STC - String Tension Calculator v0.1.9.1 - Corrected CK strings weight datas!

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, if you had been more specific and less rude I could have helped you out :)
It's for Java 6 minimum, on what OS are you trying to run it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Where in the manual does it say "what to do when you have java and it won't open."

Yeesh, it's version 0.19 and made by a member in his spare time, you can't expect a large detailed explanation for java problems. If there is ever any problem with java it will most certainly be time to update your java.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Well, if you had been more specific and less rude I could have helped you out :)
It's for Java 6 minimum, on what OS are you trying to run it?

Sorry!

I seem to have Java 7 on Windows 7 64bit ... really would like to get this working so I can sort out a custom set for my new 8!

iloki

Reaction score
Ok, do you get an error message at all when it doesn't start? If so, can you take a screenshot or copy/paste the error for us?

Really shouldn't make a difference for this app, but have you tried running as an admin?

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Ok, do you get an error message at all when it doesn't start? If so, can you take a screenshot or copy/paste the error for us?

Really shouldn't make a difference for this app, but have you tried running as an admin?

A little command line box opens up quickly then disappears, I don't really know what that means.

iloki

Reaction score
Try right clicking on STC_0.1.9.1.jar and choosing 'Open With...' and then choose the 'Java(TM) Platform SE Binary'

That should do it, I think.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Code:
strings 9
shortlen 25.5
longlen 30
G4 .008 CKPLG == 14.74#
D4 .0105 CKPLG == 14.92#
A3 .014 CKPLG == 15.5#
F3 .017 CKPLG == 15.01#
C3 .024 CKWNG == 17.06#
G2 .033 CKWNG == 17.8#
D2 .043 CKWNG == 17.06#
G1 .065 CKWNG == 17.7#
D1 .086 CKWNG == 17.79#

I actually prefer this one. It's nice to just have everything spelled out. While the alternatives are much simpler, they may confuse new users.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I think I do too, it's way less confusing :)
I'll have more time to work on this in a week or two, I'll try on implementing it.

RoadToNever

Reaction score
I noticed Labella has started posting tension info.

Would it be easy to add tension data, or does it require recompiling?

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
I noticed Labella has started posting tension info.

Would it be easy to add tension data, or does it require recompiling?

Got a link to that? I saw the new product catalog but I don't see any tension values aside from the usual classical string data.

RoadToNever

Reaction score
It's only some bass lines(super steps, stainless, NPS). Sorry if I got your hopes up. Thomastik post tension data but no singles.

RoadToNever

Reaction score
BTW, I mentioned in the previous STC thread, albeit implicitly, the prosteels data might not be accurate. Tensions posted in the product description pages differ from that of the tension chart pdf. I brought this to Don Dawson of D'addarios attention last fall. He's very friendly and replies quickly when I email him every 2-3 month for an update, but as of yesterday the issue is unresolved.

iloki

Reaction score
Would people find a mobile version of this helpful?
I have been toying with the idea of porting this to Android.

If people are interested, I'll work with Ishan a bit and see what we can come up with. He's done most of the hard work already :)

I don't currently own a Mac, or I'd work on an iOS version too, as I already have some experience developing for the iPhone thanks to my job :)

vansinn

Reaction score
^ Having taken two courses into programming for iphone/pad, I think programming such an app in xcode/objectiveC first, and then porting it to Andröid would be easier than either the other way around, or doing two separate ports.

(disclaimer: I won't be programming for i-devices; development kits sold, don't like apple's restrictive user-data-gathering biz model; a Bit pity, as xcode is quite nice)

iloki

Reaction score
Xcode is quite nice.

The reason for android being easier first is that the base is java, so all that really needed to happen for an android app is a mobile layout and control flow.

BMMA

Reaction score
Would people find a mobile version of this helpful?
I have been toying with the idea of porting this to Android.

If people are interested, I'll work with Ishan a bit and see what we can come up with. He's done most of the hard work already :)

I don't currently own a Mac, or I'd work on an iOS version too, as I already have some experience developing for the iPhone thanks to my job :)

I would find it VERY helpful!!
It's just that I own a phone with Symbian S60 3rd edition (feature pack 2), and not Android :squint:
Most of the time I don't have a computer with me, and I 'need' Ishan's STC lots of times. The currect JAR-file cannot be run on my phone, ofcourse, and I don't have the knowledge or programming skills to port it.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
bumping this like a mofo.

I started messing with acoustic strings on your calculator. I started checking if the calculator aligns with the d'addario website (using dapl and dapb codes in the calculator) and the phosphor bronze wound strings don't match.

E4 : 10 plain - 16.22 lbs (website) VS 16.21 (STC) : correct.
B3 : 14 plain - 17.85 VS 17.84 : correct.
G3 : 23 PB wound - 27.90 VS 27.95 : still correct.
D3 : 30 PB wound - 26.7 VS 27.1 : 0.4 lbs difference
A2 : 39 PB wound - 24.66 VS 25.37 : 0.7 lbs difference
E2 : 47 PB wound - 19.1 VS 20.7 : 1.6 lbs difference.

I would assume the differences keep increasing with thicker gauges.

If you could correct that :wub:

I'm just at a loss to find a very accurate calculator for acoostick strings. STC rocks for CK electrics so it would be great if it was a 100% reliable tool :)

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thanks again! I just grabbed the updated version.

Ray

')