning Days, usually 4x400m repeats at a sub-55 pace or Tabata intervals (20 seconds sprinting, 10 seconds walking for 8 cycles, whole workout is 4 mins).
Tuesday: Form Day, usually work on the blocks and for field events. Easy run of 4-6 miles at a 7 minute pace.
Wednesday: 40 Minute run followed by hill repeats.
Thursday: Easy run, same as Tuesday.
Friday: 20 Minute tempo run.
Saturday: Long run
Sunday: Rest
Using this I have solid all running. Right now my schedule's focusing on longer runs, usually I have 200m repeats and short sprints. Most of your weekly mileage should come from long runs.

Bevo

Reaction score
Nice week!

I can't stress how important it is to vary your pace, running one speed on the road is not only boring but will lead to repetitive injuries.
Try to mix it up with hills or faster pace for 30 seconds or better yet find some trails in the woods.

Treadmill is ok but not the same as the real deal out there, your not getting the full experience and when you go outside you will find it much harder..

Either way keep at it and take a couple days off a week..

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I've totally strayed from running over the past few months since I've gotten very into mountain biking, but managed to vary it up a bit. Started running again last month. I'll run a few miles near my place and then on the weekends I've been running in the mountains instead of biking them.

Feels good to get back into running, except that first week was a killer. I'll go biking through the mountains for 4-5 hours twice a week, yet that first time back into running had my legs feeling like bricks for 3-4 days.

Tiger

Reaction score
Going to bitch here for a second...I'm a long time Suunto user and lover, hell bought their new $500 ambit as soon as it came out.

Because they break for no good reason, I sent in my 3rd dead heart rate monitor needing it repaired (they always send me a brand new one)

So while Im waiting, I run another 5 hour run that I would have LOVED to have HR data on, hell I depend on it. They send it back...STILL BROKEN. Like they didnt fix the thing. So I rush it back to them, now all week Ive been waiting on a reply saying its shipped back to me, this is after I called and let them know what was up and to please rush it since they screwed up.

So it wont be back in time for Saturday, a 7 hour night run. Whats worse is Im trying to do it aerobically, and without my HR to tell me Im in the 140's range, its hard to do. Pissed off.

Besides whining, I am entering this race for my tune up before the 100 miler.

http://www.pretzelcitysports.com/laborpain.html

I think Ill do 55 miles and call it a day, probably wont do the full 12 hours but I want it to be a nice time on feet run that I recover 100% from by October.

Bevo

Reaction score
That's to bad, I did not know they had those problems.

You should pick up another hr only watch for when this one is in the shop. Sucks but $75 bucks will save your training.

That run looks like fun and great training!

troyguitar

Reaction score
That race is actually near me but there's no fucking way I'd spend my holiday weekend feeling like death.

Today I got an iphone armband, a Polar H7 heart rate widget, and was supposed to get the silly Withings wifi scale but the idiot "Jimmy James" at HRM USA packed the Withings blood pressure cuff in my box instead :wallbash:

I spent the evening trying to get the rest of the crap to sync up and measure everything, displaying on iSmoothRun on the phone and exporting to RunKeeper on the interwebs. Took me so long that I only ended up running 1 mile so perhaps I'll start for real tomorrow.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Had my first real outdoor run yesterday getting most of the gadgets working, then did a bigger one today. I also bought a shirt and shorts in the fancy wicking/stretching material in addition to a bluetooth stereo headset - these things both made a big difference in my overall comfort level. Went 8 miles at 9:30 pace and 160 bpm today which is quite an improvement for me.

...now I need to buy a bunch more of these shirts and shorts though at $20+ each :wallbash:

Here's a question for you guys running long distances: How do you carry your food/drinks? Running 1-2 hours now is starting to push it without at least a water break so I need to find a good solution.

Infamous Impact

Reaction score
Here's a question for you guys running long distances: How do you carry your food/drinks? Running 1-2 hours now is starting to push it without at least a water break so I need to find a good solution.
I usually start hydrating and eating for a long run the night before. If possible, you can stash water and food along your route before your run. I don't like carrying anything when I run, so that's all I have. I've only stashed water on the route when it was a 12 mile run in triple digit weather.

Bevo

Reaction score
Nice!

The rule is 90 min you don't need food and if your going over 90 start eating before one hour. Also, its super important to eat right after your run like within 15 min.
Most say an hour but I find for recovery 15 lets me run the next day no problem, less so with an hour.

For 40 min or less I take nothing.
40-90 and not super hot I take a handheld bottle in 600ml size.
60+ on hot days I take my Ultra inspire back pack (Camelback) with 2 liters of water. It also has pockets for food and salt pills. I just take Nutrigrain bars and eat a half every 20 min for just over 300 calories an hour.

If its hot or humid and your sweating lots you really really need salts even if its 40 min, once you stop sweating salt (you will taste it if your seating enough) your going to cramp and have all kinds of problems....Trust me!!

If its hot I will take one before I start then one every hour, I may even take one after I stop depending on the time since the last one.

If there is one piece of advice to give its to monitor your body for changes, look for sweating to stop, keep your temperature in check, look for slight cramps, keep a very close eye on 300 calories per hour, watch your salts.

If you do all of that your runs will be consistent and you will be able to correct something BEFORE it becomes a show stopper.
In races I kinda get excited and forget, I have had to walk out of some trails dehydrated and nauseous like you can't believe. That was because I was racing and not monitoring my body...

Tiger will put his comments in but it will be his spin on the same advice!
Keep at it and have fun!!

Sorry for the long post but it will help.

Tiger

Reaction score
I use a nathan sport pack with a two compartment hydration bladder, so I can dial in more water or more carbohydrate fluid depending on the situation.

My last two weekends I ran on a loop for 5 and 6 hours with an 'aid station' that I came back to. I carry a 24 ounce nathan bottle and just put in what I need at the aid station.

EDIT: Things arent an exact science though, I fucked up and got heat exhaustion yesterday, and now I am definitely feeling like a big pile of ass today, Im basically useless.

Bevo

Reaction score
That happened to me this summer as well but I fought it off by laying in a river for 10 min a few times on the way back.
If that water was not there I would of easily been stroked.

We met a guy who was super sick throwing up all over and bright red and not sweating, he was alone walking like a drunk. we took one look and put his legs in the river and gave him his water and wet his upper body.
After 20 min you could see his colour return and he felt 100% better, it was pretty funny. He seen he was sitting in the water and goes what the hell, then sees us and is who are you..this was after 30 min of cooling him down lol!!

')