Steampunk rg7 (Yes I know)

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
THAT IS THE SINGLE GREATEST LOOKING GUITAR IN THE HISTORY (and I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say this) OF TIME ITSELF!!! :drool:

OMFG!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know what the quote would be to get a guitar modified to that?

EDIT: The guitar is an Ibanez RG7620 GN that was, and I quote, "ugly" so the lead singer painted it and used grandfather clock parts to modify it. Later a lady from Dangerous Detritus known as liquidsolution (parents must have had a sense of humour :lol: ) made the parts around the bridge.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember seeing it on here before but, for the record:

steampunk.jpg

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That looks awesome. It would look cool with some custom inlays too. :agreed:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just got done looking at every Abney Park vid. on youtube, Magdalene Veen's myspace, and model mayhem account... you know, for more..um... Steampunk RG7 pics........ :ugh:

BTW, where did all the newer pics of the guitar originally come from? I can't find them anywhere?

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got done looking at every Abney Park vid. on youtube, Magdalene Veen's myspace, and model mayhem account... you know, for more..um... Steampunk RG7 pics........ :ugh:

BTW, where did all the newer pics of the guitar originally come from? I can't find them anywhere?

:lol:

They were probably from some page to do with the woman who made it. Dangerous Detritus. Google. :agreed:

But what did people think of their music?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Ruarc = Thanks for the info on the builder. :yesway:

I think they've got something really serious there... the concept and the direction. But I think it could be executed better.

For example, almost everything having to do with the vocals is cheesetastic. The lyrics, the dude's vocals, and the harmonies don't do the music any service.

Also, the instrumentation is a little off, IMO. Like, it's supposed to sound kinda dark and brooding-like; with both classical and futuristic type elements. But some of the guitar riffs, and the violin pieces sound a little too bright and happy, like a renaissance festival, rather than a post apocalyptic/futuristic medieval-esque landscape like it seems they're trying to go for.

The last gripe, would be that *from the newer videos I saw* the whole dress-up theme part of their performance seems a little overboard and comes off a bit corny. I like the look, in general, but it seems to be a little TOO over the top.

I think this video is descent example of what I'm talking about (Magdalene = :drool:):

Overall, though it might not seems so, I really dig it. There's some really neat elements and there's a cool kinda atmosphere. I'll probably be looking into them, and people in that genre more because of this thread, for what it's worth.

Again, any "critique" I had was just in my own taste... just kinda what I'd prefer to see/hear in an experience. :2c:

EDIT: Also, their playing abilities aren't bad. I couldn't play the violin to save my fucking soul, and I think the female backups in their stuff are on par.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
I have to agree with you on all points there. From what I've read (I only heard about them today :lol:) they're trying to redefine their guitar tone. I think the female singer is ok but the male singer needs to really go for it and SING! They're actually on a tiny budget from what I've read.

I've heard the guitarist play a solo. He's really quite good actually. :agreed:

If you read the lead singer's blog and any interviews they've done they're just taking the piss half the time. :lol: They're really funny too. You can buy dogtags from them with "Expendable Crewman" and "Portable Organ Doner" written on them. :lol:

')