Stoner/Doom Metal on a Seven.

jcm900steroids

Reaction score
From what I have noticed is that most stoner/doom bands tune to the "classic death metal" tuning of drop B. I can definitely groove on a lot of that stuff with my 7 tuned to F and have also been thinking about incorporating some more elements like that into my band.
Basicly you cut the time on the riffs and let it ring more :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Isn't "classic death metal tuning" D standard like Autopsy etc did, or maybe B standard? Drop tunings weren't really used in the old death metal days AFAIK

pac1085

Reaction score
im trying out for a doom metal/fusion/weird band in a few days, they currently play b-standard on a 6 but if it works out im going to incorporate some 7 and 8 string riffs into it

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
When I feel like belting out some doomy goodness I use my seven. Hell, sometimes I tune it down to A standard to do it. Honestly, the main reason I want an 8 or a baritone that I can tune down even lower is so I can play doomy stuff lower than B or A.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Isn't "classic death metal tuning" D standard like Autopsy etc did, or maybe B standard? Drop tunings weren't really used in the old death metal days AFAIK

+1

I associate stoner/doom with the les paul and it's underlying characteristics; As someone mentioned earlier, the mahogany tied with medium output pickups is part of the key to the sound. Hell, an SG will do also!

I really don't see the use of a 7 string... unless...

A-7-string-Les-Paul.jpg

SirToastalot

Needs a better rig..
Reaction score
I'm sure Novembre use 7-string guitars.

Some earlier Cathedral stuff is definitely in B-standard (played on sixers), should be easily adapted to our good old 7-strings:

Seebu

Defenestrator
Reaction score
I've written some doom metal for seven string guitars, in drop A to be exact. I basically just ripped of what Nile does with their evil chords and slowed it down. Haha :D Sounds good to me. I've also used the 'extra' string as a sort of a drone string, to ring out some nasty dissonance and what not.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score

DUNNN DUNNN DUNNN DUNNN

:lol: :metal:

(iirc it's xAADF#B - drop A without the E, moving the low A up a slot and having the lowest string basically slack. They call it the 'bomb tuning'.)

Those are the guys!

lookralphsbak

Reaction score
Theres a band who play 6 strings in like D standard but with the low D tuned down so low it's like E maybe lower. They call it 'drop Z'. :lol: Can't remember who it was though.
Torche? My ex gf was telling me about a band that has the low string tuned way down and call it the "boom string" or something like that.

http://www.metalinjection.net/reviews/crustcake-presents-torche-in-return

+1

I associate stoner/doom with the les paul and it's underlying characteristics; As someone mentioned earlier, the mahogany tied with medium output pickups is part of the key to the sound. Hell, an SG will do also!

I really don't see the use of a 7 string... unless...

A-7-string-Les-Paul.jpg

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/se...7-string-epiphone-les-paul-studio-gothic.html

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/se...thread-7-string-epiphone-les-paul-pt-1-a.html

I can't wait to use those guitars live.

MatthewK

Reaction score
Sure, I mean you could play surf music on a BC Rich. I wouldn't, but you could.

goat violator

Procrastinator
Reaction score
I am fairly sure that one of the guys from Alantean Kodex used a Jackson 7 string on their last album ("The Golden Bough").
Though they are more Traditional Doom than Stoner...

WarTribe

Reaction score
I suppose this could be done given that you've got the gear to accomplish your desired tone. You may also want to be advised that most stoner/doom metal is played in C# (if my memory serves correct) which means that you'd have to tune your 7 up to achieve this in which case you'd probably be better off using a 6 and down-tuning. :2c:

I have to disagree a little bit here. The C# or Db tuning that you're speaking of is for a 6 string. Whoever wants to use a 7 string would only have to down tune the amount of steps needed to achieve the needed tuning. C#/Db is one and a half steps so the low B string would be what, G#/Ab? any style of music can be played on a 7 string. i would definitely do some doom/death metal on a 7 string guitar. very heavy and very low tuned. the way i love it!

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I have to disagree a little bit here. The C# or Db tuning that you're speaking of is for a 6 string. Whoever wants to use a 7 string would only have to down tune the amount of steps needed to achieve the needed tuning. C#/Db is one and a half steps so the low B string would be what, G#/Ab? any style of music can be played on a 7 string. i would definitely do some doom/death metal on a 7 string guitar. very heavy and very low tuned. the way i love it!

My band tunes half step down Drop Db then my 7th string often goes down to Ab. Sounds really cool. Strings are 10-56 so you get the doomy string vibrations. Not that what we do is in any way doom. But it definitely works. Agree, you can play anything on a 7 string, that's the point, you've already GOT those extra notes to rock out on!

lordrcceaser

Reaction score
I thought that a lot stoner metal bands that use sixers do so because they get tones they want from shorter scale guitars, and there aren't many shorter scale sevens out there.

celticelk

Reaction score
I thought that a lot stoner metal bands that use sixers do so because they get tones they want from shorter scale guitars, and there aren't many shorter scale sevens out there.

I've actually been wondering about that lately. A lot of those bands play Les Pauls and SGs, so it could be wood and pickup combinations as easily as scale length. Production 7-strings mostly appear to be designed for a different tonal spectrum. It's also a lot easier to replace a Paul or an SG at Random Tour Stop if you have an equipment failure, which might be a factor. Hell, it could even be purely aesthetic - superstrats don't *look* like doom guitars, at least to me. That said, the Ibanez ARZ-307 and the new PRS SE 7 look like reasonable candidates for an out-of-the-box doom 7 on those terms.

')