stereo 4x12 or two 2x12s?

• Thread starter sleewell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Nah nah you know what I mean lol.
Having that singular, large internal volume can’t be replicated with a bunch of smaller, separated, internal volumes.

Cant say I could hear a "not 412" sound in my buddy's rig, but my experience is limited.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eyelessfiend

Reaction score
When I gigged my Orange HP8 4x12 it took two people and usually someone getting the doors for us. My old Marshall 1960A only took one person and I could get the doors for myself. So I think its more about the cab itself. That being said I now usually use one 4x12 and one 2x12 or two 2x12's and run em like a stack.

sleewell

Reaction score
^^ haha thats funny you say that bc i was just considering getting a 112 powercab and then running it with the 6505/orange. might be a better idea and then after a couple of shows i could see if i could just get by with the helix and powercab or even just the helix at the right venue.

mogar

Reaction score
How about a pair of the DV Mark Neo-Classic cabs? Can handle up to 300w and under 30lbs each.

Voodoo Marshall

Reaction score
Two 2x12s, no fucking question. As many have said, I'd rather carry a 2x12 twice than a 4x12 once. BTW, I have both setups and run 2x12 x 2 (both are V30 equipped). I also have a set up where I run 2x12 w/ my Marshall set at stun and then a 1x12 Tech21 Trademark set to slightly less than stun to keep the pick attack. Can run it stereo but basically just a Y run out of my A/B/Y switcher.

Also, Marshall 1960A 4x12 stereo is split vertically and honestly if you're looking for more than dry/wet and want to really hear stereo Fx, 2 different cabs work better b/c you can set a larger stereo field by cab placement.

sleewell

Reaction score
haha thanks for all the replies guys... I kinda took a random turn and ordered a used line 6 powercab 112 this weekend. should be here on thurs. figured this can hopefully replace the quilter and 2x12 part of my rig. still will have the 6505 and orange 4x12 for the main dirt sounds and i am just hoping the powercab can work for the effects coming from my helix. its small and only 35lbs so it shouldn't be too hard to haul around.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
haha thanks for all the replies guys... I kinda took a random turn and ordered a used line 6 powercab 112 this weekend. should be here on thurs. figured this can hopefully replace the quilter and 2x12 part of my rig. still will have the 6505 and orange 4x12 for the main dirt sounds and i am just hoping the powercab can work for the effects coming from my helix. its small and only 35lbs so it shouldn't be too hard to haul around.

Does that one have the kickback legs?

sleewell

Reaction score
Does that one have the kickback legs?

yessir. 250 watts. i think like 8 speaker sim models. figured it would be a little bit easier to take an XLR from this and mic my orange rather than micing two cabs.

if it sounds awesome enough to ditch my half stack i can get the plus model next which has IR loading and would send them to both speakers.

ExpatZ

Reaction score
my current rig uses 2 amps (6505 and quilter tone block 200), 2 cabs and an aby pedal. I already have one 2x12 so adding another could be an option or getting a stereo 4x12 could also work. I don't really run a stereo rig for the typical reason of wanting the effects to bounce back and forth but rather more of wet dry setup where I just want that straight into the front of amp sound from one side and then the effects from my helix from the other. mainly thinking about this to avoid having to haul a 4x12 and 2x12 which is what I am doing right now.

thoughts? thanks!!!
2 oversized 2x12's will save your back a bit and fit in the car better while sounding big.
If you batten 3 sides and the back inside you can make it sound like a 4x12 cab pretty easily.
Or you can do like I do, use a good sounding oversize 2x12 battened up for dry and pick up a couple of cheap but loud Headrush 112's and a Torpedo CAB/M to handle the L/R with a splitter off the CAB (or in my case a FTT FT-2Y doing splitting duty as well as delays) ahead of the effects chain.
The stereo signal is effects laden I would bet so using a less than awesome cab (like the Headrush's which are actually pretty good - as long as you get them OFF the floor!) won't hurt your tone and will will weigh less and be smaller than a 2x12 with your actual 2x12 doing the heavy lifting.
Of if you say it's just a fill cab then one Headrush will do ya good too, just drop it on the bass players side and lean on your 2x12 for the main tone.
But you HAVE to get it off the floor, they are stellar sounding liitle cheap things as long as you get them up at least a foot.

dspellman

Reaction score
my current rig uses 2 amps (6505 and quilter tone block 200), 2 cabs and an aby pedal. I already have one 2x12 so adding another could be an option or getting a stereo 4x12 could also work. I don't really run a stereo rig for the typical reason of wanting the effects to bounce back and forth but rather more of wet dry setup where I just want that straight into the front of amp sound from one side and then the effects from my helix from the other. mainly thinking about this to avoid having to haul a 4x12 and 2x12 which is what I am doing right now.

thoughts? thanks!!!

