STERLING JP70 Tuning stability

• Thread starter Masquerade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masquerade

Reaction score
I've heard in the past they go out of tune frequently with bends etc. Is this still an issue with these guitars or have they corrected them with newer models?

I'm looking to set it up in drop G, change out the pups.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

A-Branger

Reaction score
if you are going into drop G

wouldnt be better for you to find a longer scale length guitar?

Demiurge

Reaction score
It's hard to say that tuning issues are endemic to certain models per se. There are always things to be mindful of on any guitar, though.

If the guitar has a non-locking, floating bridge and you don't intend on using it, blocking it will mitigate any issues there. One of the bigger culprits in tuning issues is an improperly cut nut (which I guess you could pin on specific runs of a given model) causing strings to bind which can be an easy fix in most cases. As always, too- pre-stretch the strings; people complain about tuning issues right out of the box... when the strings are new from the factory or newly installed by the owner when there's always going to be some settling (admittedly even with some stretching).

Masquerade

Reaction score
The Sterling JP70 has locking tuners and a floating trem. I do intend to use the trem a fair bit.
People have had problems with tremolo use being fine on the guitar but if you bend the strings it goes out of tune.

if you are going into drop G

wouldnt be better for you to find a longer scale length guitar?

This is true, i have had my eyes on a KM 7 but i'm really interested in having a tremolo bridge.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
As someone ho doesn't use the trem it holds tune fine. I don't notice anything with bends so again, not much to worry about unless you get a poorly cut nut or something. Idk, it's good for the money. But the trem is no Music Man bridge.

Masquerade

Reaction score
As someone ho doesn't use the trem it holds tune fine. I don't notice anything with bends so again, not much to worry about unless you get a poorly cut nut or something. Idk, it's good for the money. But the trem is no Music Man bridge.

Has anyone had experience in the past swapping out the trem for a musicman bridge? Or maybe a hipshot?