Stop Wearing Trench Coats and Fedoras.

• Thread starter orby
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:yesway:

C684B14B-9AF6-97F4-A0C4F81CD590F1BB.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Personally I would definitely go with jeans or chinos (if the sweaters suit chinos) instead of cargo pants. Looks cleaner and more sophisticated.
But whatever floats your boat.

On the topic of expensive: It's a very common misconception that looking good is pricey, it really isn't if you look in the right places. It doesn't have to be that ridiculous brand sweater that costs $500, when you can get one for $20 that looks pretty much just like it.

Half true. Looking good is as much about clothes fitting worth a damn as it is clothes looking decent on their own. Average joe may or may not find ready-to-wear clothing reasonably fitting, but if you need any sort of tapered/slim/modern/athletic fit (names and meaning vary somewhat between companies) then things get a little more complicated. For instance, my build is mostly slim due to light bone structure (30" waist, slim arms despite having some muscle on them), but my chest and shoulders are of a more average sizing so finding something that truly fits top-to-bottom is difficult for me. I've pretty much given up on finding anything that fits straight off the rack and focus on finding something that fits in the upper body (shoulders, neck, proper arm hole and sleeve cuts, etc) in hopes that a tailor can fix the rest.

Mind you I live in the US; from what I understand "European" cuts tend to be better fitted.

Murmel

Reaction score
Half true. Looking good is as much about clothes fitting worth a damn as it is clothes looking decent on their own. Average joe may or may not find ready-to-wear clothing reasonably fitting, but if you need any sort of tapered/slim/modern/athletic fit (names and meaning vary somewhat between companies) then things get a little more complicated. For instance, my build is mostly slim due to light bone structure (30" waist, slim arms despite having some muscle on them), but my chest and shoulders are of a more average sizing so finding something that truly fits top-to-bottom is difficult for me. I've pretty much given up on finding anything that fits straight off the rack and focus on finding something that fits in the upper body (shoulders, neck, proper arm hole and sleeve cuts, etc) in hopes that a tailor can fix the rest.

Mind you I live in the US; from what I understand "European" cuts tend to be better fitted.

You're fit sounds exactly like mine, I mean like spot on. Fit is very important, and I can't wear anything but slim fit stuff. Size S from H&M fits me pretty much perfectly when it comes to upper body stuff, started to get tight as of late though because I'm bulking, so might have to size up to M soon (which will probably be a bit too big).

One has to remember that every brand has a different fit. A size S shirt from H&M won't fit the same as a size S from some place focused on middle aged men.

The only thing I have trouble finding is dress shirts and suit jackets. If they're good at the waist, they're too narrow in the shoulders.
And if good in the shoulders, then too wide in the waist.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
You're fit sounds exactly like mine, I mean like spot on. Fit is very important, and I can't wear anything but slim fit stuff. Size S from H&M fits me pretty much perfectly when it comes to upper body stuff, started to get tight as of late though because I'm bulking, so might have to size up to M soon (which will probably be a bit too big).

One has to remember that every brand has a different fit. A size S shirt from H&M won't fit the same as a size S from some place focused on middle aged men.

The only thing I have trouble finding is dress shirts and suit jackets. If they're good at the waist, they're too narrow in the shoulders.
And if good in the shoulders, then too wide in the waist.

Definitely varies from company to company. H&M is a better fit than most for me; a bit loose at the waist still (I'm a medium in the chest) and could be a tiny bit tighter in the sleeves, but thankfully those things can be altered.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
You don't have to be rich. You can find similar stuff at Walmart/Target/H&M for cheap. The most expensive stuff is outerwear and shoes.
The walmarts in my area sell nothing fashionable. Nice button-downs, maybe. But all the pants are slacks, sweats, or ugly rustler/wrangler stuff marketed to rednecks. I will spend a decent bit for clothes. But sometimes $150 or so for shoes is hard to justify.

Edit: looked on targets website. Looks promising.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Hey!

Don't you knock my Wal-Mart Wranglers (that are actual Levi's) for I am NO redneck.

...and yeah, Target definitely has better stuff and you'd be surprised at how often that same stuff can be on clearance for in-store. We have cardigans going for 30% off and my last Merona pullover was 50% off. Shit like that you only find online.

Not sure how close you are to the Lawrence/Manhattan region of KS but I think their store is fairly large like mine so it'll have more of a softlines selection to offer

soliloquy

Reaction score
Is that the motherfucking Question??

"did you go through that mans trash?!"
Question: " dont be ridiculous, i go through EVERYONE'S trash!"

Question: "the end tips of the shoelaces are called aglets, and their actual purpose is truly sinister!"

i love question and how insane he is

johnny_ace

Reaction score
Fedora and coveralls while doing Metal work?

546150_10151182087280939_2017951478_n.jpg

..... actually couldnt find my cap and found the hat in a box i was like fuck it ...but i do not wear a trench coat i preffer pea coat minus the fedora

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if that's the same person as I'm thinking of, but Constantine gets away with it too

hellblazer-john-constantine.jpg

It seems like trench-coats and fedoras are either a dated combo that seems out of place when used in reality, or only for comic books and other types of media

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Fedoras have been in style for like 70 years running. They aren't coming back into fashion, class is.

Glad to see 3 piece suits may be coming back too. Suits are the best way to dress. And the Under-vest just makes them that extra bit of awesome.

')