Sterling JP70's?

• Thread starter ReznoERG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ReznoERG

Tickle my pickle PLZ
Reaction score
Alright guys.

I've had gas for a JPX-7 for a couple of months now but due to me getting into college last minute. I lost the funds I had saving up for one... :noplease:

I've seen a couple of Sterling's here and there. and I can't determine whether or not it would be worth getting one of those. How do they rank up to the more expensive John Petrucci signatures? Is there a huge difference in the feel? How they play? Or even the sound? If I'm looking at getting an EBMM JPX-7 one day, should I just continue saving up for that? Or break down and get a Sterling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Continue saving up, there's nothing wrong with the Sterling JP70's, but if you have your mind set on a JPX7 then don't settle for anything less. The JP70's are in fact great guitars, they're much more similar to the JP7 Standard with the same general design, but with weaker tremolo/tuners/pickups/electronics. I wouldn't mind personally owning one to play on tour if I toured, but that's just because I wouldn't want to take the nicer USA made EBMM Guitars out.

If it's only going to take you a little while longer to get it, then just continue to save up. If it'll be a MUCH longer time, like a year or so because of the financial setback. Then get the JP70 for now, but to answer your question it is a much more inferior guitar in most if not all aspects.

The JPX7 has the better pickups, the best non-locking Tremolo out there, Schaller Locking Tuners, Stainless Steel Frets, Piezo, and personally my favorite point the GORGEOUS Barolo Finish.

donray1527

djack of all trades
Reaction score
I own a Jpxi-7 and have played several JP70's at my local guitar centers. Its about the difference between an epiphone and a gibson really. That being said, i've played some very nice epiphones in my day.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
I own a Jpxi-7 and have played several JP70's at my local guitar centers. Its about the difference between an epiphone and a gibson really. That being said, i've played some very nice epiphones in my day.

Not even close, sorry :)

It's more like the difference between playing a Walmart First Act guitar that's been sitting out for two years, missing strings, dirty, broken, and played by every passerby and knocked around by every kid or playing a custom USA-made PRS Private Stock freshly set up by Paul himself.

HUGE HUGE HUGE difference. Huge.

H.
U.
G.

...wait for it...

E.

Huge.

Haaaaaaavee you met my friend "Huge?"

(sorry, been watching some HIMYM lately lol)

Okay, okay - maybe it's not THAT big of a difference....

Nope. Psych. HUGE HUGE HGEJHEFSIUHFSKJhkjh

EDIT: Though I will admit there's a noticable difference between Epies and Gibbies...

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I wonder how its possible; the 3 real EBMM JP's Ive played, including a JPXI, JP6 BFR and JP7, all were similar compared to my Sterling JP100D.. Different neck profile, but not a "bad" neck profile. And these were all pre-2012 JP's so no stainless steel frets, therefor they all feel pretty much the same to me. Rosewood and nickel frets can only go so far for me.

I would say if you were looking at older JP's without SS frets, The Sterling is the better value guitar (very minimal difference) but if you are going to get a real EBMM with Stainless steel frets, that makes the difference worth the cost. But if that doesnt bother you, the Sterling is very good.

(unless the JP70 apparently is just not built as good as my JP100D?)

Khaerruhl

Reaction score
Get the EBMM. You said it yourself, that was what you were saving up for. Why settle for anything less?

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Alright guys.

I've had gas for a JPX-7 for a couple of months now but due to me getting into college last minute. I lost the funds I had saving up for one... :noplease:

I've seen a couple of Sterling's here and there. and I can't determine whether or not it would be worth getting one of those. How do they rank up to the more expensive John Petrucci signatures? Is there a huge difference in the feel? How they play? Or even the sound? If I'm looking at getting an EBMM JPX-7 one day, should I just continue saving up for that? Or break down and get a Sterling?

Congrats on being admitted to your university! College is worth so much more than a JPX-7 for so many reasons and most of them have nothing to do with academics! Having said that, I have a JPX-7 which I bought after I graduated. It's a night and day difference between an EBMM JPX7 and a SBMM JP7. Thats more of a compliment to the JPX7 than anything else because it far exceeded my expectations. Having said that, it might not be a bad idea to buy one of the SBMM JP7 Stealth models that are still floating around Guitar Centers across the country. I think they are better than the standard SBMM JP7's and they happen to be cheaper too. If I were in your position, I would go that route. It won't be a JPX7, but to some degree, you won't really care! :yesway:

I think the quality control at MusicMan is much better than at Gibson. I agree with you, I've played some fantastic Epiphones but they happen to be sitting amongst a hoard of "not fantastic" Epiphones.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All the JP70s, four of them now, that I've played have felt like toys in comparison to my "original" JP7. The pickups, bridge, nut, fretwork, fit & finish were all inferior on the JP70s.

