stereo 4x12 or two 2x12s?

• Thread starter sleewell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
20lbs extra is enough night after night. The secret is having a dolley for gear (one I wish I learned much earlier). Getting older not younger generally means find ways to make it easier, not accelerating not being able to do it :2c:. "Work smart, not hard"

If ~90lbs is untenable, ~70lbs twice is probably just as unhealthy of a lift if we're being real.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
From someone who has moved just about everything you can think of- if you really want to stay safe get a lumbar support belt and/or a good hand truck style dolly, and two 2x12s. 1 cab will not be a full potential stereo rig and 70lbs twice IS safer and better than 90lbs once. Awkward to lift often means dangerous to lift. 20lbs really is a lot if your nearing something outside your personal comfort to move.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
All these years and no one told me I was He-Man. Screw guitar, I'm going to go shop around glossy 8x10s for covers of romance novels. Nerds!
To be quite honest- I’d be surprised if a good few of us weren’t burly motherfuckers who can quite safely move 90lbs. I can, but I’ll don’t prefer to do it for free. A new back is expensive AF and most of us probably want to guarantee a long life of buying gear we don’t need.

Reaction score
I really don't understand why this forum is always acting like 4x12s are some beastly haul. I've carried them with one hand into venues with my amp in the other. Granted yeah it'd be a bit tiresome to do that up a flight of stairs or some shit but for god's sake it's not that bad. Some of you all need a gym or something.

Lopp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mesa 4x12 Rectifier Standard Slant cab:
104lbs

Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Vertical Slant cab:
75lbs

Mesa 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier cab:
61lbs

Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Compact cab:
50lbs

sleewell

Reaction score
My orange 4x12 predates the ppc. It's not that heavy all things considered, I wonder if the ppcs are heavier?

My 2x12 is def not 70lbs, I'd say around 50. Very easy to carry.

At any rate I did a google search and found a mono stereo jack plate for like 26 bucks that I am considering for my orange. If I could have either option on that cab it would seem like a great way to go and might save getting another cab which is good since I have 2 other 4x12s besides the orange lol.

laxu

Reaction score
Nothing like a 4x12 cab thread to bring out all the Manly Men Who Can Lift Anything. It's not about if you can lift it, it's about whether it's in any way convenient to do so, fit it in a car and so on. All that extra weight and size adds up.

I'd go with two 2x12s and set them vertically. Gives you the option to use a stereo rig or a wet/dry rig.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I hauled 2x 412s 2x twins (with cables etc in them for storage) an svt classic and an svt 810. Im over that :lol:

Reaction score
Nothing like a 4x12 cab thread to bring out all the Manly Men Who Can Lift Anything. It's not about if you can lift it, it's about whether it's in any way convenient to do so, fit it in a car and so on. All that extra weight and size adds up.

I'd go with two 2x12s and set them vertically. Gives you the option to use a stereo rig or a wet/dry rig.
I don't think anyone is arguing that..moreso noticing people who act like carrying a 4x12 is like giving birth to an elephant or something.

Is it harder than carrying a smaller rig? Obviously. Is it going to ruin your life and send you plummeting into the depths of despair? No.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to carry around one of those Orange 4x12s even with help. But the reality is that a lot of times I don't have anyone around to help move cabs around, so the smaller form factor is a big win for me.

IMO the cab thing isn't just about the weight, it's also the shape, and how boneheaded you're willing to be. My H&K 4x12 doesn't seem to weigh much, and I don't mind carrying it alone, but google claims it's 90lbs. The Mesa 4x10 I have is within 10lbs of that, but it feels like a beast to carry around because the depth makes it awkward to lift. It's not that I don't have the strength, it's just not easy to navigate it.

Also stairs. You can be as macho as you want, moving cabs on your own through stairs is a risk every time.

I used to singlehandedly move around my Traynor bass cab, at about 150lbs, including (very slowly and carefully) going up and down stairs, until one day I made a mistake, dropped it, and it basically shattered my big toe. I'm sure I don't have to explain why that sucked. Don't be like me. Be smart. Know what your limits are and either get gear that's within that, or get people to help you out.

sleewell

Reaction score
I hauled 2x 412s 2x twins (with cables etc in them for storage) an svt classic and an svt 810. Im over that :lol:

yea that sounds like a lot but i bet it was glorious.

overall hauling gear does not bother me at all and this wasn't meant as a complaint thread by any means. its all part of the process and usually I am so geeked about playing shows its just part of the fun with your band. but at the same time I am always thinking of ways to streamline my rig yet still get the best tones possible.

help your bassist with their stuff and then ask for hand with yours or if you have another guitar player that works too.

bassist from a previous band just said he wants to go to our 11/20 show and that he would help me load shit for a couple of beers so I may splurge and go 2 4x12s just because. life is short, I'm getting old, might as well.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'd also argue that for live shows, you're likely going to to be mic'd and those close mics aren't going to care how big the cab is. That extra low end or whatever you might get from the extra cab is basically only going to benefit you and your stage sound.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
These discussions always remind me of PlayStation vs XBOX :lol: Either option is viable. Get whatever you find a good deal on. The aftermarket stereo Jack plates are great for flexibility, and far less expensive than new cabs. You can decide how you want to split the stereo (L/R or top/bottom), and they’re easy to install.

0rimus

Reaction score
Shit I slap those Plug n' Play jacks in damn near all my cabs. I mean, why tf not?

20210923_180536_HDR_50.jpg
20210923_183221_50.jpg
20210923_180617_HDR_50_1_85.jpg

sleewell

Reaction score
good to hear, those are the ones i was looking at. i was on like 3 hrs of sleep yesterday lol, should've just googled first but am glad to hear you like em.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Stack em and indeed it does :lol:
Nah nah you know what I mean lol.
Having that singular, large internal volume can’t be replicated with a bunch of smaller, separated, internal volumes.

0rimus

Reaction score
Yeah physically getting the jack plate in there is the only difficult bit. The plate is pretty big so you could butcher the wood beneath it and have it covered.

Not sure how it would affect resale... Unlike heads, pedals, and guitars, I buy and sell cabs way less frequently.

')