Sterling (Music Man) SUB series guitar/basses are now up on the website

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
How can it get cheaper then a Sterling or an OLP? Easily!

The Sterling SUB Series!

SUB Guitars | Sterling By Music Man | Official WebsiteSterling By Music Man | Official Website
SUB Basses | Sterling By Music Man | Official WebsiteSterling By Music Man | Official Website

In my opinion,
The good: Music Man shapes for beginners and cheap people like me!
The bad: No JP, 7 strings, or Bongo bass.

Oh well, the SILO is pretty close to the JP, and I prefer it to standard Fender Strats. :D

EDIT: According to the Sterling EBMM FB, they're going to be priced between $199 - $299.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jet9

Petrucci Wannabe
Reaction score
I saw SUB and thought they were offering baritones, now I'm disappointed.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
"Solid hardwood bodies"

Not-Sure-If-Want.jpg

What could that be? Always makes me a leeetle bit suspicious when I see that... they should at least be specific about which woods they're using.

Tristoner7

Reaction score
"the Hardwood solid body is made of Jabon. It's a local Indonesian hardwood used by many top brands. It's light in weight and is very similar to Basswood in tone and weight. " - From the MusicMan forurms.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Talk about a let down, I thought they were bringing back the S.U.B. series, which were a line of affordable (or I should say more affordable, as EBMM stuff is pretty darn cheap considering the quality) USA built basses and guitars. They used less-pretty pieces of wood, satin-urethane finishes, and had very limited options, but the fretwork and tone on them was pretty nice, they got you about 85% of the way to the regular USA stuff.

I guess everyone is hitting the entry level market now. :shrug:

Tristoner7

Reaction score
With the economy being the way it is, I have a feeling we will see more lines like this from other guitar manufacturers. Still seems like they are going to be a better guitar than the OLPs were.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
With the economy being the way it is, I have a feeling we will see more lines like this from other guitar manufacturers. Still seems like they are going to be a better guitar than the OLPs were.

While the OLPs have received some flak, the good ones weren't too bad. Nothing I've tried of the Sterling line so far has wow'd me and made me think they were a significant step up from the OLPs.

They look prettier, but that's about it.

I don't think its an economy issue either. I think more brands who are getting bigger are starting to realize why Gibson and Fender introduced entry level stuff early on. The earlier you can get your brand into the hands of a beginner, the more likely they are to have an attachment to that brand. Both Gibson and Fender were criticized heavily when they introduced this kind of stuff, but look how it has paid off.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, so when are they bringing back the MM5?

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
You know, I have a colleague wanting to start playing guitar, her budget is 200€, which is a very small sum in the guitar world but a very big sum for an entertainment budget. Finding something beginner level but not shitty (at that point, I just want decent tuners and a neck that won't move every two days, really) for a consumer price point is pretty difficult. Squiers and Epiphones can be quite good for that budget, much less so the other brands, and I'd wager that budget is actually making up for a BIG chunk of the market.
Side note: calling a sub brand SUB is genius. The EVH ones are tempting.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Talk about a let down, I thought they were bringing back the S.U.B. series, which were a line of affordable (or I should say more affordable, as EBMM stuff is pretty darn cheap considering the quality) USA built basses and guitars. They used less-pretty pieces of wood, satin-urethane finishes, and had very limited options, but the fretwork and tone on them was pretty nice, they got you about 85% of the way to the regular USA stuff.

I guess everyone is hitting the entry level market now. :shrug:

Yeah, I need to snag a sub1 at some point! they are pretty solid guitars man!

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Not crazy about no 7s or that it's S-S-H only. :noway:

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
At least they're up front about having photo tops, haha.

keithhagel

Reaction score
Man, I've been wanting to try out a 5 string bass lately and that seems just perfect. Also been thinking about trying a Sterling JP model, but I might try these out just to see what they feel like. I'll definitely be trying this stuff out.

rew

Reaction score
I kinda like them and kind of don't, I am a proud owner of a MM stingray that I bought new in 2001, what a great bass!

What's interesting to me is how they don't even have ernie ball strings, at least the basses. they have red silk at both ends! I once bought some mystery "Austin city strings" at a local shop for my bass and they had red silk at both ends of the string, with a silver ball (rotosounds have the red wrap but a copper/brass color ball). Turns out they're made in korea, pretty crappy worthless strings. I can't find Austin city products anywhere now, I suspect the company went nameless and produces cheap strings for cheap instruments now, like for these. Just thought I'd share.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Not built in USA so not SUB at all, just recycling the name.

Lame.

')