Starting to actually get into running

• Thread starter Origin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bevo

Reaction score
When I used to run retarded miles way back in the day I tried eveverything to keep cool in our hot humid summer.
The best idea is to run when its cooler but life always gets in the way.

What I did find to be the best was a long white paper thin shirt, it kept the sun off you and your sweat stuck to it so any small breeze felt way better.
I didn't use a hat but one of the running hats would probably work well.

The new technical shirts they have now would be great but you can't beat a thin long sleave T for cheap.
Oh yeah, running with no shirt... stupid, it just burns your tattoos out of your skin!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I despise heat, in summer I generally just run at 930 or 10 at night so it's cooler in as little clothing as possible (thinass shirt and tight cutoff shorts or my fancy Unearth shorts :wub:) Winter I've done the same thing, mostly out of habit but also because I'm either getting up for school or a 10-hour shift pretty much every day so night is when I have the time. :lol:

I'm with you though, I hate summer. Hate hate hate it. I sweat my ass off no matter what, I've become uncomfortable in even just 0 degrees, if I don't have active cooling I get hot fast haha. No clue why, but winters are quite comfortable. Except of course, once you get to extreme cold and windchill, in which case it can fuck off no matter what.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I've resorted to running in my college's gym. :lol:

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess what I'm trying to say is I've resorted to running in my college's gym. :lol:
:agreed:

Just found this thread, glad I did. I started running more seriously after Christmas and have actually kept with it and gotten better :yesway: The inspiration from this thread isn't hurting, either.

Anyway, to get back OT, I hated running outside back in the day, because all I could think about was how far I'd run (and therefore how far I'd have to run back haha). Running on a treadmill at the gym kept me from thinking about that as much. Not to mention, people watching keeps things from getting as boring :lol:

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I used to have a treadmill, but would still prefer running outside regardless of the conditions. If I'm on the treadmill at home or in the gym, I'd be much more likely to slack off. I'd get off to grab a drink, which would end up in checking my emails or wanting to add/remove music on my ipod, or some other kind of excuse to skip running just because it'd be so convenient to run inside without actually going anywhere.

I'm more likely to push myself running outside. Maybe I'll change up my route or stray off to a different area. Whatever works for you is all that matters anyway. I'm sure people watching can be pretty amusing.

I despise heat, in summer I generally just run at 930 or 10 at night so it's cooler in as little clothing as possible (thinass shirt and tight cutoff shorts or my fancy Unearth shorts :wub:) Winter I've done the same thing, mostly out of habit but also because I'm either getting up for school or a 10-hour shift pretty much every day so night is when I have the time. :lol:

I'm with you though, I hate summer. Hate hate hate it. I sweat my ass off no matter what, I've become uncomfortable in even just 0 degrees, if I don't have active cooling I get hot fast haha. No clue why, but winters are quite comfortable. Except of course, once you get to extreme cold and windchill, in which case it can fuck off no matter what.

I wish I could run once the sun goes down, but it's not really possible due to no street lights. I'd run early in the morning, but if I don't have to be up early for work there's no way in hell I'm getting up early to run lol.

Bevo

Reaction score
I just read a book called "Born to Run" which is a story of some natives in Mexico and the Ultra running comunnity. These guys think nothing of going for a 100 mile run with tires for shoes.

Talk about inspiring, hit up you local Library and borrow it, or get it at Chapters.

It goes back to the pureness of running right from stoneage, it also damns the invention of the running shoe.
The story also goes on to mention a new way to run, short and sweet.. you land flat foot not with your heel.

I have been doing this type of running for the last few weeks barefoot on the treadmill and after the calfs got use to it it is effortless, I could litteraly run all day!

Check it out if you can!

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
Do any of you that run on a regular basis take any kind of supplements? I run in the morning and hit the gym later in the day. After workouts, I always have my protein shakes. I've never really thought about taking any pre/post supplements for running. I don't run to cut weight, just to keep in shape since I'm more on the skinny side.

I'm thinking about a protein shake in the morning after running and then another after workouts. This coming week I'll be giving nitric oxide a shot only as a pre-workout supplement. Do you guys take any pre supplements for running?

Bevo

Reaction score
Me nope, I don't eat meat or go looking for protien either after the run or gym.
For me real food is so much better than one of those shakes, I aim for natural food as much as possible.

