STOKED on my new pickup purchase! (tl;dr, juicy info inside)

• Thread starter BZM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BZM

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I don't work for TVT, they don't pay me to use their shit, etc. etc... I'm just a normal reggae guitarist who is now pretty elated. Finally, I am relieved of GAS! ...for now

Vault Guitar Pickups

Just bought myself one of these "Rude!" bridge humbuckers... came out to about $206 after tax (!). These guys are a new brand... but as their site says, they have decades of experience - including Dave Carpenter being involved.

A little backstory, Dave is the guy who worked for Gibson who was responsbile for some of their greatest custom runs... like the Stinger series '59 Pauls and his own signature hand-picked run of custom '59 bursts. He happens to live just a couple of blocks away from me, which I was unaware of until just recently... and he owns hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear, and all of the original guitars. He has an original '56 strat, several orignial '59 Les Pauls, an original Fender Broadcaster... you name it, he's got it. He is the mad scientist genius of tone (especially of the vintage variety).

These guys have special tools no one else has and diagnostic capabilities even beyond what the big guys at Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan have. It's like working with the secret guitar Illuminati. He insisted that the stock electronics in my SG weren't "worse", they were just "different", and I liked that; he was completely cognizant of the subjective nature of tone and of personal preference. He happened to have a special Les Paul that you could swap pickups in and out of, so I got to try all of the TVT pickups.. and wow.

The Other Woman is the greatest PAF tone I've ever heard. $250 per pickup though. As close as it gets to the real thing without spending $200,000 on a real '59. Soft and dreamy... and even gets that vowel-y "ooh" sound out of the BRIDGE PICKUP! Yes that's right... neck pick like tone out of the BRIDGE... never before have I experienced that.

The Jangletron literally can make your guitar sing and jangle like a Ric or a Strat... planning on getting one for the neck ASAP. Cuts through brightly even with a mahogany bodied guitar... I've never heard anything like it.

And of course, the RUDE!. I bought this one because when you roll off the volume just a bit, it sounds almost identical to the other TVT pickups... but it has that extra little boost at the top for soloing or whatever. It's like having a Tubescreamer built into your guitar or something. And it makes my reggae skank sound tighter and more musical than ever before. According to Dave, it's great for metal too... since no matter how fast you play, you can't overload the pickup or confuse it... it has the tightest bass and mid response of any pickup I've ever played.

The Rude! is replacing my EMG 81, which has been good to me since my earlier metal days... but this pickup makes the EMG 81 cry and hide under the blankets. Not only does it have more gain than the 81, but the clean tone is infinitely superior/more versatile (with the great tone and volume control possibilities), each note of a chord has equal volume and cuts through. The active EMG just has that shitty "I just plugged straight into the board and bypassed any and all tone" sound, even when plugged into a nice amp.

I would normally never, ever buy something that's worth a third of the total worth of my axe (my Gibson SG was $600 used)... but after hearing Dave wax poetic (no pun intended) about the higher frequencies and resonance and the mechanics of magnetism, I was absolutely washed away by his staggering level of knowledge and expertise and also by his humble demeanor. Dude stayed a half hour after the music store was closed and probably made his wife impatient just to bend over backwards to help an unknown reggae guitarist like myself try to find the perfect tone. Pretty sure these guys are new enough to the point where I'm getting one of the very first prototypes (as their website is still under construction)... but keep your eyes open for them.

These are probably going to be considered the holy grail of pickups in 40 years. What do you guys think?

Everyone probably thinks I'm a bot now, lol. Oh well. I'm getting mine installed today... pics soon to follow :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Everyone probably thinks I'm a bot now, lol. Oh well. I'm getting mine installed today... pics soon to follow :)

As far as "bots" for pickup brands go, I don't think too many people 'round here are in a position to cast stones.

Post videos!

BZM

Reaction score
I will ASAP! Just got word that my guitar is finished :) also installed was a tonepros locking bridge, tonepros klusons, tonepros low-weight stop tailpiece... practically the only things untouched were the nut and the neck pickup! (which is gonna be replaced by either a Jangletron or a "The Other Woman" as soon as I have another $200-250...)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Given you have a bunch of posts about a bunch of different stuff I think it's safe to assume you're not a not or astroturfer :lol:

Cool that you're excited, looking forward to hearing some clips. You do sounds a bit over the top "special diagnostic capabilities" :rofl:

Necky379

Reaction score
Their site isn't working too well for me. They may want to look into it.

BZM

Reaction score
AFAIK their site is still under construction (hence the "coming soon"), as they are such a new company.

I will say that I finally got my SG back, with newly installed Tonepros Bridge, tailpiece, and tuners. And the TVT Rude! installed. I wanted to cry, the difference was so night-and-day! I feel like with the new bridge it now plays better than any SG I've ever touched, regardless of price (and I've played '61 reissues, standards, deluxe, just about every SG out there). But I haven't gotten to the new tone yet.

It's never more apparent than when I'm playing on the stock neck pickup and then switch to the TVT. I can be holding out a chord, and instantly upon flicking the selector switch, BOOM, harmonics pop out and the most heavenly musical feedback start to flood my ears. With the volume dimed on the guitar, it's instant crunch, even to something as clean as a Fender Deluxe, and when I put it through a Bogner Ecstasy... the results were ridiculous. This guitar literally spits fire now. However, roll the volume on the guitar back to about 8, and it cleans up like a MIRACLE. Like, full strumming reggae skank without any breakup. Such versatility! You wouldn't be able to roll back the volume on a, say, Dimarzio X2N and get that sound.

I would imagine the vibe to be similar to a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb or something like that... but I honestly don't think that even the Bare Knuckles can even hold a candle to the TVT.

Also, this pickup has the tightest bass response I have EVER heard. This is the definition of a pro pickup... every tiny inflection from your pick, even the amount of pressure you use to palm mute, EVERY tiny nuance of your playing is showcased, which certainly forces you to be a better player. That was the only reasoning behind me buying an EMG 81 in the first place... because I heard it was unforgiving and would make me a better player. Too bad no one ever told me how terrible they were tone-wise! (well, they did, but I didn't listen).

Now this guitar will do everything from Red Hot Chilli Peppers funk and roots reggae to straight up chainsaw death metal... I've never been so happy in my life to be the owner of a guitar. The way it plays and sounds is unrecognizable from how it once was as a stock Gibson SG Special Faded... now I'm convinced it shits on even the $4,000+ Gibsons (it helps that former Gibson custom shop employees were the ones installing all this stuff for me and taking care of me, hehe!).

Videos/clips coming REAL soon!

BZM

Reaction score
Looks like the CEO of Tone Vault Pickups is interested in having me record some official demonstration videos for their website! Some pro-shot videos on some outrageous gear, coming as soon as tomorrow!

Latest posts

')