Don't get me wrong, for the price, the JP70 isn't bad at all, could use some tweaking and mods out of the box, but what doesn't at that price point? :lol:

If you want a quality instrument truly worth holding on to, save up for the EBMM. You can grab brand new, fully loaded JP7s for under $2k.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
By the way, your making the right choice with the JPX7; its the best one and I'm basing this completely off my subjective opinion. :cool:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
By the way, your making the right choice with the JPX7; its the best one and I'm basing this completely off my subjective opinion. :cool:

Not going to lie, the JPX models that I have played have had the best Cleans and Lead Tones out of the lot. Very subtle difference, but that chambering makes the JPX stand out, the JP12 is the perfect hybrid IMO. Has the best of the leads from the JPX and the Tightness you'd expect from the JPXI.

DarthV

Reaction score
What kind of time frame are you talking about? Can you afford to pick up a $550 stealth JP70 now and then buy a EBMM JP7 after you've graduated & secured a job? If you're talking years down the road, I'd spring for the JP70 now and then worry about a real JP7 down the road. The JP70 is a great value guitar.

Just A Box

Reaction score
It all depends on your point of view. Some guys (who can afford to buy, or who refuse to buy a cheaper guitar and wait until they have the funds) feel that the gap between the Epiphone/Gibson, IBZ Prestige/Ibanez Indonesia, EBMM/SBMM and, in general, the USA/Japan versus Imported lines is huge. They simply won't settle for something they feel is "lesser" in comparison to the premium models.

Others find alot of value in the mid priced lines that, with a few upgrades, can play very well and provide equal to near-equal tone in comparison to similar guitars that cost three to six times as much.

I find myself mostly in the former camp. I have an Ibanez Jem and a USA Parker. The Jem being the nicest overall guitar I own and the Parker being the easiest playing guitar I have ever played (or, I'm confident, ever will play). I also own and RG350, and S7420, an S470, and a Squier Strat.

Due to my ability to do a proper setup on a guitar, as well as electronic upgrades, I'd argue that my S series guitars play well and sound far better that their stock Premium or prestige counterparts. My 6 string S with DiMarzio Breeds, sounds as good as my Jem with the same pickups. A little different? Yes. Does it feel like the Jem in terms of feel and playability, not totally, but it's not something that requires "getting over" the difference.

For your choice, I'll say that if you hold out and get the best, you won't be disappointed. And if, unlike me, you can rely on one or two guitars for every need, then you should get the best you can afford and you could have a guitar that you keep forever. But, with most mid-priced lines, you can get 80% of the way there with a little work and have alot of money left in your wallet. I'll say that the neck on the JP70 I tried felt, to me, better than my S7420 which costs $150 more. The JP70 had better balance and was lighter, and I can't wait until mine arrives tomorrow.

ReznoERG

Tickle my pickle PLZ
Reaction score
It all depends on your point of view. Some guys (who can afford to buy, or who refuse to buy a cheaper guitar and wait until they have the funds) feel that the gap between the Epiphone/Gibson, IBZ Prestige/Ibanez Indonesia, EBMM/SBMM and, in general, the USA/Japan versus Imported lines is huge. They simply won't settle for something they feel is "lesser" in comparison to the premium models.

That's the thing ^

I've never played/owned a MIJ or MIA guitar before. And the only MIA I've played was my buddies 4000 dollar US made Gibson LesPaul custom. Didn't like it.

I really REALLY wanna get a true MIJ Prestige. I have also had my eyes on a RG1527 of some sort for a while. But again. I've never played a MIJ Ibanez. Both Ibby's I own/have ever played are Indonesia made.

I played a EBMM JP6 Piezo at my local music store (Long And McQuade (I Live in Canada, no GC :( )) and I loved how easy it was to play. Especially chords and some lead style things.

