Starting to actually get into running

• Thread starter Origin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I need to get one of those backpack things, just ran 12 miles (very slowly as I'm fighting a cold :wallbash: - 2h14m) today with no food or water until I got back home at the end and was starting to feel it pretty strongly the last few miles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bevo

Reaction score
Just take a bottle with you, the handheld with a strap is best because you don't need to hold it. They also come with a small pocket to put some food and stuff in it.

Take a couple bucks with you and stop at a store to buy water of find a fountain on the way.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Do you actually run with a ~2 lb weight in one hand for an hour plus? Seems like that would start to get heavy after awhile.

Bevo

Reaction score
Mine is 600ml or just over a disposable small water bottle, with the strap you don't notice not to mention your drinking it so it gets lighter...

A fanny pack works too around your waist but it constantly feels like I have to take a leak with the pressure on the bladder.

Some like the running belt with the small bottles, I don't..

Go to a running shop and see what they have..

troyguitar

Reaction score
Next question:

If my goal is to improve both distance and speed, what's the best way to do that?

i.e. I can run 10+ miles at this point but at a very slow pace and I can also run a 6:00 mile but only for 1 mile. The goal is to be able to run 10+ miles all at the fast pace. Is it more effective to keep running 10 miles and slowly increase the speed or start out at the desired speed and slowly increase the distance? I'm assuming that doing both on alternate days is the answer, but it is difficult to know.

Most guides I have read online focus only on distance and more or less ignore speed. If I keep up running, I'll have to work a lot on speed because I'm a competitive person and want to win races - not just finish them. It's a disease :lol:

Infamous Impact

Reaction score
Next question:

If my goal is to improve both distance and speed, what's the best way to do that?

i.e. I can run 10+ miles at this point but at a very slow pace and I can also run a 6:00 mile but only for 1 mile. The goal is to be able to run 10+ miles all at the fast pace. Is it more effective to keep running 10 miles and slowly increase the speed or start out at the desired speed and slowly increase the distance? I'm assuming that doing both on alternate days is the answer, but it is difficult to know.

Most guides I have read online focus only on distance and more or less ignore speed. If I keep up running, I'll have to work a lot on speed because I'm a competitive person and want to win races - not just finish them. It's a disease :lol:
Add in speedwork days, where you do tempo runs, track workouts, hills, etc.

Bevo

Reaction score
If you have your base miles in and it sounds like you do the next stage is tempo as said above and interval training.
Another thing is consistency which is huge, the more time you miss the worse it is.

LSD, long slow distance, your base run, you should not be running hard and when your done you should feel refreshed not tired.
Tempo is a shorter run which is done at 80 percent doing 50 percent of your long run.

To speed myself up I did this..but it does not mean you need to..

Monday off.
Tuesday LSD
Wednesday tempo
Thursday LSD
Friday off
Saturday long faster trail run
Sun short slow recovery run.

I found my speed picking up each week and on race day I could run flat out for a few hours no problem.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I just tried doing a "recovery run" today and had to go so slow it was walking pace - 14 minutes per mile to keep heart rate under 150 bpm.

I don't understand what an "easy" LSD run would be I guess... no level of sloth-ness is slow enough for me to be refreshed by running, any pace is tiring.

Bevo

Reaction score
Just take the day off and do something else then like sleep or play guitar..

Take the time to get your body stronger, be consistent and it will start to pay off.

I felt the same way then on one run with a group I looked at my watch and was amazed that we were running 8 min miles for two hours.

I still suggest finding a group to run with, it pays off more than you think!

Infamous Impact

Reaction score
I've noticed two things as a sprinter doing XC:

1. After a meet the rest of the team complains about sore feet because they all wear padded shoes for the week and then run their fastest 3 miles in spikes with no cushioning. And they call me crazy for wearing minimalist shoes. :lol:

2. I'm a lot more comfortable running at a fast pace, have a strong finishing kick, and do well in meets where you have to go all out, but I die after a mile during a practice where everything drags on, at least mentally. The endurance aspect is almost purely mental. My legs don't give out before I do. Running longer distances help me cope with it.

