stereo 4x12 or two 2x12s?

• Thread starter sleewell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
my current rig uses 2 amps (6505 and quilter tone block 200), 2 cabs and an aby pedal. I already have one 2x12 so adding another could be an option or getting a stereo 4x12 could also work. I don't really run a stereo rig for the typical reason of wanting the effects to bounce back and forth but rather more of wet dry setup where I just want that straight into the front of amp sound from one side and then the effects from my helix from the other. mainly thinking about this to avoid having to haul a 4x12 and 2x12 which is what I am doing right now.

thoughts? thanks!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go with the stereo 4x12 for no other reason than its a million times easier to haul and setup. Totally worth it.

Two 2x12s would probably be "better" in the sense you could better tailor each for the given amp and play around with stereo separation more in the future, but who the fuck wants to haul that?

sleewell

Reaction score
good point.

2x12s are pretty easy for me to carry even on stairs, obviously one more trip though. 4x12s require a hand here and there but with casters they get easier in spots.

my buddy has a 1960 with the stereo option, i should probably try that and go from there. does it break the speakers up vertically or horizontally?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
IMO it's easier to carry one 2x12, twice, than one 4x12, once. Andy Timmons used to tour like this, using a pair of 2x12s in what I'm pretty sure was a mono setup, and honestly that doesn't seem crazy.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I would have suggested the opposite, to go for the 2x 2x12, for portability. I'd much rather have two cabs I can move myself than one cab that I need help with, if all else is equal.

Edit: Ninja'd

Bearitone

Reaction score
I say 4x12. Can’t beat that extra volume in the cab. Two 2x12’s does not sound like a 4x12

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
What do you guys think of 2 1x12s? I've switched to that setup out of sheer room requirement and frankly, I really enjoy the sound, personally and get a surprising amount of low end out of them.

I noticed separated by about 6 feet, stereo delays sound absolutely amazing and laser focused.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
What do you guys think of 2 1x12s? I've switched to that setup out of sheer room requirement and frankly, I really enjoy the sound, personally and get a surprising amount of low end out of them.

I noticed separated by about 6 feet, stereo delays sound absolutely amazing and laser focused.

For a short time, I was also limited by footprint, and I had a two x 1x12" setup...stacked on top of a 1x12 acoustic combo...with the head on top (so tall it's out of frame). In hindsight, living in a seismic zone, this was stupid. :lol:

GPznGMb.jpg

For those that do run stereo in one cabinet...from any distance, can you actually tell it's stereo? FOr a while I had to have both of my PC speakers right next to each other on my right side, and I sounded mono.
upload_2021-11-4_13-12-34.png

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
For a short time, I was also limited by footprint, and I had a two x 1x12" setup...stacked on top of a 1x12 combo...with the head on top (so tall it's out of frame). In hindsight, living in a seismic zone, this was stupid. :lol:

GPznGMb.jpg
Hahaha yeah, that would leave me quite nervous. First time I'm noticing the amount of figuring in your RE board on that Aries, looks sooo good.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Also spud, no it doesnt sound stereo to me. Its all about the separation that does it. It does sound good running one Wet one dry, makes it a bit more easy to make out the main signal and less mudding up of effects when theyre really heavy, but actually separating the cabs is a whole nother world.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
MaxOfMetal is the forum bodybuilder.

Despite having half the speakers, most 2x12s are only about 15 or 20 pounds lighter than most 4x12s, which usually have casters and set-in metal hardware.

I'm old with arthritis and worn joints, if I can still haul a 1960B so can y'all. :lol:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Despite having half the speakers, most 2x12s are only about 15 or 20 pounds lighter than most 4x12s, which usually have casters and set-in metal hardware.

I'm old with arthritis and worn joints, if I can still haul a 1960B so can y'all. :lol:

It's the angles I hate more than the weight. A 4x12 and a narrow set of stairs is torture.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

1960s are light though. Haul a PPC412 then think about the 212 idea :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1960s are light though. Haul a PPC412 then think about the 212 idea :lol:

It's like a ~20lb real world difference. Fuck Orange though, they use those garbage skids without removable casters. Quality is junk too.

Trust me, I've done the multiple cab thing. I've hauled four at my height of geardom and I'd probably stop playing altogether if I needed to do that again. :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
It's like a ~20lb real world difference. Fuck Orange though, they use those garbage skids without removable casters. Quality is junk too.

Trust me, I've done the multiple cab thing. I've hauled four at my height of geardom and I'd probably stop playing altogether if I needed to do that again. :lol:

20lbs extra is enough night after night. The secret is having a dolley for gear (one I wish I learned much earlier). Getting older not younger generally means find ways to make it easier, not accelerating not being able to do it :2c:. "Work smart, not hard"

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's the angles I hate more than the weight. A 4x12 and a narrow set of stairs is torture.

If a full size bass drum fits, a 4x12 will fit...usually. If your drummer is rocking an 18" that they just trigger and you have an old Marshall Tall Boy, yeah it's a no-go. :lol:

')