Stoner Rock thread?

• Thread starter ericsleepless
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really got into Meshuggah more-so after listening to some Progressive Metal and "Stoner" Metal. So I've always had a passion for the slow brutal stuff that I wasn't sure was even popular much anymore.

Example above.

As I post this I wonder how sick this stuff would be on extended range guitars. I think the band Sleep uses extended range.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
As I post this I wonder how sick this stuff would be on extended range guitars. I think the band Sleep uses extended range.

I think its quite the opposite. Matt Pike uses 24.75 inch guitars, which are perfect for getting a stoner/sludgy sound since they have less clarity then an ERG. :D

Or he might also use a 25.5 inch guitar. I don't know the exact scale on his First Act, which you might be thinking off as his ERG since its a 9 string, but it works more like a 12-string then an ERG.

But since we're talking about stoner music, you always need to mention Sabbath's third album, IMO. :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, during his stint in Sleep, Pike used a goldtop LP into Green amps/cabs and that was a bout it. That along with Al's Rickenbacker tone created one thick mother of a tone. Same for the Wizard, Jus Oborn uses pretty much nothing but SGs as does Liz running into Matamps/Sunns.

Longer scale and more strings doesn't necessarily = heavier sound

tuneinrecords

Reaction score
Truckfighters are where it's at for stoner metal. Melvins are also great for heavy with a capital H.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
I'm all about some stoner rock/metal. My band recently started moving in a more stoner metal direction, and I can definitely confirm that ERGs are sweet for it - i play a 7 string in drop G, and another guitarist plays down an octave using a pitch shifter pedal. :hbang: Anyway, here's some of my favorites:

morrowcosom

Reaction score

Slow, bass heavy stoner bands are what I think of when I think of heavy. Sheer sonic weight.

Funeralopolis

The Dopethrone CD by Electric Wizard definitely causes earthquakes and blackholes to form.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score

Church of Misery has been one of my favorites since I found them. All of their songs are about serial killers, also they're from Japan.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I recorded my own little Stoner Metal thing about 6 months ago, I had been listening to Electric Wizard and the like.

"Gone" by stc423 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I actually came into this thread to post Funeralopolis, good shit :yesway:

Sure I commented on this before but this was awesome. When we tried to write a stoner song (Rob's words: "I really want us to write a stoner song") this is what came out 10,000 Years by Death Ape Disco on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I like the fun side of stoner Dozer - The Hills Have Eyes (w/ lyrics) - YouTube

This kinda thing :) In other news, I still have no idea how to embed.

EmpulseOrange

Reaction score
HELL YES!

Most have been posted, but:

THE MELVINS

SEEMLESS

Orange Goblin

Earthless

The Sword

Kylesa

Dozer

Unida

Blowback

Colour Haze ---> Amazing band

Graveyard

Witchcraft (more doom meets classic rock)

Black River Revival - (my band, HAD to plug it ha)

Didn't Matt Pike use a Laney AOR in sleep as well? At least for Holy Mountain? I use my 7 stringer in our band, tuned UP to C standard, so I get an extra string to solo with, ha, nah the scale just fits so much better, and the sound is a lot cleaner. I actually like a good guitar tone, not just a shitload of fuzz lol

EmpulseOrange

Reaction score
Checked out Truckfighters.... How I didn't know about this band sooner, I don't know.

Amazing. Thank you VERY much for that!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
My band is actually kinda stoner/doom-inspired. baritone guitar tuned to a loooow drop Db, and with some inspiration from Russian Circles, AAL, and many many other things.

I am always impressed with how nasty and powerful some of these stoner bands get their sound.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
In before Tim gets here and schools everyone on stoner/doom/sludge.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
HELL YES!

Most have been posted, but:

THE MELVINS

SEEMLESS

Orange Goblin

Earthless

The Sword

Kylesa

Dozer

Unida

Blowback

Colour Haze ---> Amazing band

Graveyard

Witchcraft (more doom meets classic rock)

Black River Revival - (my band, HAD to plug it ha)

Didn't Matt Pike use a Laney AOR in sleep as well? At least for Holy Mountain? I use my 7 stringer in our band, tuned UP to C standard, so I get an extra string to solo with, ha, nah the scale just fits so much better, and the sound is a lot cleaner. I actually like a good guitar tone, not just a shitload of fuzz lol

D'oh! You're right, it was a Laney AOR and it's even visible in the Dragonaut video :lol: Totally forgot, I think it was later in his career that he switched to Green Amps which helped sky-rocket them into stoner-rocker cult status, as well as the price too.

')