Guess it pays to be as well rounded as possible.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I have to wonder if you guys just never had to start from being old-ish and out of shape.

I'm running further and faster than I was and it has been getting easier, I just have yet to experience an "easy" or "refreshing" run no matter how slow I go, no matter how short the distance, and no matter how many days off before hand. Running is hard and tiring. Maybe next year I'll be able to relate to you guys...

Bevo

Reaction score
46 in a month or so....punk....... LOL!!!

Ever driven a car with a small engine that keeps struggling to keep up?
Ever drive a car with a big engine and its so effortless you have to constantly slow down cause it just takes off on you?

Lungs and heart are the engine, get those in good shape and you will easily pick up your pace.

Talk about old, there is this lady who has to be early 50s and looks it, soft saggy and probably an ex smoker.
She kicked my ass twice this year in races mind you I had stomach issues and had to walk for a bit.
We talked as we walked up a hill and she just started running 6 months before, 1 year before she was in a crash that broke her legs, pelvis and a few other things.

We were running 50K and this was at 45K, I ran off and crossed the line 5 min before her, her entire family was there to meet her including me.

If she can do it so can you!!

I also run with a 60 year old couple who are on the third 100 miler this year...
I also hate to run with this 23 year old guy called mr excuse...i put the ear buds in with him around, player off of course LOL!!

troyguitar

Reaction score
Hey I never said that I can't do it, just that it has never been easy or refreshing. That is the part that I cannot relate to. I fully expect to run a BQ time next year, I just expect to feel like crap at the end much like I do at the end of every other run :lol:

Bevo

Reaction score
Water and food will really keep you fresh through a run, bring a bottle with you for anything over 30 min.
Once you hit an hour you will need 300 calories an hour.

Did you get a heart rate monitor yet?

troyguitar

Reaction score
Yeah I have been rocking the heart rate monitor this month, this is the longest run so far:

Running Activity 13.19 mi | RunKeeper

It seems like heart rates in the 160's are where I can comfortably run for long periods of time, slowing down enough to stay in the 150's or lower usually means walking pace and 170+ I start to get tired much more quickly.

Tiger

Reaction score
Had my mind somewhat blown today by this product:

VESPA Power Products, LLC - An all-natural amino acid complex that optimizes performance & recovery

Ive seen it in trail magazines for years and finally bought two packs of it just to try it cause hey why not.

It works. I was really expecting nothing but I felt really good on a long run today with a much lower heart rate and my aerobic groove was on. Burned less calories from sugar for the same distance, yes please. It's too expensive to use every run but on my long runs over 30 miles and definitely on the 100 miler Ill use it. Im pretty intune with my body and I felt way better than someone who is run down with a two week old in the house who got up at 4am should have felt. Cool stuff.

And who doesnt want to eat wasp goo?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I have to wonder if you guys just never had to start from being old-ish and out of shape.

I'm running further and faster than I was and it has been getting easier, I just have yet to experience an "easy" or "refreshing" run no matter how slow I go, no matter how short the distance, and no matter how many days off before hand. Running is hard and tiring. Maybe next year I'll be able to relate to you guys...

Dude, don't try and pull this old/out-of-shape shit

I was 21 when I started LSD running because of THIS thread, and I went from running 13 minute mile down to a just over 10 minute, or if I busted my fucking hump and never slowed down until the last quarter or so, I was pulling a 9 minute mile. At that time, I was 271 pounds, yet I was running 9 minute miles if I pushed myself so it's entirely doable to go from out-of-shape and horrid physique to doing good times; AND afterwards I felt good FROM running.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Then my body is just fucked :lol:

I can jog a 15 minute mile or sprint a 5:45 mile or run 5 miles in 40 minutes or 10 miles in 100 minutes or any other combination. Afterward I feel tired and sometimes sore. I have never, not once, felt good after running.

Latest posts

')