Steinberger GT Pro deluxe, what do you think!

Ninjahat

Reaction score
After investigating alittle I have found that the GT pro is actually quite cheap. I know that price isn't always directly related to quality, but when it's 399 I'm unsure. Add in the fact I am also looking at a Z-T3.

There is also NO way for me to be able to play either to decide. I checked the specs and they seem extremely similiar.

But anyway, Please give reasons for/against the ZT3 and GT pro please, so I can makeup my mind!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsby

Nerd
Contributor
Reaction score
i personally would go for the ZT3 mainly because i hate the gt pro shape :lol:
i have played both and i prefer the ZT3 shape and feel

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
These are two totally different beasts and you'd be somewhat better comparing the Synapse vs. ZT3 but even that's not quite fair. The GT is neck through with a hard maple neck while the ZT3 has the traditional Steinberger bolt-on graphite neck with phenolic fingerboard that everyone loves; myself included. The GT also has the R-Trem which some consider to be an inferior model compared to the S trems, and I can only imagine the Trans-Trems as well - I haven't heard much on the TT's besides on the Synapse but those are in a different application so it might not be as useful.

I'd go for the ZT3 because I've owned a Steiny and know how great the "true" ones can be, so one without the graphite neck and board might not be the same besides having the name

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The ZT3 doesn't have a graphite neck, it has a maple bolt-on with a graphite truss rod channel.

I haven't played the new TransTrem, but the old ones were awesome and definitely nicer to use than the R trem. Another thing to consider is if you'll use the alternate tuning support the TransTrem offers.

Of the two I'd probably go for the ZT3 if for no other reason than I'm not a fan of the paddle designs.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The ZT3 doesn't have a graphite neck, it has a maple bolt-on with a graphite truss rod channel.

I haven't played the new TransTrem, but the old ones were awesome and definitely nicer to use than the R trem. Another thing to consider is if you'll use the alternate tuning support the TransTrem offers.

Of the two I'd probably go for the ZT3 if for no other reason than I'm not a fan of the paddle designs.

Ah, you're right. I mis-read the specs on the Steinberger site and assumed it was saying Graphite Neck with truss-rod channel not graphite truss rod channel in a maple neck

Be_eM

Reaction score
There is also NO way for me to be able to play either to decide. I checked the specs and they seem extremely similiar.

Similar? The only thing both share is what they don't have. A head ;)

The Spirit line is more or less the cheapest way to get something that represents basic Steinberger concepts, but it's in no way comparable to the ZT3. If you specifically like the "paddle" shape, I'd say: get a Synapse or a Hohner. Both are of better quality than the Spirits (although single Spirits may be good guitars, but it's hardly predictable, quality varies too much).

The ZT3 is the only guitar that counts as a valid successor of the USA line. Different to those in sound and handling, but that means just "different", not better or worse. I'm not sure in which condition the ZT3 will be in 20 or 30 years (some of my USA Steinies are that old, yes, and in a great condition), but right now I really like the feel, handling and playability. Love that neck :)

Bernd

Tordah

Reaction score
Spirit quality is not actually that bad, picked up one at GAK and it felt pretty solid; just a bit off my Synapse.

I also saw the ZT3 which is good quality for the price, but nothing that will blow you away.

However, it all depends on what you're going to be using the instrument for...

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, you're right. I mis-read the specs on the Steinberger site and assumed it was saying Graphite Neck with truss-rod channel not graphite truss rod channel in a maple neck

Yeah that was one of the let-downs for me when the ZT3s came out :lol:

Reaction score
I just recently bought a GT-Pro and it is very comfortable to play, took a little getting used to picking without an entire body to rest my hand on. The pickups are OK, which is what led me to making the dumb decision of trying to put an active EMG in the bridge, so I can barely remember what it sounded like originally.

BlackStar7

Lord Autumnbottom
Reaction score
The TransTrem on the ZT3 is a very cool piece of hardware and definitely worth it if you're dying to have that transposing function. That said, when you buy that guitar you are basically paying entirely for the TT. I personally found the build construction on the two ZT3s I've played very mediocre, but those could have just been bad apples. I seem to recall someone on here suggesting the ZT was basically a $600 Korean-made Epiphone attached to a very fancy (and appropriately expensive) bridge.

Totally just my opinion though; by no means a bad guitar and the closest you'll get to the USA line. I certainly found both of them very playable if not comparable to the old Steinies. Still, I think ZT3 is only worth it if the transposing feature is a must-have for you.

')