Still go wrong with impulses

• Thread starter Soulthief
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
I still stumble upon problems when using impulses.
It might be the signalchain of something I don't know, but i'm sure someone can help me out with this.

My signal chain is guitar--> line6 UX2--> phones out-->line-in on my sound card.
sure that there lies a problem already.. but let me continu.
my UX2 is completly empty, pod farm is running but nothing in the signal chain.
Then in cubase 5 I take the stereo in track in load in a Poulin amp and the impulse thingy. See includes picture. When I heard a sample on youtube it was like "wooow that sounds badass!" but when i do this, it sounds like complete shit (just like the Ibby LoZ pups.. also something to cry about)

So.. can somebody tell me what i'm doing wrong and how to do it right? please?
GroteFoto-7IOWWBQU.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Oxidation_Shed

Nightman.
Reaction score
Why are you going through the phones output and into your soundcard? Could you not just use the UX2 as an input?
On Kefir, have you made sure the dry signal is nothing and the wet IR signal is up fully?
I'd recommend Gating before your amp as well - as an unrelated note.

fleshwoodsteel

Reaction score
So, it sounds like you're using the UX2 as the way to get your dry guitar signal into the computer so that you can use the Poulin VST amp and cab impulse loader.

First, and I swear I'm not being sarcastic with this, read the quick start guide for the UX2. Here is the link to the Dutch version: http://l6c.scdn.line6.net/data/l/0a...POD Farm Basic User Guide (Rev I) - Dutch.pdf

Your UX2 should be acting as the "sound card" in this particular application and you should only need to connect the USB cable to the computer to get your signal in, not going out from the headphone out into your sound card. The POD Farm plugin (in your DAW) then manages your signal from the UX2. If you don't want to use the POD amps or cabs, and want to use the LePou stuff, simply bypass the POD Farm amps and cabs so you have just the dry signal, then add the LePou amp and cab impulse loader. You can also use the amp from the POD plugin, bypass the cab, and still use the impulse loader (I use LeCab2) to experiment with different cab impulse combinations.

I know that is a little lengthy, and if there is something I didn't explain well, let me know. Hope this helped.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
Ok so i now use my UX2 as my soundcard and now is start to sounds much better! Guess from here its playing around till i have a sound i like.
BUT!!
Problem i'm having now is a latency of 13.084 ms which is just enough to annoy me!
I already use the asio4all v2 driver.. but then again i'm using windows 7. When i'm using the phones output to the line in i have basiclly no latency.
Any ideas for that?

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Ok so i now use my UX2 as my soundcard and now is start to sounds much better! Guess from here its playing around till i have a sound i like.
BUT!!
Problem i'm having now is a latency of 13.084 ms which is just enough to annoy me!
I already use the asio4all v2 driver.. but then again i'm using windows 7. When i'm using the phones output to the line in i have basiclly no latency.
Any ideas for that?

You should be able to change your buffer settings so that that latency is less.

wjm123

Reaction score
If it can't be improved any further (latency), monitor your guitar sound from your UX2 when you track (but record the dry track) and just use Poulin + impulse for tweaking after you've recorded.

Zorkuus

Reaction score
BUT!!
Any ideas for that?
You should download drivers for your UX2 and use those. I don't think you can reduce latency for an external soundcard without having specific drivers for it.

asio4all is meant to use for those who don't have a soundcard (apart from the crappy built-ins on motherboards).

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
Tried a couplet of things but i really can't get it lower.
Now i put my headphones in the output of my UX2 so i can hear the dry signal en play along with the click track and after that i can listen back how it sounds.

maybe i should use someting completly diffrent? maybe something like guitar rig or so?
then again, I might just buy a good soundcard with guitar inputs so i don't need to use an external sound card. Does that make any sense??

Anyway's.... this is what i got for a tone atm: guitar tone tryout by Soulthief on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

fleshwoodsteel

Reaction score
That doesn't sound half bad at all. The primary reason you would use the UX2 in the first place is to take advantage of the integration with the POD Farm plugin. If you don't like the POD tones and just want to use other plugins (such as LePou), there are many ways to pull that off cheaply.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
I like LePou so far.. and thats basiclly the only one i know.. I never got ampitube to work smooth.. but what i heard was not for my liking.

What are other plugins to check out?

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
You can reduce the latency in Gearbox, the UX2 application, under Help > advanced options OR Midi options from the start bar. There is a screen that gives you the bit rate and latency options. Lower latency demands more CPU time so you may find your playback skips more frequently.

Go have a look at PC tuning optimising setup sites, defrag, buy a fast hard drive all that stuff. Update all your drivers.

Best thing to do with the UX2 is get a DI box, as you'll need one eventually when you get a better soundcard, and use the XLR inputs, recording a Line 6 tone and a clean DI. The XLR inputs sound much better than the jack on the UX2.

I tend to use the Line 6 tones to monitor as I play/record then use the DI's of that recording to improve with the plugins that have been mentioned.

One thing I would say is don't get too used to the POD sounds. Make sure you continue to practice with your amp. I've used presets with so much delay and reverb for so long playing dry is such a disappointment for me.

')