Stoner guitars with floyds/fine tuners: do they exist?

• Thread starter vilk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe I need to like grease up the nut. I've heard to use a pencil? Does that really help tuning stability? I'm sure it would at least make the needle less jumpy when I'm tuning.

The strings can bind in the nut, which is how you get that "ping" when tuning. If they are catching a little bit, you'll get that jump you're talking about.

A properly set up guitar shouldn't go out of tune that often. It's before 6am on saturday and I nearly wrote "town" :lol:.

I compulsively check my tuning at any break in any song during our set. If I don't have to adjust a tuner, I still took that half second to check tuning anyway - so locking/trem/wraptail becomes irrelevant IMO. As my producer/engineer friend likes to say, "ABC - Always Be Chuning". Having a properly set up guitar just means you'll have to make actual adjustments way less frequently.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
Don't know about the stoner aesthetic but the old Jackson Fusions have a gibson scale length and a floyd. I have one and i have played it on a Sunn Beta amp countless times if that's stoner enough for you :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe I need to like grease up the nut. I've heard to use a pencil? Does that really help tuning stability? I'm sure it would at least make the needle less jumpy when I'm tuning. Love the way the needle moves so smooth when you use the fine tuners on a FR.

But I've owned many different guitars, FR and non. I think it's the locking nut that makes all the difference. I also like the way it feels. I used to hate them because of how (comparatively) complicated they are, but blocked up I guess recently I'm enjoying it more.
Big Bend's Nut Sauce is solid.
Outlier recommendation since you love your SG. LTD TM-600, came in black and gold. If it weren't for the flat top I probably would've jumped on these way back.
518618000974000-00-500x500.jpg

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
Pencil graphite def helps. I use it even on a graphite nut.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
8oWhyOG.jpg

One of the Floyded Agile LPs could be kinda stonery. I think some mods/relicing and the wonky body shape lend themselves to that well.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
When you bend the string, did it climb the correct number of semitones that it should have? Like, since there's a spring in the back and nothings locked, I would worry that it would just pull the spring and the bend wouldn't sound like it bent enough?

Basically, you can setup an evertune to never budge or the degree of bending necessary for it to be heard. Setting it up to your taste is a pretty long process but once it's done, it's done. Also, it's string by string. You can set your low E to no bending ever and other strings differently.
Check before buying what's the maximum gauge it takes, if you play 80es in drop Z it's not going to fit.

secretpizza

Reaction score
Dunable guitars are all about the stoner metal aesthetic, and they offer Floyds as an option - check their Instagram and you’ll see a couple R2s with Floyds.

Only catch is that you’d have to hurry on a custom build - tomorrow they start doing a surcharge for full custom orders.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Dunable guitars are all about the stoner metal aesthetic, and they offer Floyds as an option - check their Instagram and you’ll see a couple R2s with Floyds.

Only catch is that you’d have to hurry on a custom build - tomorrow they start doing a surcharge for full custom orders.

I second this! Dunable does to an doublecut LP style model called the Moonflower by request, AFAIK.

bracky

Contributor
Reaction score
Remember to only tune up to pitch. Because of the free play in the gearing of the tuning key if you tune downward it will eventually go flat.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Man you guys, this dude out in the burbs is selling his Carvin CM140... it's literally exactly what I'm looking for. LP, but with a carved neck that appears to be either neckthru (Which I'm assuming it is just because it's Carvin) or setneck, and a fine tuner tailpiece. It's not priced unreasonably, 750 he's asking for... but I just can't afford it. And especially because we are trying to hit the studio soon.

So I ordered an Epiphone TP-6 from ebay for $30. No idea if it will fit, but we gonna find out in 15-30 days! Actually what I'm most concerned about is whether the 62 guage string I use is going to fit in there. But I figure I could probably use my dremel to widen it out somehow if I need to...

Anyone ever unwind the thick area of a string just by the ball? Wonder if that might be an option as well.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Agile AL FR? Didnt they do that?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Agile AL FR? Didnt they do that?
Yeah, they didn't have any new ones on Rondo when I checked the other day, but I do realize they exist. But they've got those heels, man... for that reason alone was leaning towards the eclipses over any traditional LPs... Also, now that I know that Carvin CM140s exist, I feel like they are top of the list now. And especially it's made in the USA, and they aren't even priced so high, come with fine tuner tailpiece and no blocks necessary. And I think they look awesome. If we weren't about to book studio time I would probably go buy that one the dude by me is selling.

However it does call to question: how good will fine tuners really be without a locking nut? I guess we'll find out once my tp-6 gets here.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
IMG-20190416-195845812.jpg

So I got this $30 """"Epiphone"""" TP-6. It's not made by Epiphone :lol:

It wouldn't fit on the Gotoh studs, but they were the same thread, so I was able to screw out the Gotoh studs and screw in the """"Epiphone"""" studs into the same... uh... inside-the-guitar-part-of-the-stud. So relatively painless transition.

It does work. It's like... 100x stiffer than floyd rose fine tuners, in combination with the fact that they are super smooth, no FR style nodules... there's like almost some kind of texture, but it's so faint that I can't even tell you what it's like. I wonder if some kind of lubricant would help? What kind of lube do you put on FR fine tuners? But it also might be the fact that these fine tuners are pulling directly on the string, rather than pressing on a thing that presses on a thing that presses on a string like the FR.

Yeah, I guess this doesn't really solve the issue of going out of tune over the course of an 11 minute song... but I was curious and I did it and I like it. This thing is kinda cheapy but I imagine that a slightly better crafted version of it by either Schaller or Gibson would be pretty cool. Especially if you can actually grip the fine tuners lol.

Last edited:

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
It does work. It's like... 100x stiffer than floyd rose fine tuners, in combination with the fact that they are super smooth, no FR style nodules... there's like almost some kind of texture, but it's so faint that I can't even tell you what it's like. I wonder if some kind of lubricant would help? What kind of lube do you put on FR fine tuners? But it also might be the fact that these fine tuners are pulling directly on the string, rather than pressing on a thing that presses on a thing that presses on a string like the FR.

The Floyd Rose tuners should be renamed to "Not fine", I cannot believe how unresponsive they can be at times and how quickly they reach their threshold. I use Dr. Duck Axe Wax as lube for all my fine tuners, never had a problem with it and would definitely recommend it.

Also, all the guitars posted are wrong, below you can see a real stoner guitar. marijuana-guitar.jpg

Latest posts