STC - String Tension Calculator v0.1.9.1 - Corrected CK strings weight datas!

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
The long overdue STC with corrected weight data for CK strings is out. It took me way more time than anticipated due to too much work load (TM) to get this out, but it's here, so enjoy :)
Recognized string type in this version :

Circle K :
  • ckplg plain steel with guitar style ball end
  • ckwng wound nickel/steel hybrid with guitar style ball end
  • ckplb plain steel with bass style ball end
  • ckwnb wound nickel/steel hybrid with bass style ball end
D'addario :
  • dapl plain steel
  • dapb phosphore bronze wound
  • danw nickel wound
  • daxs stainless steel wound
  • dahr half round wound
  • dacg Chromes - Stainless steel Flat wound
  • daft Flat Tops - Phosphore Bronze Polished
  • dabw 80-20’S- 80/20 Brass Round Wound
  • dazw Great American Bronze - 85/15 Brass Round Wound
  • daxb Bass - Nickplated Round Wound
  • dahb Bass - Half Round - Pure Nickel Half Round
  • dabc Bass - Chromes - Stainless Steel Flat Wound
  • dabs Bass - ProSteels - ProSteel Round Wound

Changelog :
Code:
v 0.1.9.1 :
- Separate CK strings for guitar and bass (new codes : CKPLG, CKNWG, CKPLB, and CKNWB)
- Uses 5 characters codes for CK strings now.

Ishan out.

Attachments

• STC_0.1.9.1.zip
    117.5 KB · Views: 745

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KhzDonut

Sam Valentine
Reaction score
I use your calculators obsessively, thanks for putting so much time and effort into this, it's been immensely helpful!

Robby the Robot

The President Bits
Reaction score
Awesome. Just ran out of strings and need to order a few more sets, and this calculator is helpful.

vansinn

Reaction score
Didn't know you're a programmer..
Hehe, I was about doing the same last year, using the same codebase :)
Nice job, Ishan :agreed: - and very cool Knucklehead has supplied data for his strings; if only all other manufacturers would do this, but then again, they'd firstly have to come up with useful extended range string sets..

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not against a sticky but it would become irrelevant as a new version comes out, as I don't have the ability to edit the first post after a while :(
For the story: I'm an application administrator (whatever that means) in a big financial corporation doing both production and coding works. So I know my fair share of Java but am pretty much inexperienced with GUI coding. Most of what I do is server side :)
As for weight data, only two company disclose these out, and you know who they are :D
I've searched around and found nothing else, and I don't have much time to contact other companies and ask if they were willing to give theirs to me.

Last edited:

ixlramp

Reaction score
There are some companies like LaBella and TI that publish tension data, so you can back calculate the unit weights from that.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
LaBella only publishes tension information on a limited set of their nylon strings, at least as far as guitar strings go.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Heh oh yeah i was thinking bass strings ;)

KhzDonut

Sam Valentine
Reaction score
Mac friendly?

Works fine on my mac, except I notice the "save" feature doesn't work quite as it should (for me anyway) but all calculation functions work just as they should.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
It depends on the version of the Java JRE you have installed but it should work.
I suggest you all download the latest Java JRE on java.com: Java + You you never know :)

@KhzDonut> what kind of problem are you experiencing? Maybe I can fix it.

iloki

Reaction score
Would be pretty cool if you could work out a way to do multi-scale instruments.
Probably wouldn't be too terrible if you took in a number of strings as an input.
I'm gonna play with it and see what I can come up with :)

I'm not a big fan of java.. I tend to think in terms of C# lol.. (IT Admin/Developer :))
I haven't looked through your source much yet, but if you calculate the scale length of each individual string, either into an array or into a property of each string (as an object) then it should be pretty simple to implement.

If you're not opposed I'd like to take what you've done and play with it. As I said I'm not a big fan of Java but I've done a fair amount of work with it.

EDIT: Scale length on a per string basis can be calculated this way: (short length) + ((string number - 1)*((long length)-(short length)/(number of strings - 1)))
so, for a seven string, 25.5 to 27, it would look like this: (25.5) + ((1-1)*((27-25.5)/(7-1))) = 25.5 , (25.5) + ((2-1)*((27-25.5)/(7-1))) = 25.75, (25.5) + ((3-1)*((27-25.5)/(7-1))) = 26 and so forth.
I verified these against FretFind 2d and they are very close, not exact, but within a few thousandths of an inch, plenty close for these calculations I think.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
I would love to be able to generate output for multiscales without having to run the numbers for each string.
What I've been doing is using the individual string lengths from my FretFind2D numbers and running the STC once per string. It's quite tedious, and I'm no coder so I hope one of you smart guys thinks up a way to make this possible (and then builds it into an iOS app so that I can brainstorm string tension numbers on the go!!!!).

iloki

Reaction score
If I had a way to develop for iOS I would take a stab at porting it over.. but alas I don't.
I can, however, take a stab at porting it to Android.. as the base java should all be the same, would just need to build a manageable GUI and a way to store sets on the device.

Latest posts

')