Stoner guitars with floyds/fine tuners: do they exist?

• Thread starter vilk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Finally set up my Jackson to be backup for my stoner doom metal band, and I gotta say the tuning stability on this thing is just the best. I had forgotten what it's like to not have to tune your guitar after every single song. And if I do have to tune at all, I can get it perfectly perfect in like a fraction of a second. I even bough those Graph Tech Ratio tuners for my SG thinking the 39:1 ratio might give me something close to the fine tuning system on a floyd, but still it's no contest.

I am curious if I could find a guitar that fits the stoner aesthetic while also having a Gibson scale and also having a floyd rose or some kind of locking nut/fine tuner system. I do realize I could possibly get a Gibson TP-6 and some kind of locking nut for my SG... But then again mine is an ESP made lawsuit guitar, so measurements might not be exactly the same (probably metric instead of imperial, right?). Who knows, maybe I will look into that someday. But in the meantime, I'm just curious about what's out there! Anything come to mind?

I should mention: this has nothing to do with the floating bridge or using the trem, for me. This is 100% about tuning stability, I'm gonna immediately block the thing. I used to have an RG2228A that had a non floating locking """trem""" system, I'm surprised that never caught on.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Evertune?
I've never touched one so I don't even know! I've heard that they are at more stable than just a plain ol' bridge... how do they stack up against the stability of a locking nut/floating bridge?

Can you even adjust the tuning of a guitar with an evertune on the fly? Or is something like that rendered unnecessary because it automatically retunes itself? Do people with evertune bridges even have tuner pedals on their board?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
get an LTD EC1000 ET or whatever they're called. evertune loaded, LP style guitar and scale length. tuning stability is literally the schtick of the evertune, and from what I could tell it handles the abuse really well (I tried my best to bend the b string out of tune over the course of 20 mins but it never really budged).
The other option is try to find an LP style guitar with a floating bridge, which outside of kramer assaults aren't very common from what I've seen.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I wonder if they make an eclipse or floyd LP that doesn't have the pokey outey heel. I know they make them without it without locking system...

I love the way les pauls look but I always thought it was so crazy that people adore them the way they do with that abysmal upper fret access. Do you just get used to turning your thumb perpendicular to the normal position?

stevexc

Reaction score
I wonder if they make an eclipse or floyd LP that doesn't have the pokey outey heel. I know they make them without it without locking system...

I love the way les pauls look but I always thought it was so crazy that people adore them the way they do with that abysmal upper fret access. Do you just get used to turning your thumb perpendicular to the normal position?

xlarge.png

EC-1000ET

xlarge.png

EC-1001FR

That what you're looking for?

Demiurge

Reaction score
I do realize I could possibly get a Gibson TP-6 and some kind of locking nut for my SG... But then again mine is an ESP made lawsuit guitar, so measurements might not be exactly the same (probably metric instead of imperial, right?).

If your concern is that your guitar features "import spacing", I see that eBay has some Epiphone versions of the TP-6. There's also a Schaller version but that one retrofits Gibson spacing- have you measured?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
tuning stability is literally the schtick of the evertune, and from what I could tell it handles the abuse really well (I tried my best to bend the b string out of tune over the course of 20 mins but it never really budged).

When you bend the string, did it climb the correct number of semitones that it should have? Like, since there's a spring in the back and nothings locked, I would worry that it would just pull the spring and the bend wouldn't sound like it bent enough?

If your concern is that your guitar features "import spacing", I see that eBay has some Epiphone versions of the TP-6. There's also a Schaller version but that one retrofits Gibson spacing- have you measured?

I haven't yet. I only just did up my Jackson last night and started thinking about the subject of this thread while I was on my lunch break walk a couple hours ago :lol:

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
When you bend the string, did it climb the correct number of semitones that it should have? Like, since there's a spring in the back and nothings locked, I would worry that it would just pull the spring and the bend wouldn't sound like it bent enough?

I haven't yet. I only just did up my Jackson last night and started thinking about the subject of this thread while I was on my lunch break walk a couple hours ago :lol:
it basically doesn't budge at all from where the tuning is set if it's in zone 1. I know you can set it so bends work but in zone 1 you basically can't bend at all. there's other guys on here that have spent way more time with evertunes so they could probably help more on that front.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Probably rare and pricey but there was a SG Floyd model a few years back.

SG50DEBCT1-Finish-Shot.jpg

I’ve also seen someone use a TP-6 and Floyd FRX Nut together on a ESP Phoenix.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Get dude from Balaquer to make you a Hyperion with a floyd?

Strobe

Reaction score
I too, have preferred double locking trem equipped guitars specifically for the tuning stability. I have used them for years, and I am not a big trem user (getting more so but at start almost never). The evertune is a better engineering solution if you're nuts over tuning stability. I hate the way tuning up can disrupt the flow of a live show, so I have tried a number of solutions - from robot tuners (pretty good) to Floyds (very good, but with a lot of setup headaches) to evertune (best solution imo if you do not change tuning mid set).

There are a lot of LTD / ESP options with this bridge standard.

Xk6m6m5X

Reaction score
You could do locking tunners and they make a stop tail piece with fine tuners‍♂️

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Or just get your guitar set up well, stretch strings after restringing and check tuning?

Are you not checking tuning anyway?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Or just get your guitar set up well, stretch strings after restringing and check tuning?

Are you not checking tuning anyway?
I was thinking maybe I need to like grease up the nut. I've heard to use a pencil? Does that really help tuning stability? I'm sure it would at least make the needle less jumpy when I'm tuning. Love the way the needle moves so smooth when you use the fine tuners on a FR.

But I've owned many different guitars, FR and non. I think it's the locking nut that makes all the difference. I also like the way it feels. I used to hate them because of how (comparatively) complicated they are, but blocked up I guess recently I'm enjoying it more.