Steve Vai's Locking Nut Mod

• Thread starter MetalMike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Whatever.

I tried a set of D'Addarios once and was not impressed at all by their tone or longevity.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've got them on a couple of guitars at the moment, and am perfectly happy with them, but to be perfectly honest, I don't hear/feel/see a significant amount of difference between the major string brands apart from Elixirs, which I can't afford to have on all my axes (I use them on my acoustic though).

jtm45

Reaction score
Do they do those Elixirs in 7-string sets and does anyone sell them in the UK?

I've fancied giving them a try for some time.:agreed:

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there any tutorial on how to do this online? Why pay someone to do the mod? It can't be that intense, can it?

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
You can do it to a Floyd nut, or do they actually have a special locking nut the replace it with? I was under the impression they moved it or tilted it a certain way or something.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
bostjan said:
Well, you'll need the nut, for one.
not really, you can feitenize a guitar without a shelf nut, thats how you tend to do it when you're building a guitar, include the measurements into the fretboard when you make it. but then, you have to put a buzz feiten sticker on the back of the headstock, thats part of the licensing thing, you either buy a shelf nut, or a sticker. and then you just set it up like any other feitenized guitar, i've got a manual on how to do it, but the manual refers to "confidential" formulas, which i don't have. the actual system is pretty simple, its just the formulas... and then you get into actual playing, formulas can only work so well, the guy may push harder than you do or something, its not a flawless system by any means.

basically all the shelf nut does, or relocating the nut, is compensate for the first 3 frets, because the first fret is 3 cents off, second is 2 cents off, and 3rd is 1 cent off, according to buzz. the rest of the system is at the bridge... i may go back and do the buzz feiten course sometime next year, the school said previous students can come back and take it for only 500 instead of 1000, and the course offered at the school is the level 2 course, meaning we are certified to install in acoustics and electrics, not just electrics, most people are only level 1 certified...

MetalMike

IKILLUWITHMYBALDHEAD
Contributor
Reaction score
If 95% of you class couldn't hear the difference and you have to get a big ol buzz feiten sticker on the back of the headstock with the price you pay for the mod it's completely not worth it IMO.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Buzz Feiten is a well-temperament. There are other free public domain well-temperaments that sound better, but are harder to implement, such as Wreckmeister III.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
metalmike23 said:
If 95% of you class couldn't hear the difference and you have to get a big ol buzz feiten sticker on the back of the headstock with the price you pay for the mod it's completely not worth it IMO.
thats how i feel about it too, i only want to get certified for it for the amount of business it can bring, because if someone is looking to feitenize a guitar, the company will refer them to people in their area who are certified, and since i'd be certified acoustics, itd be an even better deal.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The exact specifications of the Feiten mods and tuning offsets were outlined in the patent application, which is available somewhere online.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
bostjan said:
Buzz Feiten is a well-temperament. There are other free public domain well-temperaments that sound better, but are harder to implement, such as Wreckmeister III.

I can't find anything on Google about this. Is it Werckmeister III? I found some stuff on temperment after searching that, but nothing in relation to modding a guitar.

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
darren said:
Whatever.

I tried a set of D'Addarios once and was not impressed at all by their tone or longevity.

I've used d'addarios for years - cant beat them! For some reason I couldn't get on with any of the other brands I've tried!

')