Stoner/Doom Metal on a Seven.

FretWizard88

Reaction score
I was just curious if anybody here has ever written a Stoner/Doom metal song on a seven string. I know a lot of guys simply use a Gibson LP, Wha Wha, and (insert Marshall or Orange here) for their gear.

I know it is not done a lot, so I think I am going to give it a go and try to write some Proggy Stoner/Doom with my trusty JP7.:metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
I suppose this could be done given that you've got the gear to accomplish your desired tone. You may also want to be advised that most stoner/doom metal is played in C# (if my memory serves correct) which means that you'd have to tune your 7 up to achieve this in which case you'd probably be better off using a 6 and down-tuning. :2c:

FretWizard88

Reaction score
Yeah, I already have my strat tuned to C# and it works great, I was just curious.

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
It's definitely worth a try, give it a shot and let us know how it turns out :yesway:

sun_of_nothing

King of the Strings
Reaction score
Since when does Stoner "have" to be in C#?

Mastodon can somewhat be considered stoner metal.

They normally play in D standard, but in several songs they tune their D down to A, so then then have AGCFAD, which is pretty much a 7 string tuned a step down, with the D string ommited.

EDIT- Sorry TXDeathMetal, the way I read your post made it seem like you were saying that Stoner had to be in C#, my bad.

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
Since when does Stoner "have" to be in C#?

Mastodon can somewhat be considered stoner metal.

They normally play in D standard, but in several songs they tune their D down to A, so then then have AGCFAD, which is pretty much a 7 string tuned a step down, with the D string ommited.

EDIT- Sorry TXDeathMetal, the way I read your post made it seem like you were saying that Stoner had to be in C#, my bad.

It's all good, I should have worded that better, what I meant was that the majority of stuff that I've heard that would be considered stoner/doom type stuff was played in C#.

grog50

Reaction score
Neurosis plays in drop A so you could definitely play that on a seven string, but I know they use 6's.

FretWizard88

Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose a lot of the stoner doom guys use 6's, but it would be interesting to do some stuff on a 7.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Well, yeah but he uses a double-coursed guitar (Like a 12-string) so it's pretty different.
Same range as a six too.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Apparently the guys from Mastodon do it as well, seeing as they're huge High on Fire fans.

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
Neurosis plays in drop A so you could definitely play that on a seven string, but I know they use 6's.

umm, I'm pretty sure neurosis has always played in drop d. I'm like 99.999% sure.

I think godflesh "recently" switched to sevens. they're like the only stoner/doom kinda band I can think of that uses them. I think it's a great idea though. "extra" low notes for the heavy parts, and you keep all the higher notes for the atmospheric parts.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Theres a band who play 6 strings in like D standard but with the low D tuned down so low it's like E maybe lower. They call it 'drop Z'. :lol: Can't remember who it was though.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Electric Wizard plays in B standard, perfectly doable on a 7. They're one of the absolute best in stoner right now, if you ask me.

Other doomy bands in B would be KYPCK (russian doom giants), Cathedral (If I remember correctly anyway), and more slugdy/post-metal than doomy, Pelican and Omega Massif.

ivancic1al

Probrem?
Reaction score
Nah bro, pretty sure you can't porperly accomplish the stoner tone unless you're rocking one of these:
wm1bk5.jpg

:lol:

But I play all kinds of stoner/doom songs on my 7. I tend to tune it up from B instead of in E standard with a low B. (i.e. tune the G string down to F#). Or sometimes I use the Isis tuning--B, F#, B G, F# B with a doubled B on both top strings, sounds pretty "doom-y". Your JP7 should do nicely then :yesway:

jcm900steroids

Reaction score
I was just curious if anybody here has ever written a Stoner/Doom metal song on a seven string. I know a lot of guys simply use a Gibson LP, Wha Wha, and (insert Marshall or Orange here) for their gear.

I know it is not done a lot, so I think I am going to give it a go and try to write some Proggy Stoner/Doom with my trusty JP7.:metal:
I use a les paul traditional and a jcm 900 on my post metal / sludge band ^_^ however I think you can use a 7s with passive pups and mahogany body. (The darker tone of the wood and the passive/medium output pups should be the key to the tone)

ry_z

Ikebana Noise Club
Reaction score
Theres a band who play 6 strings in like D standard but with the low D tuned down so low it's like E maybe lower. They call it 'drop Z'. :lol: Can't remember who it was though.

DUNNN DUNNN DUNNN DUNNN

:lol: :metal:

(iirc it's xAADF#B - drop A without the E, moving the low A up a slot and having the lowest string basically slack. They call it the 'bomb tuning'.)

diatron5

Reaction score
From what I have noticed is that most stoner/doom bands tune to the "classic death metal" tuning of drop B. I can definitely groove on a lot of that stuff with my 7 tuned to F and have also been thinking about incorporating some more elements like that into my band.

')