Stoner/Sludge Metal Thread

• Thread starter Vostre Roy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rug

Reaction score
I am *way* too hungover to go hunting for Youtube links this morning, but some bands to check out...

Mouth of the Architect (one song of theirs has, hands down, the BEST and meanest sounding chord ever in the history of recorded music)
Supercontinent
Rosetta
The Mire
The Ocean (Collective)

While not strictly sludge, I can't imagine someone liking sludge and not liking Ken Mode. Fucking heavy as shit.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
The new Orwell album came out on Tuesday, and it is absolutely amazing!

Abraham is one of my favorite bands as well. I don't think they are too well known here in the states.

American Heritage are also pretty sick.

Also, if you like Remission-era Mastodon => http://colliderslays.bandcamp.com/

rug

Reaction score
Haha, I thought about mentioning Abraham, but figured no one else would know about them. That album is sooooo good. Saloon Bizarre kicks so much ass. I don't know who, but one of their members is also in Kruger.

My band is actually playing with Orwell tomorrow and I hadn't heard their new shit yet, thanks for reminding me! And holy shit, these guys have really fucking grown. Jesus Christ, this is good.

Another sort of local/regional band around here is Battlefields - you would do well to check them out, they're getting a ton of hype over the past year or two, and it is well deserved, because they fucking slay. I would not be surprised to see them recognized on a more national scale once their new album is out.

I'm going to assume you've heard of Intronaut, but if you haven't, ignore every other recommendation in this thread and listen to them. Again, not strictly sludge, but I don't know too many people who don't like Intronaut. :D

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
THE WIZUUUUUUUUUUUUUURD

These guys are also fucking cool, the intro to this is the heaviest riff EVUH:

And these guys:

Not always a stoner/sludge band but this is a cool song with a heavy, heavy riff:

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
Yob is my absolute favorite band, and they are sludgy as hell. Their guitarist/singer Mike Scheidt is extremely nice, and was more than willing to hang out and chat after a recent show in NYC :hbang:. Their new album ATMA has some great tracks, but the mixing/mastering is very polarizing; I know some people that love it, and some that hate it.

Here's the first song of theirs I heard, Grasping Air. It's heavy as sin, and got me back into playing music after a long break.

Another amazing song, Burning the Altar:

Septor

Reaction score
Check out Acid Bath - Dope fiend, seriously, the best sludge metal band evar.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
oh, yeah! as much as everyone around here is into low tunings i'm surprised this doesn't come up more often. it's so cool.

the first band i ever heard like this was 'winter'. there were really amazing. i was hooked for sure.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I guess I could put this here. The entire Such Hawks Such Hounds documentary is on YouTube. Really cool history of the genre.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Necro-bumping my own thread to put some stuff that I'm into now and still looking for other suggestions! If it falls into the post-rock/metal subgenre, feel free to post it aswell!

My girlfriend fell in love with Anciients, we went to see them live along with Black Wizard, was a pretty trippy gig!

HARK

Summoner

Old Man Lizard

Gandhi's Gunn (now known as Isaak)

And my two favorite albums of last year

Weedpecker

Maeth

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Special love for Hark, Crystalline is one of my albums of 2014 for sure!!

')