Steinberger Spirit + EMG 85x: Help!

Reaction score
Recently I purchased a Steinberger Spirit GT Pro Deluxe Guitar and an EMG 85x to put in the bridge, cuz I thought it would be a simple cut and install and would make it sound great.

So I had a friend and his dad install it for free. They got it in with a battery (and I think used a different jack) and it works, but

-Of course only the bridge pickup works and the other 2 Stock passives (Neck H and Middle S) are basically dummies
-The pickup selector was taken out altogether due to only having one to use
-The sound, to me feels as if it's weaker than it was with the stock pups (due to "incorrect" wiring/not having the correct parts?)

SO, my questions are:

What do I need to make it sound better/"correct"? (we only had the bare minimum for installation and I don't know if there are certain parts we need for active pickups)

OR

Can I go back to just using the stock pickups? (even though the bridge stock pup and selector were basically gutted, but I still have them lying around)

NOTE: Yes, I was at the time and still am, pretty new to how electronics/pickups work. And yeah I clearly didn't do enough homework on this...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

')