Still undecided in my search(now considering the Ibanez RGD7421)

neurosis

Reaction score
I posted this thread in the morning but I either left my browser open again and dropped off the site or it just got deleted. Since I cannot find my own threat I am posting it again :D Feel free to delete it if it's repeated mods.

So. I found out about the Ibanez RGD7421 today. I used the search feature here but so far the only thing I know about this guitar is that it seems to be a 2127 without a trem and without the Prestige neck.

I have been thinking of getting back to the sevenstring for a while now and already asked you guys for some advice. This model, with a good pick up upgrade could be enough for me. The only thing I can't seem to find anywhere is if it is Made in Japan or one of the newer Indonesian models.

If so would you keep considering getting a used RG1527 or a RG7620? Or would you consider this one?

I may have also found a nice deal on a RG7620 but I am unsure what I should really pay for it since the Ibbies I have seen lately on the second hand market ran for pretty low amount of cash. I am thinking of offering 450 euros or just saving up a bit more for the RGD, provided it is Japanese. If it's not I'll have to wait and sell come stuff before going back to the 7 strings.

Here is the video of the RGD7421

I am also unsure if the RG7620 they are offering me really is a 7620. From what the owner says (which is very little info) it most likely s and it looks in good shape but I fear that it could be a mixed neck and body or something like that since it's in a very good shape. Maybe one of you guys can help me further if I email pictures. Don't want to share what isn't mine massively on a public site. It's also not a forumite, but a private seller here in Spain.

Anyway. That's all. Just wanted to know if any of you have tested the 7421 and can vouvhe for its quality versus the other models and clarify where it was constructed.

Thanks a lot!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Go with the RG7620 if you can. Your lucky to have an uppertunity to buy one.
I was in search of a 7421/7620/7621 for a month.. And they did NOT go for low prices. They always disappeared before I got the chance to hit it.

I'd really consider the deal.

(dont misunderstand me: Im not saying the RGD is bad.. I havent played one yet)

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
I played one at a local shop a while back, and to be honest, I thought it was ok at best. It really is better to look at it not as a 2127 without the wizard neck, and trem, but as a RG7321 with an extended scale (it is MII after all).

If I were you, go with a used MIJ ibby, you're going to get a hell of a lot more for your money.

neurosis

Reaction score
Go with the RG7620 if you can. Your lucky to have an uppertunity to buy one.
I was in search of a 7421/7620/7621 for a month.. And they did NOT go for low prices. They always disappeared before I got the chance to hit it.

I'd really consider the deal.

(dont misunderstand me: Im not saying the RGD is bad.. I havent played one yet)

Well. He isn't really sure what model it is but from what I have seen:

2000'ish made in japan (he says he got it in 2003)
grey nickel finish
22 jumbos
rosewood
edge

It has to be a 7620. Only ding it has is a little scratch on the backplate.

I sold my Blackout equipped RG1527 with the Edge Pro for 575euros cash, so I was thinking of offering him no more than 450 and see what he thinks.

But there is still my fear of him selling me an easteregg since I don't buy him not knowing what model it is.

What do you guys think I should pay as a limit for a RG7620 or RG7640? I think it really may be a 7620, since I haven't seen 40s in that finish.

neurosis

Reaction score
I played one at a local shop a while back, and to be honest, I thought it was ok at best. It really is better to look at it not as a 2127 without the wizard neck, and trem, but as a RG7321 with an extended scale (it is MII after all).

If I were you, go with a used MIJ ibby, you're going to get a hell of a lot more for your money.

So It is made in Indonesia? If so I am reluctant to pay that money.

powerofze

Murse
Reaction score
Well. He isn't really sure what model it is but from what I have seen:

2000'ish made in japan (he says he got it in 2003)
grey nickel finish
22 jumbos
rosewood
edge

It has to be a 7620. Only ding it has is a little scratch on the backplate.

I sold my Blackout equipped RG1527 with the Edge Pro for 575euros cash, so I was thinking of offering him no more than 450 and see what he thinks.

But there is still my fear of him selling me an easteregg since I don't buy him not knowing what model it is.

What do you guys think I should pay as a limit for a RG7620 or RG7640? I think it really may be a 7620, since I haven't seen 40s in that finish.
22 jumbos? did you mean 24?

Estilo

Reaction score
I've been intrigued by the RGD7421 since I saw it in the catalogue, though the "7421" model number is a tad misleading as it's MII. Nonetheless it's hard not to let its looks and scale intrigue you in the least bit. If it's a 7321 with an extra inch of scale length though, why would Ibanez make two of the identical models (they already have the RGD7321)?

neurosis

Reaction score
I've been intrigued by the RGD7421 since I saw it in the catalogue, though the "7421" model number is a tad misleading as it's MII. Nonetheless it's hard not to let its looks and scale intrigue you in the least bit. If it's a 7321 with an extra inch of scale length though, why would Ibanez make two of the identical models (they already have the RGD7321)?

With brands like Jackson and Ibanez, but specially Ibanez I have serious problems to keep track of the models. SOemtimes I will think of one model to refer to another one and confuse all the info on the way. They really like to juggle around with their catalogue names.

From what I see they do this becasue they open different models to different markets. What the actual marketing behind this is supposed to be is somethinbg I cannot touch with my mind. I don't understand the new Indonesian made philosophy and some of the new prices are boosted right away. Also, the resale value of them apparently has gone down here in Spain, were you can get amazing RGs for really cheap while newer models that are virtually the same specs but with a different logo will cost you more.

It's a weird way.

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
They don't have a RGD7321 anymore, the only non-prestige RGD's and the RGD7421, RGD421, and RGD420 :agreed:

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
The 7421 has a few updated features; the inlays are now small dots instead of the fins, the cutaway on the lower horn is deeper matching the prestige model and the electronics now match the prestige too. :yesway:

Domkid118

Knives and Wolves
Reaction score
I use to own a RG7620 it was sick, OMO i preferred it to my SC607.
For the money they are well worth it just upgrade the pups

neurosis

Reaction score
I called the guy today. HE sold it. Didn't have time to get it :( Anyway. I might sell some gear and buy a RGD2127, which is the greater thing... hope I don't miss this as well... ahahah.

neurosis

Reaction score
right! I would fall all over it. But I am dead set on the RDG2127 now. Tried one today. I don't know if i'll contain myself. I am even thinking of selling my horizon. Damn you GAS!

')