Stereo or Mono CAB for a tube head

mindwalker

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is somewhat of a n00b question...
I'm looking to get a 2x12 cabinet to have at home and eventually jam + gig. I'm considering getting a tube head to go with it! :hbang:

Most tube heads are mono, so in this sense it's useless to have a stereo cab. However if down the road you ditch your tube head and get an Axe-FX + stereo poweramp or something, then if the cab is stereo you can benefit from it instead of having to run your stereo rig in mono.
Is there any tragic flaw here with my line of thought ? :)

The Harley Benton G212 Vintage is cheap, not very heavy and is stereo/mono switchable. Everyone says it sounds pretty good so it seems to be the best bang for the buck option!

However I feel like I could be a little different a get a different cab.. maybe a more expensive one.. maybe better tone and construction! But some of the cabs I'm looking at are mono only! I'm kinda thinking of future options here.. but I guess for the time being, a stereo cab won't make a difference if I run it with a tube head.
I'm particularly looking at a Dutch amp/cabinet maker Kool and Elfring and their new line of lightweight V30 2x12 cabs = XLs212V30LW

Anyway, whichever cab I get I really want it to be 25 kgs max (55 lbs) with the V30 speakers on!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

raximkoron

Reaction score
Having a stereo cab certainly isn't a bad thing, as most I've seen are perfectly capable of running in mono as well. And having things hooked up in stereo is neat with some effects.

Keep in mind though, most of those benefits won't be shared in a live setting as virtually all venues will mic a single speaker...

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I'm not sure you'd really hear the benefits of a stereo set up into a single cab. The speakers are very close together (so not much stereo spread) and they're all in the same box (so there might be phasing issues).

I use a stereo head and just use a pair of oversized, ported 1x12s. Sounds like it has a bit more thumb/chunk to me than running into a single oversized 2x12 (possibly because of the phasing issues, who knows).

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
If you find a mono cab that you believe to be a better deal, better quality, etc., a jack plate with 2 pre-drilled holes costs $5-$10, and 1/4" mono jacks are under $2 a piece. It would be cheap and easy to modify to a stereo cab if that fits your needs better.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Stereo cabs are only useful if you have a stereo source. A regular tube amp will be able to push two separate speakers, but it will be the same signal. If you have a stereo power amp and some kind of preamp, or a tube amp that allows stereo FX return, then it's going to be useful.

mniel8195

Reaction score
stereo cabs make little to no sense. Having two cabs running off a stereo amp or power amp now thats cool

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
2 heads ran into a stereo can also becomes an option.

mindwalker

Reaction score
thanks guys!! that makes it clearer now! :)
Guess I won't bother too much about a stereo cab!

Latest posts

')