Stock Ibanez S7420 pickups vs Dimarzio PAF7?

• Thread starter jforsythe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
I actually like the sound of my stock pickups, but would like slighly more output. I only use this guitar for recording purposes and I don't need it to sound brutal. Do the PAF7's have more or less output than the stock S7420's? How do they compare in the tonal spectrum? Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
PAFs might be a little more output than the stockies - but its kinda hard to judge as PAFs are really low output pickups. Paf7s can sound really sweet and tight if you record them with a high gain amp. Korn used them to great success (doesn't imply that they only dish out korn like tones ). Hope that helps.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
When I had my S 7420, I liked the stock pickups. I kept 'em in. I had the guitar for about 5 years and thought about replacing them but just never did. :shrug:

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
not sure which stock came in the 7420 but most ibby stock pups are medium high output. Probably more juice than the paf

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
The distorted rhythm sounds are tight and clear, but the cleans are where I find it lacking; very flat (eq-wise) and lacking in bass. My old UV777 with EVO7 (bridge) and Blaze neck was great for cleans, but I don't know how those pickups would mix with the different body wood. The EVO7 had a little too much output for my taste, but I would just roll down the volume know a little and it'd be perfect.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
The distorted rhythm sounds are tight and clear, but the cleans are where I find it lacking; very flat (eq-wise) and lacking in bass. My old UV777 with EVO7 (bridge) and Blaze neck was great for cleans, but I don't know how those pickups would mix with the different body wood. The EVO7 had a little too much output for my taste, but I would just roll down the volume know a little and it'd be perfect.

the EVO7 and both Blazes work out great in mahogany too. either the EVO7/ Blaze neck or Blaze bridge and neck combo will get the job done for you.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
the EVO7 and both Blazes work out great in mahogany too. either the EVO7/ Blaze neck or Blaze bridge and neck combo will get the job done for you.

:agreed: evo 7 in mahogany is kind of like neato-incarnate

Reaction score
yep lookin' to put the blaze II pups from my Rg7420 in an S7420 when i find one....

will destroy anything in that mahogany

')