Stopping floyd rose spring reverb!

• Thread starter WarOfAttrition
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarOfAttrition

Reaction score
I didn't know how to search for it but can somebody please help me? When I am playing my guitar the springs in the back cavity make this echo and it is really annoying! The springs keep rattling too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
You can use foam to prevent them from moving. I think also wrapping insulating tape around then works as well. Essentially, anything that will stop them vibrating would work!

vanhendrix

Reaction score
Yeah I always cut out a piece of foam and stick it in the back cavity. I also use a smaller piece of the same foam to deaden the strings behind the nut. Cuts down the amount of feedback you'll have in a big way

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Place a piece of electrical tape over each spring.

ibanezcollector

Gear Junkie
Reaction score
stick cotton inside the springs themselves, not on top, you can use foam too this will dampen them better then anything laying on top of them. Plus its cleaner you can remove the springs etc with out anything falling out etc.

thrill74

Contributor
Reaction score
All these are great, and I've used the foam and cotton. Via uses Kleenex I believe.

Reaction score
I'm having THE SAME problem,the kind of reverb after i play (i mostly hear it when i'm playing without amp) so,i'll be putting the tape,but also,for guitars that have a string retainer bar (like my RG7420) where should i put the foam after the nut? before or after the string retainer?

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
I'm having THE SAME problem,the kind of reverb after i play (i mostly hear it when i'm playing without amp) so,i'll be putting the tape,but also,for guitars that have a string retainer bar (like my RG7420) where should i put the foam after the nut? before or after the string retainer?

Put it inbetween the tuners and the retainer - the distance between the retainer and the nut is so small, and there is little sympathetic ringing.

I have just stuck foam under the strings there.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Dingy me, I thought that was supposed to add to the sound!

:evil:

On a serious note, none of these mess with tuning or such?

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i cut out strips of old mousepads and put them into the hollow core of the springs. it kills vibration fast, but doesn't pinch in the springs as you whammy (like foam and cotton does), so it doesn't affect the action or tuning at all.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Wouldn't cotton and Kleenex type solutions get caught in between the springs when they stretch and compress? I've been planning on getting the noiseless springs myself, just haven't gotten around to ordering them.

Rev.

Latest posts

')