1. I ran a pair of stereo 2x12s (as in, each cabinet could be run mono or stereo) for a long time. There are a LOT of options available with this setup. Live, you can run a wider sound field by having the second 2x12 on the other side of the stage (everyone in the band gets to hear you -- oh joy!). At one point we ran a second guitarist through the right side of each cabinet so we could hear BOTH of us anywhere on the stage. At another point I ran my keyboards through one side of each cabinet, and that was a stereo feed (Leslie effects bouncing back and forth, etc.). At that point I ran a pair of 1500W solid state power amps (the speakers were Eminence Delta 12" ProA's and could easily handle the power, the cabinets were sized and ported for down to 52Hz).

2. I currently run a Helix and a stereo power amp into two wide-range cabinets -- a fEARless F112 and an F115. These will handle up to 800W each and are three-way cabinets that will reproduce the low B on a five-string bass accurately. Generally, I don't use them for stereo effects, either (the Helix can be run in stereo out to a pair of mixer inputs live). The cabinets weigh 34 and 43 pounds, respectively (I used to run four 4x12s -- major difference in weight), and I can use either or both, depending. The power amp is 10 lbs. Overall, that's lighter than ONE of my 4x12s alone (I have some 100 pounders).

As you're probably aware, the Helix Floor will run at least two separate rigs internally and could easily feed both the Quilter and the 6505 simultaneously for wet and dry. It would also allow you to do away with the ABY box.

dspellman

Reaction score
I say 4x12. Can’t beat that extra volume in the cab. Two 2x12’s does not sound like a 4x12

I'd disagree with that -- there's really no extra volume in a single 4x12 over a pair of 2x12s stacked. But honestly, I hate 4x12s at this point; they beam anything treble over 400Hz (as do a pair of 2x12s; it's just physics), and I think they're only really good for stage decoration. As it turns out, stacking a pair of 2x12s *vertically* (one tall tower of 4 speakers) gives you a better spread.

And given what I'm using these days (previous post), volume isn't even close to being an issue.

dspellman

Reaction score
20lbs extra is enough night after night. The secret is having a dolley for gear (one I wish I learned much earlier). Getting older not younger generally means find ways to make it easier, not accelerating not being able to do it :2c:. "Work smart, not hard"

I put wheels on anything heavier than a sandwich.

dspellman

Reaction score
From someone who has moved just about everything you can think of- if you really want to stay safe get a lumbar support belt and/or a good hand truck style dolly, and two 2x12s. 1 cab will not be a full potential stereo rig and 70lbs twice IS safer and better than 90lbs once. Awkward to lift often means dangerous to lift. 20lbs really is a lot if your nearing something outside your personal comfort to move.

My old keyboard rig was a Hammond B3 (dollies), a Fender Rhodes 88, a Vox Super Beatle, a pair of modified 250W Leslies. Getting motivated to put that back on the 48-passenger school bus at the end of the night and then pull it back off the bus when we got home took some mental gymnastics. And people wondered why I didn't head out for breakfast until 4 pm the next day.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Despite having half the speakers, most 2x12s are only about 15 or 20 pounds lighter than most 4x12s, which usually have casters and set-in metal hardware.

I'm old with arthritis and worn joints, if I can still haul a 1960B so can y'all. :lol:
Most, sure. A Mesa 2x12 is 61lbs, a Mesa 4x12 is 109. That extra 48 pounds is something you absolutely feel on a narrow staircase. :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most, sure. A Mesa 2x12 is 61lbs, a Mesa 4x12 is 109. That extra 48 pounds is something you absolutely feel on a narrow staircase. :lol:

No one bothers with the actual question. If you read the replies you'd think the OP asked what a light weight Mesa based setup for a stereo effects rig would be. :lol:

sleewell

Reaction score
No one bothers with the actual question. If you read the replies you'd think the OP asked what a light weight Mesa based setup for a stereo effects rig would be. :lol:

oh man my situation was resolved quite a few posts ago lololol. were just at the random bullshitting part of the thread now which is totally fine. it is interesting how threads go in different tangents or how it seems like some posts are just based on the thread title with no other reading done but that is just the nature of the beast some times i guess. just a place for musicians to shoot the shit, which is all good with me.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh I read, and addressed, his original question, which was that going from a 4x12 to a 2x12 would not make his setup significantly more quiet, no matter WHAT some youtube video suggested. :lol:

EDIT - disregard, I was confusing this and another thread. :lol:

Latest posts

')