If anything, I'm going to fully save up for the EBMM JPX-7. Thanks for the advise. Even though it'll be a couple months to a year or more. I know I'll be way more happier in the end. Especially if the JPX-7 feels anything like or even better than the JP6 I played.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I don't think playing MiA and MiJ Guitars makes you see other instruments in a lesser light, before I gained all of my Prestiges my two Premium Ibanez Guitars were my favorite and go to instruments to just pick up and play, and that's with both my MiA Musicmans sitting right next to them. Seriously miss those guitars.

But I'm definitely more appreciative of the higher quality and how much time gets put into the instruments. That makes the higher end guitars much easier to setup and enjoy without having to get frustrated and constantly get them playing right.

MiJ Ibanez Guitars are very addicting, and at the rate/price they go for used it's amazing what kind of deals you can encounter. But the Indo Premiums honestly match up, and are incredibly close in terms of playability and value, never had an issue with either of mine. Aside from that, the occasional KICKASS Epiphone seems to land in my local GC and it always keeps me playing a nice LP and Explorer whenever they do.

Good move man, you'll be happier you did!

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
That's the thing ^

I've never played/owned a MIJ or MIA guitar before. And the only MIA I've played was my buddies 4000 dollar US made Gibson LesPaul custom. Didn't like it.

I really REALLY wanna get a true MIJ Prestige. I have also had my eyes on a RG1527 of some sort for a while. But again. I've never played a MIJ Ibanez. Both Ibby's I own/have ever played are Indonesia made.

I played a EBMM JP6 Piezo at my local music store (Long And McQuade (I Live in Canada, no GC :( )) and I loved how easy it was to play. Especially chords and some lead style things.

If anything, I'm going to fully save up for the EBMM JPX-7. Thanks for the advise. Even though it'll be a couple months to a year or more. I know I'll be way more happier in the end. Especially if the JPX-7 feels anything like or even better than the JP6 I played.

Just curious, did you play a white JP6 at the L&M in Vaughan/North York?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think playing MiA and MiJ Guitars makes you see other instruments in a lesser light

:agreed:

I still have a handful of import guitars (Chine, South Korea, Indonesia, etc.) and as Box said, with a little work they can be just as fun to play as my nicer, pricier stuff.

If the JP70 has been around when I was shopping for a JP, I might have considered it, but having played both, I can't stress how different they are in feel. Even if the fretwork was identical, if you closed your eyes and played both, you'd think they were vastly more different than the branding and aesthetics make them seem. The neck shapes are different, the feel and movement of the bridge is different, the feel of the controls is different, how they balance on a strap is different.

I REALLY wanted to dig the Sterling JP models, as grabbing a facsimile of one of my favorite guitars to mod and mess with is a great concept, but they just didn't match up.

I'm not at all gun shy about working and modifying guitars, I did it professionally for many years, it's just no mods in the world will make a JP70 a JP7, short of replacing/reshaping half the instruments.

If you're willing to compromise aesthetically, you can grab unloaded JP7s for ~$1200 new on Amazon from time to time.

lobotom

Reaction score
I own one JP70 and also own a EBMM JP7 and a JPX7. For the price is not bad at all. The Sterling's QC is pretty good. My JP70 was great right out of the box. The pickups are pretty good compared to other entry level guitars. But that's easily fix if you're not happy. The neck feels a little different than the EBMMs, but it's very comfortable. The tremolo and locking tuners work great as long as you don't go Steve Vai on it but that would be the same with the EBMMs. It's a great bang for the buck and it'll definitely get you ready for the upgrade later on.

Alex

ReznoERG

Tickle my pickle PLZ
Reaction score
Just curious, did you play a white JP6 at the L&M in Vaughan/North York?

No. It was a Mystic Blue one in Brampton L and M. (I think the colour is called that.)

But the Indo Premiums honestly match up, and are incredibly close in terms of playability and value, never had an issue with either of mine

I am INCREDIBLY happy with my RG927QM. Indonesian made or not, that thing kicks ass. And it's because of that I believe I'd love a MiJ Prestige.

I REALLY wanted to dig the Sterling JP models, as grabbing a facsimile of one of my favorite guitars to mod and mess with is a great concept, but they just didn't match up.

Huge answer to what I wanted to know. I'm fairly alright with doing my own mods. and I know that I would of had too. But knowing that it'll still never match up to the JPX-7 was pretty much the deciding factor for me.

')