Steve Bannon

• Thread starter Bentaycanada
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well the idea of populism that Bannon espouses is interesting. By no means does it have me on board, but it is none the less interesting. It’s also a far lot better than the sum of zero offered by his opposition.

In Bannon’s case it creates debate, which is good. Debate is healthy. Simply writing off people as “racist” or “garbage” has no value.
No it doesn't. Engaging with and debating racism, as anything other than something that needs to be stamped out and eradicated, legitimizes it. Bannon doesn't deserve to have a platform, because racism should not be tolerated, rather than legitimized and promoted.

The next election will be hilarious because it appears the only good arguement is “he’s a Racist, sexist, blah blah blah”. It didn’t work in 2016, and it won’t work now. Unless the left wises up, and gets prepared, Trump will win again in 2020, and if you don’t like Bannon now, you’ll really hate him by 2024.
Oh, idunno... 2018 sort of suggests that whatever arguments the Democrats have been making are working. They won the House in a landslide, outpacing expectations, and in an electoral map where they should have absolutely hemorrhaged Senate seats, they managed to stem their losses at two. They also won a majority of Governor's seats that were in play and reduced their statewide deficit from 16-34 to 23-27. They put up some pretty strong results this year, and if Trump and the GOP aren't currently shaking in their boots over what they see, well, that's just fine by me.

Last edited:

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
So far I haven’t seen any evidence that Bannon is a racist. No matter how many times its repeat it. Populism is also not racist. If so, please show me how?

He doesn’t have my support, and neither does Trump. But it’s clear that even saying anything remotely non-critical of either of them is seen as heresey.

Cortez just didn’t do much that was interesting for me, and maybe that will change. O’Rourke was much more interesting, but ultimately lost. Though I’m sure he’ll pop up in 2020, which again could be very interesting.

I’ll definitely give Cortez more time, and if there’s any others worth looking at then I’ll happily do that.

Also I haven’t chosen a politician before policy. Whatever that’s supposed to mean. If stepping outside my comfort zone and looking at opinions and ideas that don’t fit my own makes me wrong. Then cool, I’m wrong and couldn’t be happier!

I hope that people like Bannon do keep speaking. I hope that the Dems do have a decent candidate or two in 2020. I hope that Trump isn’t re-elected in 2020. But until then the individuals that are willing to have actual discussion and debate, instead of buzzwords, slander and name calling are worth listening to. Even if I don’t agree with them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So far I haven’t seen any evidence that Bannon is a racist. No matter how many times its repeat it. Populism is also not racist. If so, please show me how?
Must have missed this the last time I posted this.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/04/28/breitbartcom-becoming-media-arm-alt-right

Bannon was, as I'm sure you're aware, a founding member of Britbart and took over as executive chair in 2012 after Andrew Breitbart's death. That change corresponded with a increasingly open embrace of the alt right.

There's also the fact Bannon straight-up stated that Bretbart was the platform of the alt-right. :lol:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But it’s clear that even saying anything remotely non-critical of either of them is seen as heresey.

You are 1000x wrong about that. You started getting negative reactions because you made 'Steve Bannon makes good points, Democrats make NO points' your jumping off point.

Donald Trump, for better or worse, busted up a lot of 'unspoken' pageant-like norms that came with the office that were unnecessary and self congratulatory. I don't like Trump's style of negotiation and I don't think his end results have been especially positively effective but we WERE on the losing side of a lot of trade deals and the only person that was going to blow them up was a non-politician and he was the only who seemed either willing or stupid enough to do it.

Steve Bannon's an especially interesting guy and a very charismatic speaker. He's a great person to study when it comes to how to construct a convincing narrative, because he does a an especially good job of balancing easy to understand speech and concepts, throwing in enough big words but then breaking it up with some humor and a dose of profanity to make himself sound genuine and relatable. Kudos to him for that, and an effective pitchman can sell ice to eskimos but that doesn't somehow make it any wiser of a purchase.

Great article and observation about Bannon's style and it's effectiveness

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...frum-munk-debate-what-really-happened/574867/

Anyway, see that? I said some not-entirely-critical things about Trump and Steve Bannon and I didn't turn into a pillar of salt. The only reason you're meeting as much resistance as you are is because of the way you frame your argument, but you sprinkle in 'I'm not necessarily a fan of either of them' that's supposed to somehow absolve the other 800 characters in your post.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
...I don't like Trump's style of negotiation...
I wouldn't call demanding doing what he wants or shutting down the government negotiating, but that's just my :2c:

But i agree with everything else you have stated.

Latest posts