I think for you some eggs toast and coffee after the run would taste better no?
If its for weight gain then you have to eat more all day long, its about total calories and how much you burn.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I've changed diet not long ago and still making a few adjustments. I've been trying to eat better meat as often as possible, rather than just getting whatever. Obviously, nobody relies on supplements. They're just that extra something that can't hurt to take. My protein shakes are load with protein and a decent amount of essential amino acids and then I add a few things for more caloric intake.

I actually started eating eggs more often. Not a big fan of the taste and texture of eggs, but that's where cheese kicks in. No coffee for me. It has never appealed to me. All I really drink is milk and a lot of water.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
First 7k today, hooray! Felt so baked afterwards that I almost fell. :yesway:

ivancic1al

Probrem?
Reaction score
^ :yesway: Good work man! How's the weather by you? It's sunny in St Catharines, but since it snowed this week it's all slushy and shit. I keep telling myself to go for a run, but it's gonna be so slippery :/

Bevo

Reaction score
You guys have to get into the trails, there is just nothing like it, quiet and all consuming with needing to see where your going.
I signed up for a 25k trail race out near Hamilton and can't wait!!

Last week i got two new pairs of shoes, New Balance MT101 for the trails and Mizuno Musha for the roads.
Both are minimal flat type shoes and just a treat to run in, they feel like your wearing socks!

Keep at it and it will become adictive, I am dying to go right now but I ate a late lunch and its still heavy in the belly....crap!!!

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
^ :yesway: Good work man! How's the weather by you? It's sunny in St Catharines, but since it snowed this week it's all slushy and shit. I keep telling myself to go for a run, but it's gonna be so slippery :/

Wellll, that's the thing, I just went to my college's gym and went on a treadmill. :lol: The weather's alright; what snow did fall is melting and it's sunny if still a little cold. I lost my desire to run in cold too, I breathe way shittier.

Bevo

Reaction score
I just got back from my run and my ass is frozen and the rest of me is hot?
Roads and sidewalks were clear in Toronto just a cold cold wind but it was still worth it!!

Revan132

Reaction score
Can anyone report on how beneficial it would be to my running if I switch shoes? I am using a really subpar brand of reebok sneakers I acquired a few years ago at Marshalls for around $20. I was thinking of using my paycheck and going out and buying the top of the line Nike Running Shoe for my specific running type (Roads and Treadmills, the occasional Trail). I have been doing Interval training for over a month now and my objective is to not my hurt myself in any way if I start tacking on a nice brisk jog on my off days. I am really starting to love running! :agreed:

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I didn't think shoe would make THAT big of a difference until I actually bought a few pairs. My regular shoes are Macbeth's, which I ran in for about before deciding it was time to get some running shoes. I bought a pair of Nike Dual Fusion and another pair of Nike, can't remember what they're called. Be sure to try everything on! Shoe sizes are very inconsistent, especially when it comes to running shoes. My Macbeth's are 10.5, the Dual Fusion are a 9, and the other Nike are 8. All of them fit fine. None are too tight or too big. Weird, but whatever works.

Running shoes are very comfortable and have added support that you won't find with regular shoes. Regardless of how often or little you're running, it's well worth your time and money to get a pair or two of running shoes.

Bevo

Reaction score
There is a big movement away from super padded shoes to more of a barefoot running shoe or minimalist.
Running heal toe tends to shock your system while running flat foot with shorter strides is lighter on your body. Landing on your heal its a joint impact, on your fore foot its a muscle impact.

I went to a minimal set of shoes a few weeks ago, they have a minimal heal pad and its flat from toe to heal with minimal rise.
Running in them was hard on the calves but once i got used to it i had so little pain I could easily double my mileage.

Rent the book born to run from the library, its a great read that explains how evil running shoes have become.

Long story short, you don't need to spend huge money on shoes but you should get some help to buy them.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I have some old Asics I got for free after someone left them in the lost and found at a gym forever, my dad picked em up. :lol: Also have some Adidas runners. Neither is too padded, thank shit. Just feels weird. But i definitely need arch support as mine are high as hell, so I love me some non-flat shoes. :lol:

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
8k, let's see if I can keep this bullshit up.

Revan132

Reaction score
Bought some brand new New Balance Running Shoes and WOW I saw a major difference in performance. I am comfortable as can be and ran 4 miles on my day off. I admired the scenery and had a blast running (For once)! :agreed:

')