Stiff Amp/Tone Controls.

• Thread starter Leuchty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Hey all,

My Dual Recs amp controls are hard to turn precisely. Not all of them, however. All the GAIN controls are hard/stiff to turn the BASS and PRESENCE on the 3rd channel and some others on the other channel in no specific pattern. The SOLO and OUTPUT controls are extremely smooth to turn.

I did a quick search with no info.

I don't believe ALL MESA's are like this. So I was wondering if anyone else encountered a problem like this. Could the pots be fucked?

I checked to make sure they weren't rubbing on the amp face, too. Will contact cleaner fix them/help? or am I looking at a repair job?

The DR is about 6 years old.

Please help...as if Rectifiers aren't hard enough to dial in...:rolleyes:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm guessing dirty pots, but don't take my word for it.

cow 7 sig

AU director / RHLC ©
Reaction score
my DR is 12 years old and there sensitive as fuck. CRC CONTACT CLEANER is your friend.get right into the gaps on all the pots and turn back and forth a few times .

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
my DR is 12 years old and there sensitive as fuck. CRC CONTACT CLEANER is your friend.get right into the gaps on all the pots and turn back and forth a few times .

Ok, I sprayed them and it helped a little. Not as much as I hoped. I think I might Email MESA.

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this?

phantasm

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a Marshall Valvestate 8200 head. The knobs would stick completely on some of the pots if I didn't use it for a few weeks. Out of the 6 or so amps I've owned, this is the only amp that does it. As recommended above the contact cleaner works. Good Luck.

cow 7 sig

AU director / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Ok, I sprayed them and it helped a little. Not as much as I hoped. I think I might Email MESA.

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this?

im at a loss dan.never known a mesa to have tight pots on it?
see what the dudes have to say,will be interesting.

')